North West Model Shipwrights Society

Advert

North West Model Shipwrights Society

Home Forums Club News North West Model Shipwrights Society

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Saturday, 20th April, 2024

Today has been the end of an era for me.    I joined the North West Model Shipwrights Society about 32 years ago, although I made my first visit there as a guest 42 years ago when I was still at sea.

As the years rolled by, interest in model shipbuilding went into a sharp decline, and was mainly confined to kits in the end.

At the Society meeting today, that was also the annual general meeting, the society was renamed North West Model Society, the term “shipwrights” being dropped.   There were only nine members present, two aircraft models and one tugboat model.   The meetings will continue, but will cover all types of model – not just ships.    We meet once a month in Grimsargh, Lancashire.   But I guess this is the beginning of the end.
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>—0—</p>
      “Life at best is but an enigma, and like children pursuing a “Will O’ The Wisp,”so do we all pursue the illusive beacon light of a brighter and happier to-morrow – always hoping, never attaining, though striving ever until, wearied of the vain pursuit, at last we fall by the wayside and are forgotten.”

Charles Clark Munn (1847 – 1917)

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

This announcement seems to have been a bit of a  “damp squib!”     I guess model shipbuilding is pretty low on the agenda of younger folk these days.    All “washed up” and about time we accepted it and did something else!   

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

All “washed up” and about time we accepted it and did something else!

I don’t wish to do something else and I don’t belong to a club so it doesn’t affect me.

The move to making model shows more inclusive of different subjects has been going for a while now and makes a lot of sense given that model making generally is in decline and has been for many years as the younger generations choose other ways to spend their time.

The recent Midhurst Show I reported on for the magazine has been going for for years as a showcase for boats, trains and other types of modelling and the variety of subjects keeps it viable. Like many model boaters I also enjoy seeing other types of modelmaking and craft work.

Colin

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

I will still continue with the society for the time being, but at the moment, not much going on.   On Saturday, nine members present.   Model aircraft diorama and a tug boat.    I haven’t taken any models for some time now, because as I have said on many occasions, they seldom raise as much as a casual glance.    I cannot build any more, although I would like to, because glue fumes now affect my breathing rather badly, and I have very little energy left due to other medical treatments.   I can’t see as well either, so now it is down to maritime drawing that I can do quite easily.     I am also looking towards steampunk modelling out of metal.

There is still a great demand for the models from collectors,    but I never really liked the constant pressure to produce more.    

I will not be joining any more societies and seldom went to model shows, because the subjects rarely appealed to me. 

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Things move on in all walks of life it’s just the way it is, I love model making in all forms and has been almost a way of life in my 68 years so far, It’s just what I do as enjoyment, I could have bought a Ferrari with the money I have spent on modelling in the last 60 years 🙂 but it has been money well spent  🙂

All the best

Ray

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray,

It has been the other way round with me – I haven’t spent much on it at all, as most of my simple tools I have had for years and materials are generally available very cheap on Ebay. 

I have built and sold over 280 models over the last 32 years, but writing about it has been the highest income, but since Conway Maritime quit the model shipbuilding field, that has become much reduced, although my e-books and downloads continue to sell, and I will soon be concentrating on them, but I have worn myself out with models,  and am quite relieved that it is all over.    I am now 80 years old – and feeling it very much –   

Bob

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Bob,

I’m one of the lucky folk who has nearly a full set of Model Shipwright’s with so much of your work featured , treasure indeed 🙂

Kind Regards

Ray

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray,

They were good years, editor John Bowen’s and my own interest in the field were identical and although we never met, we worked closely via the internet or on the telephone to work out the articles.   I think that Conway ended Model Shipwright when John died, still working, at the age of 99.

Bob

Tim Rowe
                    Participant
                      @timrowe83142

My youngest son Felix Rowe worked for Conway for a short period before going freelance.  He now works very closely with the TV series The Time Team.  As a result of his Conway time I am the proud owner of one of the Model Shipwright Editions.  Shame he didn’t stay on longer!!

Tim

Len Morris 2
                      Participant
                        @lenmorris2

Hi Bob,

I live within 20 minutes of Grimsargh.  It would help to know the date of their next meeting, the time, and the street address.  They might find they have some more boat minded people attending.

Len. 🙂 

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

Hi Len,

Hi Len,The meetings are in the Caton room, attached to the side of St Michael’s Parish Church Grimsargh Preston Road PR2 2SD

May meeting 18th – Doors open at 1000

June Meeting 15th             ditto

Plenty of free parking – disabled access.   Toilet facilities.   Tea and coffee making facilities

Wives of partners welcome, and accompanied children.

We have a group on Facebook if you are a member of Facebook.

Bob

PS – Link – if it works – https://www.facebook.com/NWMSUK

Len Morris 2
                          Participant
                            @lenmorris2

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that.  It’s on mi calendar and in mi satnav.  I’ll bring mi Puffer along to provide some light entertainment.

Len.   

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

Look forward to seeing you and the puffer.     Visitors are always free at first, but should you wish to join, our annual subscription has been reduced to £5.     

Bob 

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Is that postcode correct or should it be PR2 5SD?

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

You are quite correct – It should be PR2 5SD – sorry  –  my mistake.

Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)