61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

Cracking on with fittings I hadn't got from my earlier Barnett build I came across a small deck light surround and plate, and remembered putting one into a mould for I needed about 8 of them for that boat.

Matching the one remaining plasticard fitting I put it against the enlarged deck light shown on the plans of PM…………..but sadly it was about half the size of those on RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow.

As such I made four new ones from plasticard 1.5mm [base] and 1.0 mm for the top frame. base and frame were glued together using EMA plastic weld.

img_2985.jpg

img_2984.jpg

img_2986.jpg

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

Everything seems to be bigger on this boat than on other classics that I have built in the past, other than the bigger Clyde that I built years ago, but am enjoying it very much.

Last night I started cutting out and gluing the base and sides, and backs for the two different sized companionways, housing hatches to the insides of the boat, the fore and rear survivors cabins, but because of their sizes I chose to use 2mm thick plasticard, for all pieces.

So last night I glued the bases, sides and half of the backs up to the start of the bends in the two companionways using EMA Plasticweld, and although it will bond within seconds to glue parts that no stress is put on to the joints, when under stress as the backs would be when I start to bend the thick sheet, the joints need to be left to fully bond the pieces together and harden up to full strength. As such I left what had been glued, over night.

This morning I lit a candle, and with gentle heat to the plastic to be bent, I anealed the plastic to soften it in order to bend to shape.And then i glued it together and tape it up to maintain the bend and joints and left all to bond and set.

I am giving my 3 monthly pinta of O Neg this afternoon at the same hall that Dave Stavros Jones feels so much at home every October, the exibition hall of the Norbreck Castle, at 14.00 hours so will leave the companonways to set until I have had my 3 monthly ration of Bourbon creams and week orange squash. lol, before I carry out some cleaning up and trimming off.

img_3000.jpg

img_2991.jpg

img_2992.jpg

img_2995.jpg

img_2997.jpg

img_2998.jpg

img_2999.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 26/07/2022 11:49:05

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

the two different companionways have now been cleaned up, sanded smooth and had their corners rounded off.

the insides will be p[ainted white as can be seen slightly in a photo, which for some reason i have mislaid at the moment, and the outer skins will be clad in wood grain dolls house printed paper, and varnished, before detailing the outsides.

img_3001.jpg

img_3002.jpg

img_3004.jpg

img_3003.jpg

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

This evening I have made the main parts, the actual bodies of the hatches!

Three layers of plasticard went in to making each hatch, of which two will be moulded twice, the inner round hatches inside the cabin, and the hatches on the engine casing both need two of.

The hinges and spring cosures for the bodies will be attached and moulded in to the item, and all will be made into silicon rubber moulds and then cast in resin, 8 hatches per boat.

img_3006.jpg

img_3007.jpg

img_3008.jpg

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

back to the hull plug and fraiming , getting ready for taking grp moulds.

Made full advantage of my free bee ply today.

Marked out the remaining frames that needed cutting.

One tiny problem which will be overcome very easily, is that the thickest ply is only 6 mm compaired with the 9mm I had for the first 3 frames, but I cut all of the slots in the main frame to the 9mm width.

And so the 6mm frames will have to be modified, by putting a backing piece down the centre of the new frames, as seen in the last 2 photos.

img_3012.jpg

img_3013.jpg

img_3014.jpg

img_3015.jpg

img_3016.jpg

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

Having been model boat building since I was 8 years of age I have amassed a great number of tools, both hand and power tools over those 63 years. And to be honest I don't think there is a tool at 71 and in my later years that I really need anymore.

It was as I was setting up my boat and frames that realised that one of the tools I was about to use, and I don't mean those that scrape, cut, smooth or shape, was one of my oldest, none cutting tools. My "Workmate Professional".

It was bought my as a wedding present in 1988, and is still givng great service, even though the lady has long gone to a prefered gentleman………dont really blame her, lol

HOWEVER, at 34 years old I have used it regularly over half of my modelling life………….now that is good going!

So today I finished cutting the remaining frames out after measuring and marking this morning. I mounted a strip of hardwood under the keel to keep it at the right height to mount the frames,when clamped in to the workmate, and also to keep the "backbone" absolutely straight and true!

Slots cut, I slid the frames in to those cut in the backbone, and found just two frames are not quite right for the bottom of the frame to meet the bottom line of the keel. these two ftames will be slightly adjusted before ALL frames are glued and wedged in to the main frame.

