61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

• This topic has 647 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by neil hp.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

I am buzzing with excitement, and it doesn't take much to excite an old fart like me these days.

I have never ever seen a model of the class I am going to build next anywhere at a show,on a lake or in a show case.

The model I am going to build is of one of 4 built, and is of the 60/61' Barnett class lifeboat, and is to be built at 1;12 scale, giving a model of 61" LBP X 15" beam and 4" draught.

The plans up on the drawing board are for the 60' RNLB William and Kate Johnstone, but with slight mods I will extend the main keel and backbone by 1 inch to build the longest of the 4 boats built, the RNLB Princess Mary, which I think is the nicest looking of the 4 boats which were in build order:

William and Kate Johnston, 1923, New Brighton,

Emma Constance, 1926, Aberdeen,

Robert and Marcella Beck, 1926, Plymouth,

Princess Mary, 1929, Padstow.

s-l16012.jpg

prince11 (3).jpg

img_2779.jpg

img_2778.jpg

img_2780.jpg

img_2781.jpg

img_2782.jpg

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

a total scratch build of one of the RNLI’s largest lifeboats, of the 1920’s

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Looks like that will keep you buisy for a while Neilsmiley. Plank on frame hull too?

George

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Really interesting looking model Neil. I think these older boats had so much more character about them and make for a much more attractive model.

By the way how did Windermere go? Also how is you own model that sank, has she recovered to a point where it is useable?

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              Posted by gecon on 08/07/2022 05:41:22:

Looks like that will keep you buisy for a while Neilsmiley. Plank on frame hull too?

George

only for a plug for a fibre glass mould, George………..my years of building Billing boats in the late 60's and through to the early 80's taught me one thing………….a POF hull waas just a means to an end with plenty of P38 filler and plenty of sanding lol.

Thats the way to go.

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

yes, she wasn't damaged Richard, just wet……………even the radio gear dried out as it was fresh water…………..but she is sat on her stand for now, until i have time to drop the main sail and re motor her with more powerful motors……..the others were just not up to the job.

Sadly the windermere sail didn't go ahead and is resheduled for next summer……….after two beautiful calm days leading up to it saturday turned out with storm force winds up here with weather warnings for sailors on windermere.driving winds across the lake of up to 27 knots, horrizontal rain and thunder and lightning……..even the d class RNLI rib and the support steam launch said it was madness to proceed with 3-4foot waves and white caps, and didn't want to proceed……..and the lads cancelled it.

i didn't make it further than lancaster as my car lost power with engine warning lights lit up and the car went into limp mode…..and spent nearly 3 hours in lancaster waiting for recovery home.

it was a very sad day for all after such organisation and a wait of nearly 3 years……………

but ypu just can't fight the weather, sadly.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Your new project is going to be a cracker I will be interested to see your progress.

I stupidly bought a copy of Dave Metcalf's drawing for a Tyne Class !!!

One day I will have a go at building her from the plan, there are some many bits to make

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

I think that may well have been the same time Neil as I was trying to handle a canal barge on a very exposed stretch of the Leeds/Liverpool canal as it goes across a very wide open valley near Skipton. I ended up pinned against the bank by horizontal rain and completely unable to get the boat off. Meanwhile I got colder and wetter!

Maybe you could have the modifications to yours ready for next year?

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp
                      Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 08/07/2022 09:19:44:

Hi Neil,

Your new project is going to be a cracker I will be interested to see your progress.

I stupidly bought a copy of Dave Metcalf's drawing for a Tyne Class !!!

One day I will have a go at building her from the plan, there are some many bits to make

Regards Ray

send me your address ray and you can have my 12th scale set of plan that i had enlarged……….there is a 12th scale part built 12th scale Tyne on ebay at the moment at a decent price if it doesn' go any higher/…………..have a look………….saves a hell of a lot of work.

TYNE CLASS LIFE BOAT (INCOMPLETE) 1/12th SCALE-WITH RUNNING GEAR | eBay

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp
                        Posted by Richard Simpson on 08/07/2022 09:28:40:

I think that may well have been the same time Neil as I was trying to handle a canal barge on a very exposed stretch of the Leeds/Liverpool canal as it goes across a very wide open valley near Skipton. I ended up pinned against the bank by horizontal rain and completely unable to get the boat off. Meanwhile I got colder and wetter!

