61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

• This topic has 647 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by neil hp.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

I'VE even found 2 pairs of different propellor shaft "A" frames………

One set [the smaller pair] being from the Ann Letitia Russell boat I designed 27 years ago and the larger pair was for the 51' Barnett class built 11 years ago………….

I'm like a squirrel………..I hoard everything……..

you never know when they will come in handy.

That saves a great amount of work, laithe turning, drilling, cutting legs and silver soldering and then cleaning off.

life is peachy.

img_2859.jpg

img_2860.jpg

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

Done some more searching and resurecting of old generic fittings this afternoon after the heat dropped a little…………….

not that I mind this heat………reminds me of my life in Australia when the temperatures were this high week on week in the summer…………..loved it!

Anyway, I found 64 two ball stanchions that I cast some years ago when I possessed a centrifuge caster and melt pot…..

As the fittings were for my own use and not commercial, I put a little more lead into the mix with the white metal than with commercial fittings, to give a much more workable stanchion that would bend rather than break when knocked [as shown in the one bent double].

I also found two fisherman's pattern type anchors and their support stanchions,
        And finally some cropped single ball stanchions for if I need them, but not checked on that one yet……..

so all comming together nicely.

img_2873.jpg

img_2872.jpg

img_2874.jpg

img_2875.jpg

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Always puts a grin on the face to find bits in the bit box that will save you some work. The problem is that I add to the bit box a lot faster than I use stuff!

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp
            Posted by Richard Simpson on 18/07/2022 09:10:55:

Always puts a grin on the face to find bits in the bit box that will save you some work. The problem is that I add to the bit box a lot faster than I use stuff!

so true Richard, but i have a great overal plan……….

to keep building lifeboats untill all my bits are used and then relax in the sun and sail what i have built……..

as at the moment, its either work on the house, garden and boats and not sail,

or sail and no work,,,,,,,,,,then i get it in the neck from my daughters for not maintaining the house………..

can't win lol.

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

I thought I had some cast "feet" for the prop shaft support brackets, but l couldn't find any when looking though my spairs yesterday, so quickly made some from 1.5mm plasticard remnants this morning.

I'll now drill the legs for some pins to locate into the supports and through the hull once made making a good strong joint.

img_2877.jpg

img_2878.jpg

img_2879.jpg

img_2880.jpg

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

AND all stanchions were drilled through the balls this afternoon.

just need to find some leather eyelets in the worksho tomorrow for the bases……..unlike the stanchioms that had special brackets to mount on to the toe boards on later boats, these had simple ones that attached to the deck……..simple fix.

img_2889.jpg

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

Whilst looking through my lifeboat fittings the other day for parts to use for my 61' Barnett I came across the masters for a major part that adorned the engine casing of my earlier 51' Barnett, RNLB Mary Stanford, probably thee most famous lifeboat in RNLI history.

I used these masters to make moulds for producing white metal and resin mouldings. One set being sent to Mike Pendlebury for his modification to an a feature for a mark 2 52' Barnett he was bulding at the time.

To be honest I don't know whether I still have those moulds or sent them on to a friend for production purposes,

It was a hand wound windlass. the later mk2 52' Barnets carried an electric windlass.

And so I decided to check through Nicholas Leach's book on the 60/61' Barnetts to see if this item was on any of them, as it was a period piece of that era.

And the answer was yes [most probably] on two of the four boats that I could see, although the shapes were shrouded in black covers.

One of those boats was the RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow.

And so, I have decided to use these masters and with modellers licence, am going to eventually use it on the engine casing of my 61' Barnett.

img_2890.jpg

img_2891 (1).jpg

nearly finished (9).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 19/07/2022 18:07:26

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

We al like a bargain some time…….

and boy oh boy did i get one this morning, only had to wait 3 years for it.

Picked up my obeche for building my plug for the 61' RNLBPrincess Mary of Padstow.

Got 4 .5 planks of obeche, 1" x 10" x 7 foot run for just £54.45p , rough sawn……..

the nearest i found on ebay was a 1" x 7" x 36" par, for one piece only, at nearly £74 quid……..the equivalent of what i just bought would have cost me, ebay price £766.00p inc. VAT………..