That I will do tonight and let the epoxy glue set over night.

img_3017.jpg

img_3025.jpg

img_3020.jpg

img_3018.jpg

Tim Cooper
                Participant
                  @timcooper90034

Neil

I have a similar Workmate, mine is not quite as old. I think it's about 30 years old now. It has had some new feet and orange clamps on the top and a couple of springs. Still using it regularly, for woodworking ,even used to stand on when decorating and prune in the garden. Seemed expensive at the time but worth the money.

Then again I have some tools that my dad passed on but I think they were my granddads originally and I am well passed 65.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 28/07/2022 17:47:57

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Yes, I've got one as well. Been used a lot over the years (I think it was one of my first "tools" as well) but has had an easier life than some!

They are a heavy old piece of kit though and I did buy one of the lighter and simpler ones as I needed two for planing doors down etc. which gets more use nowadays.

Chris

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

really are excellent pieces of kit………..the newer ones are not in the same quality though sad to say…..3 guages of steel thinner……..i know from bad experience and a broken arm and wrist.

when they originally came out they advertisd it with a mini car sat on four of them and the caption was tough as old boots…..sadly, the newer ones wouldn't pass muster.

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

fully enlarging a plan to a much larger size from an original small scale plan, always has its downfalls, especially in width.

one can use the highest of accurate digital scanning enlargers to get a correct length, but the width or beam of a subject will always have slight differences.

As such, i always check the beam of both the line drawings for the stations after enlarging, and the plans for the general arangements.

If the lines for the stations and cross members are correct acording to the dims of the boat, i will transfer those measurements from the frames to the GA Plans at the right positions.

This i did last night and transposed those measurements to the GA's.

As you can see, the black lines as shown by the tips of the pencil and pen are slightly out in that the beam on the enlarged GA is slightly out at most by about 6mm at bow to zero midships and 4 mm at the stern…….

So this is very tolerable to most model builders and having re drawn the shape of the hull top to the black pen line, i can now mark out the deck on 3mm ply using carbon paper.

Once this has been drawn and cut out and checked against the frames, i can then glue in place the frames, making sure that the tops are at right angles to the centre back bone and keel. Methodology, time and patience are the key words to getting a straight set of frames for a plug for grp work.

img_3026.jpg

img_3027.jpg

img_3028.jpg

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

BEEN a busy bee today, but with time consuming "small" single items.

First was to mark out onto the plans the line of the actual deck and not the enlarged lines. Swapped for a fine blade for the jigsaw and then cut it out. Job done.

Then I cut some wedges out of a piece of solid nylon board, ready for fitting the frames, using them to trim the frames to make them fit true and square. I fitted the first five frames from the stern, gluing them in with aliphatic resin.

Next, drove my daughter down to Fleetwood to the post office as we both had to post items, and on top Kwikfit to pick up her car with newly fitted tyres for her and her mates holiday in Cornwall, starting tomorrow.

By this time I was almost worn out, and so went back into the workshop to cut, slice and trim the boarding to suround the different sized gratings for the inside of the cabin floor. To glue them together I first laid some parcel tape, sticky side down lol, onto a piece of scrap ply and using 5 minute epoxy glued all 8 frames together. onece stuck an easy jobe of peeling them off the parcel tape.

Later, once the epoxy has set on the rectangular frames I wll put into them a smaller frame to lay the grating on.

Hopefully I'll also get a few more frames glued in to the boat.

img_3030.jpg

img_3033.jpg

img_3034.jpg

img_3035.jpg

img_3036.jpg

img_3037.jpg

img_3038.jpg

img_3039.jpg

img_3040.jpg

img_3041.jpg

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

You'd think that after using 2 part epoxy such as Zap and otherts, for the past 30 odd years, I'd be able to mix two equal parts and glue my frames together……BUT NO!!!

Five of the frames stuck, and on the next mix, when handling them this morning fIVE OF THE FRAMES fell apart, much to my great anoyance….just wasted time.

So having cleaned all the old glue off and reglued the frames with cyano I sanded all that stuck and glued onto bases of 1.32 thick birch faced ply with aliphatic resin……….which are now all under weights and will be left for a couple or so hours to set. and the two remaining still have to be sanded as they were late arrivals in the "do it again" pile…….c'este la vie.

img_3042.jpg

img_3045.jpg

img_3047.jpg

img_3048.jpg

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

All frames now glued and levelled to give a straight deck, showing a lovely sheer to the hull.

Oncec glued and set in a few hours I'll start fitting the deck to the frames, to keep the backbone absolutely straight and not curved or twisted.