Maybe you could have the modifications to yours ready for next year?

sailed that numerous times on my narrowboat some years ago Richard, as it was a lovely run from Chorley where she was moored on farmers canal frontage to Skipton and back……….its a lovely canal, and Skipton and Bizzie Lizzy's fish and chips was well worth the trip.

and yes its windy on the "tops".

did you go through East Marton and the double bridge which holds up the A59…….the story behind that is fasinating, lol.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

That's a really interesting prototype Neil and one which seems to have been neglected by modellers.

It will be interesting to follow the build of what is quite a large model.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your kind offer of the drawing, I have PM'd you my address

My challenge will be to make the whole boat from scratch, just buying motors couplings & shafts and props, I may live regret it !!

Regards Ray

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp
                              Posted by Colin Bishop on 08/07/2022 18:57:05:

That's a really interesting prototype Neil and one which seems to have been neglected by modellers.

It will be interesting to follow the build of what is quite a large model.

Colin

i've never seen a model of her, even in my early years reading model boats. Brian King came close to it when he either built or restored the smaller 51' barnett that he wrote about in the magazine.

my only problem is, the switch or lock on the tailgate of my old workhorse has gone wrong and I can't get the rear open until next week when my mechanic is going to look at it…………as such i can't get any lengths of ply for the build in to the car lol…..

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

rather than sit around doing nothing, this afternoon have transfered the first two cross frames, numbers 5 and 6, the centre two widest frames on to art framing card.

Normally i would have just photocopied the frame drawings on to A3 paper, the number of frames needed and folded down the virtical centre line and then cut out the respective frame number, around that fold line.

However these frames are so wide and deep, that they wouldn't fit on to A3 paper.

And so i cut the two sets down the virtival centre line which in itself gives the posotion of the backbone keel frame, and cut down to the outer frames 5 and 6 first, repeating the second half of each frame by reversing the frme on to the other side of the virtical centre line of the card that i had pencilled on.

the first two frames are now ready to draw around on ply, when i buy it on tuesdy after having my car fixed.

but looking at the frames, she is going to be a big impressive beast indeed.

the process will be repeated by cutting down the next frame lines in to repeat the process once frames have been transfered to timber.

img_2786.jpg

img_2787.jpg

img_2788.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 10/07/2022 17:10:45

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Thats a whopper Neil. Just think of the team on chaps you will need to launch it!!

Just shows you that there are interesting boats still out there in plain sight, even in the lifeboat world.

Ashley

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp
                                    Posted by ashley needham on 11/07/2022 09:31:53:

Thats a whopper Neil. Just think of the team on chaps you will need to launch it!!

Just shows you that there are interesting boats still out there in plain sight, even in the lifeboat world.

Ashley

a back breaker matey…….it wont be sailed very often lol.

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp

been dong a wee bit of behind the scenes work today.

first of all i finally managed to purchase some planks of obeche timber from a company that had promised to dug them out from under another pile of timber in May………..that was May 2019, all it took was a telephone call to the manager and a 45 minute drive from my home in Poulton le Fylde.

and through all sorts of problems, including covid i was finally able to track down the sawmill's manager and explain to him just how many times i had asked for this timber.

it took the manager just 5 minutes to actually dig out the 3 planks that i wanted for just over 3 years…….and then said………i can't understand what the problem has been…..just 5 minutes work!!!

and the best bit was, i got it at 2018 prices………..absolute magic.

so tonight i started doctoring with Tipp-ex all the un-needed lines on the small plans from a book so that i can get the GA's for the Princess Mary, as oposed to the William and Kate Johnston that the main set of lines are already for the build!

The "MARY" was 1 foot longer but same beam as the "Johnston" purely because the "Mary" had a more pronounsed stem post and as such lengthened the boat by that one foot….
                                      the plans can now be photo enlarged at Granthams printers, Blackpool digitally next week.pictures are of the plans, and my 3 planks of obeche, 10" x 1" x 16 foot with the green end grain colouring'

The work will start later next week.

img_2835.jpg

img_2839.jpg

img_2840.jpg

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

Very interesting project Neil. You may need to design a launching cradle on a block and tackle for it!