NOW !!! that WAS a bargain……….even came with 3 years of dust free, lol.

img_2892.jpg

img_2894.jpg

img_2895.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Good to see the obeche planks have arrived, any decent sized off cuts let me know

Here's a photo I took on the beach at Eastbourne on Sunday for you with their inshore RIB and the tracked Bobcat they use to launch with. I nearly was press-ganged into working in the shop for them !!

They practice on Sunday morning tearing around Beachy Head light house.rnli rib & bobcat.jpg

Regards Ray

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp
                        Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 20/07/2022 15:24:34:

Hi Neil,

Good to see the obeche planks have arrived, any decent sized off cuts let me know

Here's a photo I took on the beach at Eastbourne on Sunday for you with their inshore RIB and the tracked Bobcat they use to launch with. I nearly was press-ganged into working in the shop for them !!

They practice on Sunday morning tearing around Beachy Head light house.rnli rib & bobcat.jpg

Regards Ray

never seen one of those Ray……..we lower ours into the pen from a crane, and blackpool and Lytham use an M3 tractor i think to launch their D classes………..a neet little tractor from what your picture shown…..thanks for posting it.

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

after picking up my obeche this morning, I then went to the print shop that i always use, Granthams in BLACKPOOL…… the guys in there are super fantastic helpful, to have my titivated plans enlarged.

Everything came out well, except for the enlarged deapth of the keel, which looks a little too deep.

And so i have taken the measurements from the deck line of the sections to the keel base line where the cross sections meet the keel, and can tacke up any discrepancy on the base of the keel line, or if i want to use modellers licence and make the hull about 12mm deaper, cutting the depth of the keel 12mm , i can add the 12 mm at the top of the hull,making the hull a little deaper, as i presume the windermere sail postponed from this year due to very rough weather will go ahead, and as the old saying goes……………"i think we need a bigger boat"

difference between the first and last of the 4 boats shown to 1;12 scale.

img_2897.jpg

the stations for the bulkheads marked

img_2898.jpg

img_2900.jpg

img_2901.jpg

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

tonight i fitted the carbon copy paper under the plan of the starboard side profile, and transfered the hull lines and stations……………

havent used my french curves in years , and i thought i might have to use my drawing instruments which my dad bought me for my first day in Technical and then building drawing at "high" school in 1962……….those instruments are precious to me, lol…….very happy memories of my high school days.

Anyway, the lines and stations were transfered, and the main backbone/keel of the boat is ready for cutting out tomorrow.

The backbone is 9mm multi layer mahogany faced ply.

Once cut the sectional cross frames can be marked out and cut………but that won't take place until i have picked up another bargain of plywood off cuts from the Lakes District on monday morning………and absolutely free to boot !!!

img_2915.jpg

img_2919.jpg

img_2920.jpg

img_2921.jpg

img_2922.jpg

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

Today the day to jump in with both feet and start some "building".

I have done enough preperation, and marking out of the main backbone, having plans enlarged, sorting out fittings etc, and it was about time i put timber to saw.

after wighing up the size of the boat and how i was going to cut it out of the 9mm ply, i decided to remove the blade from the band saw and use the bed to put the timber on, and cut it out with my trusty ELU jig saw……….perfect, came out a treat.

then i marked out on ply the first two cross frames, using the marked up frames on the mounting card i had marked earlier for frames 5 & 6 and cut them out on the band saw, after replacing the blade……….again….worked well. finally cut back the marked card for frames 4 and 7, cutting off the markings for frames 5 & 6.

once frames 4 &7 are marked on ply and cut out, the card will again me marked with frames 3 & 8, and so on until i finally end up with all frames marked and cut out…..simples really………just needed a bit of thought and forward thinking.

img_2930.jpg

img_2933.jpg

img_2935.jpg

img_2940.jpg

img_2943.jpg

and thats the last frame i can cut until i get some new supplies on monday.and thats the last frame i can cut until i get some new supplies on monday.

img_2944.jpg

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

made a bit of a blunder on frame 7 last night in haste to get it cut.

i cut the start of the two propellor shaft tunnels to the wrong line, as they should have been much shallower than the chunk i cut out.

so have made two fillets to go back in to the cut outs this morning and glued back in using 5 minute epoxy.

it wasn't until i came to mark out ftame 8 last night that i realised….but all is now well and back on track

img_2944.jpg

img_2947.jpg

img_2948.jpg

BIT MESSY , but it'll clean up.

