61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

• This topic has 647 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by neil hp.
Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

glad to hear that Ray…….so many times on a long project i loose mine, and have to sit down and take stock, and give youirself time to think. Only natural when you give a project your all.

Its not a case of loosing your mojo…………..just needing a rest from giving it 100 per cent, and choosing another distraction from the worries of the world………and we all have those , lol.

And thankls for the complements………much apreciated. cheers.

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

The rigging has now been applied and attatched to the mast of the RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow.

Took a little less time than it did for the William and Kate Johnston, And now both boats seem to have come alive as another member said earlier.

The rope for for the guards running through the stanchions came this evening and so the stanchions are going on to both boats tomorrow, now that all on the deck and upperworks have been attached…………

so hopefully the stanchions will come away unscaithed and without damage.

img_6902.jpg

img_6903.jpg

img_6904.jpg

img_6905.jpg

img_6906.jpg

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

Stanchions have now been glued permenantly to the two boats, and the rope guards will be added tomorrow, to complete the next of the four jobs before "commisioning" of them both.

img_6909.jpg

img_6910.jpg

img_6911.jpg

img_6912.jpg

img_6913.jpg

img_6915.jpg

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

Setting up a jig to get all the loops in the grab ropes was the hardest part of making the two sets for the two boats.

A piece of 6mm ply drilled for the eyelets at a certain repeat distance with a pin drilled centrally between the eyelet holes for the drop depth and the rest was just a matter of working slowly through the lot to the correct number of drops I needed for each boat, 18 per side in this case!
            Tying the loops with a thin cotton thread at the pin end and setting in place with cyano held them all together, as I trimmed off the excess thread with nail clippers making them look neat and tidy.
            they can be applied to the two boats sometime tomorrow…….job 3 done at that stage.
            img_6856.jpg
            img_6857 (1).jpg
            img_6916.jpg
            img_6917.jpg
            img_6918.jpg
            neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

After realising last night, or to be more accurate early this morning i realised that in its permenantly erected possition, neither of these two boats would fit into the back of my car as the boat and mast was far to high, and so something had to be modified so that the mast could be dropped!!!

JOB DONE with regards to collapsing the mast.

I disconected the dummy turnbuckles from the deck eyebolts and simply replaced the "string" that was attaching the two together with the snap link [size 16] from a fishermans snap swivel, with swivel removed.

Then on to job 3 of 4, which was the running through the stanchions two holes, the guard rails, which in the case of these 4 boats as built was rope. I used 2,5mm crochet cotton stained in a nice mahogany brown.

Including the split sections with hooks for giving access to survivers in the water to release sections of the guard ropes [which were made from 1mm brass or copper tinned electrical wire that job took just over 4 hours in total for both boats.

An tomorrow the last of the 4 jobs will be completed, as the main part of that was done yesterday………the tying up of the grab rails for the side of the boats.

All I then have to do are a couple of small jobs fitting a few bits that I have yet to do, and on Sunday morning, RNLB William and Kate Johnston will be taken to New Brighton model boating lake to be handed over to her new owner.

I will look forward to that moment and hopefully a smile on his face, lol.

img_6924.jpg

img_6937.jpg

img_6926.jpg

img_6929.jpg

img_6932.jpg

img_6933.jpg

img_6935.jpg

img_6936.jpg

img_6938.jpg

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

All the time of making a jig to pre make the grab ropes for all 4 sides of the two boats so that they just had to be drilled and fixed in place was well worth the effort.

To place the masking tape, drill for the eyelets holding the grab lines and gluing one side, took just 15 minutes……a lot shorter that it would have taken had I done it whilst marking out, tying, gluing and then trimming had I done it ON the boats themselves. The rutine of doing on a jig saved much time.

I will now let the glue set, trim off the extra loops that were not used on my Princess Mary and use those spare loops on the seperate bow sections of the William and Kate Johnston.

img_6939.jpg

img_6940.jpg

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

all but for mounting the running and navigation lamps and her name and station putting on to the boat, the RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow station is now complete. Even the rudder linkage has neen added to the stern servo.

A sense of relief has passed over me. Tomorrow is the turn of the RNLB William and Kate Johnston.

img_6942.jpg

img_6943.jpg

img_6944.jpg

img_6945.jpg

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

And tonight the grab lines to the first side of the second boat were added this evening.

Second side will be done tomorrow morning when I get up.

The more observant of you will see that the grab lines go much closer to the bow on the older boat than the last of the four.

I don't know why, just that on both the plans and photos they do………….so who am I to argue, lol.

And then I will have to search for my BECC white lettering to name them before one goes off to New Brighton on Sunday to its' new owner..

20230713_224337.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 13/07/2023 23:33:23

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp
                      Today, I did a little remedial repair work on both boats, that I really should have done a while ago.
                      The white lining tape that I aplied some weeks ago didn't stick too well and had been peeling off the William and Kate Johnston, much more than on the Princess Mary. However I had the remedy, but just couldn't be bothered doing it until all other jobs had been done.
                      That time came today, as apart from putting the names and stations on the boats, [which I cannot do as I have lost my wad of BECC lettering somewhere] and the lights on Ian's boat, [as he wants to fit working lights to his boat], BOTH BOATS are now finished and ready for motorising.
                      As for the white lining, I found a 2 sided art fixing tape some years asgo, and have used it for multiple purposes, including sticking fittings to decks, as not only is it very strong and stickS, but water resistant!
                      So I took the white tape off, put the 2 sided sape in its place, took off the covering on the obverser side and then put the white tape back on over the two sided tape,and it has stuck twice as strong. plus its available even on eBay in different widths of tape.
                      img_6951.jpg
                      img_6952.jpg
                      img_6954.jpg
                      img_6956.jpg
                      img_6958.jpg
                      img_6960.jpg
                      img_6963.jpg
                      img_6964.jpg
                      ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Stunning work Neil, absolutely fantastic. Would like to see pictures of them to give a sense of scale, considering they are whoppers but don’t necessarily look that big in the pictures.