I note that the Barnett class was introduced around the time the Colin Archer's were phased out as rescue vessels in Norway.

The last Colin Archers built also had a bit added to the stem by straightening the bowline. Must have been a general design trend at the time -to help the bow cut through the waves better ? Or to push the sea aside?

George

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp
                                          Posted by gecon on 15/07/2022 08:41:11:

Very interesting project Neil. You may need to design a launching cradle on a block and tackle for it!

I note that the Barnett class was introduced around the time the Colin Archer's were phased out as rescue vessels in Norway.

The last Colin Archers built also had a bit added to the stem by straightening the bowline. Must have been a general design trend at the time -to help the bow cut through the waves better ? Or to push the sea aside?

George

that is interesting George…….at the time around the early 1920's the RNLI were not only selling licenses for the Germans and dutch and Australian lifeboat services to build from the RNLI plans drawn for them, but they were also building at sime stage full boats to the purchasers requirements.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

the plans have now been enlarged again, and as such are now 6 times the size that they were in the book that i originally took them from.

some more cleaning up with tippex and lining with a drawing pen of the main deck details and it will be then ready for the final enlargement by 275% of the new photocopy.

img_2841.jpg

img_2842.jpg

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

now cleaned up the enlargment with tipp-ex and calculated that I now need to enlarge this set by 275% to give it a hull measurement between perpendiculars of the 61" required.

It actually comes out from that enlargement at 61.05", which i can deal with lol.

It is now a lot clearer of the deck lyout, the size and shape of the cabin and engine casement and all of the deck lights, hatches, fuel filler and bilge pump deck caps, with just a few slall details such as the bow anchor windlass and another small fitting on the engine room casing next to the front of the raised cabin cockpit that i am not sure of, but most of the fittings and such are items i have in stock from my other lifeboats that i have built……..

Quite happy about that…….

roll on geting my obeche on thursday of next week.

img_2843.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for the Tyne Class drawings, Wow what a project !!, I must have a few beers to get over how large it would be to build

You must have already had the beers for your current build

Kind Regards Ray

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp
                                                  Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 15/07/2022 16:41:51:

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for the Tyne Class drawings, Wow what a project !!, I must have a few beers to get over how large it would be to build

You must have already had the beers for your current build

Kind Regards Ray

just bought some in Ray……………..cant wait to pck up my obeche on thursday and get stuck in………the plug soon takes shape once i start……..will just have to sharpen my spoke shaves lol.

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

This morning before I go to Fleetwoods RNLI Lifeboat open day in a few minutes I put the cleaned up plans next to those of the first built Barnett 51' boat, and could quite easily see where the extra foot in the hull came from. The rake on the bow is much greater on the Princess Mary.

In all, I find looking at the two boats together, the RNLB William and RNLB Kate Johnston was, although advanced for its age when built in 1923, she was by 1929, six years later a very primative looking boat compared with the Princess Mary of Padstow.

And to be honest, the overall looks of the latter boat are so much more pleasing and less cluttered than the elder, and I am so pleased that I have taken the extra preperation time to be enabled to find the plans for the Padstows' boat RNLB Princess Mary!

I think i'll enjoy both building, showing and sailing this beast.

img_2846.jpg

img_2847.jpg

img_2848.jpg

img_2849.jpg

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

When I built the 51' Stromness type Barnett RNLB Mary Stanford 11 years ago, I didn't realise that so many of its fittings were a copy of those fitted to the earlier 61' Barnett.

And so I looked through my collection of fittings from 10 years ago to find quite a number that are synonimous with both boats, which will save a great deal of time developing new ones.

Two I dug out and decided to put together first were the mast tabernacle, and the bow manual rope cutter to sever either an anchor rope or a tow rope that was fastened to the main bow bollard.

Here are the bits, cast in resin, years ago.

I'm not sure but I have only ever seen the rope cutter fitted on to the two Barnetts mentioned.

img_2852.jpg

img_2853.jpg

img_2854.jpg

img_2855.jpg

img_2856.jpg

img_2857.jpg

img_2858.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 648 total)