I hate a "banana" hull………..which would always come out in a grp mould.

By the way, the curve in th keel as shown going one way and then the other in those shots above, is attributed to the point and shoot camera lense of the small pocket camera i use, which distorts pictures very well.

I can assure you, the keel is perfctly straight.

And looking down the length of the frames in the 3rd pic, she is going to have a beautiful looking hull.

img_3050.jpg

img_3051.jpg

img_3052.jpg

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

All raised cabin gratings now been stabalised and and sanded smooth on my belt sander.

They look well on the deck in the approximate position they will eventually sit in.

Which brings me to the next part………….and that is the gluing and fitting of the deck. But there in lies a small cockup, and a reference to my school days.

I was ABSOLUTELY USELESS at science in any form and although my problem stems from my fear of the subject it really wasn't a problem with the boat other than blanking out certain points, but I ,as an escape, blame it on science.

The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, and why a boat/ships length is measured between perpendiculars, and as such I measured the length of the deck I cut, between those two points.

I DIDN'T take into account the sheer of the deck, which ultimately alters the length of the deck.

So! I am going to have to cut the deck into two pieces.

It will eventually make it easier to fix in place the 2 halves and line them up, and I will be able to infill the small gap in the centre of the boat………….but it could also weeken the structure unless I reinforce it properly………we shall see, eventually.

img_3053.jpg

img_3055.jpg

img_3056.jpg

gecon
                                Participant
                                  @gecon

This really is a huge piece 'maritime woodwork' Neil. It's going to look magnificent! -and huge laugh

George

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp
                                    Posted by gecon on 30/07/2022 17:28:25:

This really is a huge piece 'maritime woodwork' Neil. It's going to look magnificent! -and huge laugh

George

i hope so George………..and once the hull is made for the plug, and moulded, all the hard work will be done, as almost everything else, fittings wise is done. the cabin itself will be a plug and moulds from solid obeche, unless the plug from the 51' Barnett that i still have can be modified to take a mould.

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp

I once asked Mike Pendlebury a friend and fellow modeller about fittings on his scratch built lifeboats and where he got the ideas from, before the invention of the 3d printer was made available at cheap enough price for modellers to buy one.

Mike answered as expected……"Think laterally, and not as a modeller" and it is one of the best advices that anyone can give to those who want to scratch build……….not just lifeboats but any model.

Long before I actually started the build of my RNLB Princess Mary of Padstow, I was looking at the plans and thinking of parts I would need for detailing that I had never used before.

One of these parts was/is the survivers jump net. A large 12' x 12' net, suspended from four davits, enabling the lifeboat to come along side a casualty allowing the ships surviving crew to jump from the sinking vessel into the net.

NOW!!!, where could I get a square patterned [not octagonal] mesh net from.
                                      It literally took me 5 minutes searching on eBay to find exactly what I wanted and needed! A "sock" bag…….a bag your ladies put their tights and ankle socks in to, draw up the string and put into the washing machine……no more missing socks…….even fellas' can use them.
                                      And for the grand price of 0.99p, postage free. its even made of cotton and so will dye a deaper brown too. Success!!! sadly though, they have gone up to £5.23p………i blame covid!

All I needed to do was to unpick the cotton stitching to open it out to the size needed, and will superglue along the perimeter edges to stop it from freying

img_3060.jpg

img_3057.jpg

img_3058.jpg

img_3059.jpg

neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp

i will endeavour to do that, Alberto .

and here's the latest tip.

Take an A4 size piece of plastic cross stich backing [ well, pay for it tbh…best thing to do, lol]………put supports into the frames you have made, and then cut to fit…..

Voila…….but for painting the grating brown, and laquering and varnishing the frames, the inner cabin raised gratings made.

img_3063.jpg

img_3062.jpg

img_3061.jpg

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

Iast night I made the coxs'ns pedatal and grating plus the platform for the compas stand.

The frame for the grating was made from mahogany, and the rest from 1/16th ply in two payers to stop any warping..grain of the two layers going at right angles to each other.

img_3064.jpg

img_3065.jpg

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

Obviously, because the deck sheets were cut on the flat, and the deck actually follows the sheer of the boat, the deck was too short, and so had to be modified.

First, supports were glued to the cross frames to support the front section of deck, fore and aft, and then left overnight.

this morning i put glue on to all tops of the frames and supports, using aliphatic quick grab wood glue, and then, starting at the rear end of the front section, mating up to the fore part of the aft deck, where the deck is at its widest.