Ashley

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

The last but one picture with the dropped mast is going to its new owner in New Brighton tomorrow morning and once out of the car the mast will be erected and cabin on………….hopefully I'll get some photos of her with the new owner if the very blustery and windy rainy weather abates, and calmness prevails.

And last night I received an email from the editor of Model Boats telling me that a group has been formed to bring the actual lifeboat that this model is based upon home to her ancestral home New Brighton on the Wirrall, to be restored to her original condition and then used as a trip boat to continue to give people an insight as to how the RNLI has developed over the years.

I look forward to seeing that happen and to take a trip on her myself.

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

The William and Kate Johnston was delivered safely to its new owner this morning, at her ancestral home where the actual lifeboat spent her whole RNLI life as the station lifeboat at New Brighton on the Wirrall peninsula across the river Mersey from Liverpool.

I think the new owner Ian, whom I built it for was happy with her. Ian is in the cap!

img_6970.jpg

img_6972.jpg

img_6973.jpg

img_6974.jpg

img_6975.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Well Done Neil

The 2 boats you have created in little over a year is just remarkable, and you have one to keep and sail

Congratulations from down South

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/07/2023 15:08:47

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Echo that Neil, two superb boats created in record time. That's some achievement.

I bet the new owner is a happy man!

Colin

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

thank you Ray and Colin, I appreciate your and all the comments from members far and wide, they have kept me going, as at times, i just wanted to take a break and do something smaller, as they both took up the whole of my workshop with little space to move.

BUT your comments spurred me on and I'm glad you did. They turned out better than even i could imagine, and hope to get mine on the water after my surgery in 2 weeks and convalescence.

Something smaller next time………getting too old for big lumps lol.

But for now, a bit of a tidy up in the workshop so that I could put my boat somewhere to work on and get her mobile on the water!

Even able to use my laithe again that was buried under so much clutter.

img_6976.jpg

img_6977.jpg

img_6978.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 16/07/2023 19:32:05

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

Ian must be a very happy man, he has a beautiful boat there. Does he have a connection with the original or the station?

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp
                                      Posted by Richard Simpson on 16/07/2023 20:46:11:

Ian must be a very happy man, he has a beautiful boat there. Does he have a connection with the original or the station?

he's a collecter of model lifeboats Richard and lives on the Wirral, close to New Brighton, and shows at different gatherings to help raise money for the RNLI.

Also a member of the New Brighton model boat club.

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

Very impressive Neil. yes

I can well understand the plan for a rather more lightweight project next time. Next week?laugh

George

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp
                                          Posted by gecon on 18/07/2023 10:23:19:

Very impressive Neil. yes

I can well understand the plan for a rather more lightweight project next time. Next week?laugh

George

Thanks George…………….might be a little longer than next week……….am in hospital for surgary on my thyroid gland and its removal, so depends on what happens next is up to the almighty.

but asap hopefully.

Richard Simpson
                                          Participant
                                            @richardsimpson88330

I like the bit where he said "Tidy up the workshop" that's a year's project there!

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

winklaugh

James Hill 5
                                              Participant
                                                @jameshill5

Neil,

That is scratchbuilding of the highest level. It`s been really interesting following your progress over the last twelve months and the results must give you great satisfaction.

Hope your hospital visit goes well and look forward to your next project.

Echoing what Ray said, congratulations from down here in the South.

Jim.

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

Sorry to read that you're in the wars Neil. All the very best of luck with that ordeal.

I think your workshop looks just great…well…ish -like a workshop in fact. laughyes

George

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

thanks to youi all for the complements, and for following the long build…………but most of all for the well wishes………appreciate them all.

cheers. neil.

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

Well, I got my boats station named on the stern on the 93rd anniversary of the actual boat being named, 21st July 1930, but sadly a certain hobby supply company in Norfolk and or Royal Mail totally let me down in not sending my BECC 10mm lettering in time…………..in fact the package still hasn't arrived 14 days after I ordered it, and when I emailed them last week all they could say is it was posted 4 days after the order was placed and for ME to get in touch with Royal Fail…….with no tracking no., or proof of posting supplied by the company what on earth am I supposed to do.

ALWAYS had good, in fact excellent service from them many times in the past………..by they could just NOT be bothered this time, and it hurts as well as annoying, and because of their lese'fair and unhelpful attitude I will not ever order from them again.

However on the bright side, I ordered on Saturday just gone some croche'd rope fenders so I don't damage my paintwork on the beast and they arrived this morning…….brilliant service!!!………and are now fitted,. and they look great.

But as a consolation I also got the station name and the bow flags of the correct era on the boat, on the anniversary date.

And as I wait for some lettering to name her, I have started fitting out the inside of the boat with a tray for the batteries, and an upper shelf to fit the electronics on……well above the waterline so that I can use either my 40mhz or my 2.4ghz radio systems.

img_7035.jpg

img_7036.jpg

img_7037.jpg

img_7039.jpg

img_7040.jpg

img_7041.jpg

img_7042.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 648 total)