Yes another Clyde Puffer

Advert

Yes another Clyde Puffer

Home Forums Build Blogs Yes another Clyde Puffer

• This topic has 124 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 1 day ago by James Hill 5.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Fred Ellis 1
    Participant
      @fredellis1

Hi One & All

In 1997 I purchased the plans & a vac formed hull from Sarik (MM1410).

Due to the bad weather we have been having on the south coast of late, I decided that now just may be the time to start to build this puffer, also it is just the right size so that I can work on it on the kitchen table, and not in the cold garage.

Two week ago I joined the two hull halfs, fitted the shaft and motor along with the deck, now looking at it I think I should make some form of support for the shaft, will come back to that later, in the meantime I started to plank the rear deck with 2 X .05mm stripe, as for the clinkering I used .05mm thread.S7300474S7300475S7300476S7300477S7300478S7300497

Advert
      mmcp42
      Participant
        @mmcp42

oooh another Puffer to follow

looking good!

Len Morris 2
        Participant
          @lenmorris2

I really don’t understand this Puffer Pandemic. 🙂  Do post in ‘scratch build’ also, to make it easier for the unofficial Puffer club to follow.  Well done.  Looks good so far.

Len

Fred Ellis 1
          Participant
            @fredellis1

It was seeing the others that got me to start this one , I still have a 1/24 scale one that I got from Models by Design just before he closed.

Fred

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Its a bit like gravy on your chips, there’s no such thing as too much!!

James Hill 5
              Participant
                @jameshill5

Going to be good watching your progress as well Fred.

Looking good so far.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Nothing like a Puffer in it’s natural enviroment. Vital Spark from the TV series moored in Inverary in 2017

Colin

IMG_6151 Inverary

Fred Ellis 1
                  Participant
                    @fredellis1

Hi One & All

Just a quick update, the rear deck is now planked and I have started on the foredeck.S7300499S7300498

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

During the changeover, Banjoman (Mattias) comprehensive topic on his Eilean Mor Puffer went missing. It is now visible again.

Eilean Mor

Colin

Len Morris 2
                      Participant
                        @lenmorris2

Hi Colin,

Good to see any Puffer pictures but I doubt the boat in Inverary was the original Vital Spark unless she’s been modified over the years.  Vital Spark had the classic Puffer feature that makes them so endearing.  The funnel in front of the bridge cabin.

The Banjoman Mattias topic on his Eileen More was excellent.  Unless you’d posted the link I’d never have found it.  A lot of detail.  Well done.

Len

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

The puffer at Inveraray is registered as Vital Spark (name is on stern)

History:

1944 Built as VIC 72 by Brown’s Shipyard, Hull
                          1968 Sold out of naval service at Devonport Dockyard where she had been a stores carrier
                          1969 Motorised and renamed ELSEDA, based at Troon as cargo vessel
                          1972 Bought by owner based on Isle of Mull. Worked around islands dredging coal from sunken vessels
                          1984 Sold to new owner and renamed EILEAN EASDEAL to run inter-island cargo service around Western Isles
                          1994 Service withdrawn when Scottish Office withdrew subsidy for Scottish Shipping
                          2001 Bought to Inveraray Maritime Museum for public display
                          2006 Re-registered as VITAL SPARK, name of ficitional puffer in Para Handy books by Neil Munro

She may have appeared in one of th TV scenes but there have been other Vital Sparks in the several TV series. Quite a bit of info online,

Colin

Vital Spark

Len Morris 2
                          Participant
                            @lenmorris2

Sorry Collin, wasn’t having a poke.  Didn’t know there were that many Vital Sparks out there.

Len

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Neither did I Len! I just saw this one and assumed it was the one on TV but things seem to be a bit more complicated.

Still, when all’s said and done, a puffer is a Puffer… Riveting stuff really.

Colin

Fred Ellis 1
                              Participant
                                @fredellis1

Hi One & All

I decided to take a break from this build, (I became a Granddad again), so to get me back into the swing again I decided to make the forward companionway and the rudder.

I am thinking that I now need a new camera S7300552S7300551

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Great shot Fred, the background is in excellent focus!

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

May be that you are too close for the camera to focus Fred?

James Hill 5
                                    Participant
                                      @jameshill5

Youre doing well Fred, youre a lot farther along the build than I am. I`ve reached the point of rudder installation, making the swivel points. Yours look impressive.

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Jim.

Fred Ellis 1
                                      Participant
                                        @fredellis1

Hi Chris

I think you are right with regards to these photos, but I had the same problem when I went to Harry Potter world.

Hi James

Thank you for your comment, the rudder post is just some 3mm O/D tube and some split pins,

Fred

Len Morris 2
                                        Participant
                                          @lenmorris2

Looking good Fred.  What size is your hull?  I’ve still to do my rudder so I’m watching your build and Jim’s build with great interest.  The one thing I want to do on mine is to make the post and rudder removeable so I don’t have to dismantle half the innards to get the prop and shaft out.  No idea yet how I’m going to do it!

Len

Fred Ellis 1
                                          Participant
                                            @fredellis1

Hi Len

Well I have just looked it up on the Sarik site and this is how they have described the model.

An easily constructed two function Clyde Puffer at 1:48 scale, model length 17in by 4.5in beam. Plans include body lines, side elevation and plan view. For single screw electric propulsion.

Could you not make the rudder and rudder post one piece so that you can remove it all as one?

Fred

James Hill 5
                                            Participant
                                              @jameshill5

Ive just had a look at pictuers of Auld Reekies stern and rudder and Im not sure how they would dis-assemble that section to be honest. There seems to be access to the retaining nut, but as for prop removal, i`m not sure. Some of the ex sailors on the forum might know.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

If it was electrically powered then you could simply place the motor on one side with a belt drive and slide the shaft out inside the model with the prop unscrewing and removed from the side.

Not so easy with a steam plant!

Len Morris 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @lenmorris2

Hi Fred, our Puffers are just about the same size!  Same scale at 1:48 or 1/4 inch to a foot as my old plans specify.  It’ll be interesting to compare your weights, displacement etc when your ready.

The rudder and post needs thinking out but it’s not a problem.  I’ll probably just attach it to the hull with countersunk M2 stainless cap screws. They are almost invisible when fitted.  Mi submarines are full of them and they are readily available from ‘Model Fixings.co.uk’.  As you say, one piece might be the way to go.

Len

bodach
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bodach

Nice things these old puffers and last week I received plans from Sarik for the Raylight but it’s a slightly later diesel powered puffer.

James Hill 5
                                                    Participant
                                                      @jameshill5

And another Puffer joins the list.

Is this an iminant build or to go on the waiting list? Be good to watch your build as well.

Welcome to the unofficial Puffer club, as Len calls it.

Jim.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)