Using framing pins, and starting at the rear, i pinned the deck to the frames, finally using G cramps to hold the final part of the foreward part of the deck to the frames and supports.

This will be left for most of the day to thoroughly set and dry.

There is then a small strip about 25mm wide to fit at the bow section and put an upstand piece of ply to finalise the rased section of the fore peak.

Once that has all set by tomorrow, i shall be able to start filling in between the frames, using strips of obeche i bought a couple of weeks ago. Thats when the fun begins.

img_3066.jpg

img_3067.jpg

img_3070.jpg

img_3071.jpg

img_3072.jpg

img_3073.jpg

img_3074.jpg

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

Like building a wall, one layer at a time, starting with one brick at a time.

Note, that the bricks are laid to be flush with the frames, not the deck line.

This is to keep the lines of the hull true and equal both sides.

This will be a very slow process now, so will only post when there is real progress in blocking up the hull.

img_3075.jpg

img_3076.jpg

img_3077.jpg

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

It's like playing Lego with big wooden blocks.

Started last night with the first 5 blocks fitted between frames each side from the mid section, and then the last 3 blocks going aft to the Stern post this afternoon.

Then, this evening i started working forward until i got to the last frame, before cutting to shape, the bow blocks that will be laid vertically to the keelson at the bow.

And those blocks will be added tomorrow before i tirh the plug upside down and starting to build the sides up layer by layer until i reach the keel level.

All sounds simple, and it is to be honest, as i did a plug this way once before, a shelter deck trawler about half the length of the RNLB Princess Mary……………but the principle is exactly the same.

Wish me luck, lol.

img_3077.jpg

img_3078.jpg

img_3079.jpg

img_3080.jpg

img_3082.jpg

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

The plug was almost ready to turn over now and building from the deck "downwards" to the keel.

However, determined to get the plug completely straight, I glued and screwed two straight pieces of 25 x 19mm pine onto the centre line of the deck, and then left it set.

After 4 hours, I have now turned the boat on to its deck, and clamped it in place into the trusty old workmate!

It is now ready to build and finish blocking up the plug.

img_3082.jpg

img_3084.jpg

img_3085.jpg

img_3086.jpg

img_3088.jpg

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

And so I started, by cutting slices about 1/2 inch thick by the width of of the plank, and cut the first three blocks to clad 4 frames, two midships [one either side] and two frames towards the stern.

It was then that I saw that one of the frames didn't look right, and hadn't been drawn right on the original drawings…..frame 8………the tunnel for the propellor shaft and prop was all wrong.

I checked on my Liverpool class boat, my unbuilt Ann Letitia Russell lifeboat and pictures of the builds of my other Barnett and two 46' Watsons, and there was no way that the tunnel markings on frame 8 were correct……..there was far too little depth to the marked tunel to give a nice sweep to the length of the tunnel, and as such I got on my knees to mark it out to what I feel is a uniform "sweep" from frame seven to frame 9.5.

It's just how I am going to cut out the extra "chunk" of wood to make the overall tunnel correct.

I'll think about that problem tomorrow, but for now I'll just let the blocks on the 4 partially filled frames set and cure overnight.

img_3089.jpg

img_3090.jpg

img_3091.jpg

img_3094.jpg

img_3095.jpg

img_3092.jpg

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

RIGHT!!!…..I'm not hearly as fit as I used to be as the last time I made a plug for a lifeboat and in a similar way my back didn't ache even half as much, but have had to give up for the day.!

I have now put 4 layers of blocks between frames 1 and 8 with the foundation blocks on the other frames……74 blocks individually measured and sawn to fit, plus bending over to fit them.

Tthank the lord for my band saw.

Who says model boat building is pleasurable……its bloody painful at times, lol………….but we'd do it whether or not.

I'll leave all those blocks to set now over night before starting on The blocks for the last five frames tomorrow.

As a side, I was asked today by a good friend why I am using wooden blocks to form my hull plug. It's very simple I said. Billing boats in the early 1960's when I built my first POF boat, the Danebrog taught me all I didn't want to know about plank on frame model construction, and sadly have been absolute carp at it ever sinse.

Plus it takes a ton of filler to get rid of my unlevel POF hulls whereas making a plug from obeche blocks can be formed in half the time I would take planking, and for me will give a far better hull……

Each to their own happiness I suppose.

img_3110.jpg

img_3111.jpg

img_3112.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 648 total)