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Slap a load of paint on it, you'll never know!

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp
                                    Posted by Richard Simpson on 23/07/2022 13:13:43:

Slap a load of paint on it, you'll never know!

Or a load of filler, my speciality………….i doubt one of my plugs would ever float lol.

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp

The backbone and the 3 frames that I have already been cut have been marked out ready for cutting the cross halving joints out to interlock the frames to the backbone.

The other frames, I'll mark out when I pick up some more ply on monday from Ulverston……..its a goodly haul free for collection.

img_2949.jpg

img_2950.jpg

ashley needham
                                      Participant
                                        @ashleyneedham69188

Cor. its a wonder you have not got the Adze out for that lot! a forests worth of prime timber and no mistake.

Just what the doctor ordered. (you will never cut it with that little knife though…)

Ashley

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

i have tried in the past, Ashley…………didn't get very far, lol.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

Well , this is the last bit of woodworking that I can do until I get my supply of ply wood, to be able to complete the frames, and then glue them all in, before putting a 4mm ply deck on to hold them all together before starting to fill in the frames.

Hopefully tomorrow a pack of HIPS plasticard will arrive and i can start making the hatches, companionways and other small items that need doing……..i won't be making moulds for these based on this being a one off build, at the moment……………however, things could change in the future so will keep my options open.

But looking at it coming alive………..it IS A BEAST, and only 10" shorter than the Clyde I moulded years ago.

img_2953.jpg

img_2954.jpg

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

OH!! The joys of using obeche for pattern making.

One of the few new fittings that I am going to have to make for the RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow is the electric main winch at the fore deck.

I have made the base and main gearbox, the upper gear box and shaft cover for the winding drums, all from a "scrap" piece of Obeche that was hanging around, and with a little filling of the grain with Dolphin Glaze and then cellilose sealer, it will be ready for casting in a rubber mould………

Next will be the electric motor that fits to the rear end of the maid gear box, and this I will turn the main detailing on my lathe, and then add the cooling fins using either thin slithers of obeche or plasticard.

And yes, should I HAVE decided at some stage to sell moulds for the boat, some fittings will go with it, plus a set of re-drawn greater definition plans, but all in good time.

However, cant see me doing it inside 18 months.

img_2957.jpg

img_2958.jpg

img_2959.jpg

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

The next part to make for the electric windlass was the electric motor that attaches to the rear end.

The rear cap to the motor was cut from one diameter broom handle.

And the motor itself was made from a larger diameter broom handle.

The support bracket under the motor was made from a small scrap of obeche.

All turning was done on my trusty Myford ML10 50 year old metal working laith, which I bought 27 years ago to develope the Ann Letitia Russell lifeboat kit. It has in its time with me turned many a model fitting. Another very good buy.

Next job to do is to make the cooling fins for the motor itself, and these are going to be made from a McDonalds wooden coffee stirer!

img_2960.jpg

img_2961.jpg

img_2962.jpg

img_2963.jpg

img_2964.jpg

img_2965.jpg

img_2966.jpg

img_2968.jpg

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

I cut the strips, 1.5mm x 1.0 x 20mm sanded them and then applied to the motor with odourless superglue……..worked a treet.

Also added two pieces of obeche to the top housing for the brass rod to run through that takes the two capstans for the ropes to run around…….these are white metal castings previously done for the 51' Barnett.

And that's it for tonight, and probably for a couple of days as going to Ulverston tomorrow to pick up quite a stack of ply to finish the frames/deck etc for RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow.

Couldn't turn it down as the cost of good mahogany faced ply, like all things has gone through the roof, and this lot is free om collection.

img_2969.jpg

img_2971.jpg

img_2972.jpg

img_2973.jpg

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

the two windlass drums and brass rod added to the upper gear box of the motor windlass [but only temporary, as all the wooden parts now have to be given numerous cotes of cellulose sanding sealer, and then rubbing down with wire wool to a smooth finish before moulding.

img_2974.jpg

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

Then, it was down to putting the hand windlass together from the plasticard pieces I made to cast the white metal one for my 51' Barnett, 10 years ago.

img_2975.jpg

img_2977.jpg

img_2980.jpg

img_2981.jpg

img_2982.jpg

img_2983.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 648 total)