Todays Boating

Advert

Todays Boating

Home Forums All things floating Todays Boating

• This topic has 4,988 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 2 days, 1 hour ago by ashley needham.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 4,989 total)
  • Author
    ashley needham
    Participant
      @ashleyneedham69188
      Fellow boaters one and all.

Today`s (sunday morning) boating was good, if a bit nippy and Berengar and I were on our own for an hour or so.

I took HMS Nelson, but only after I had glued back on
      the rear main director I knocked off while fitting the batteries (2x
      4.5Ahr gel cells, for weight as much as anything). Then I knocked off the FRONT director whilst putting the top back on in the
      park and having everything else but glue, sailed without it. The red patch in the space where it should have been was a recognition patch, painted on for only a few months in 19xx or 19xx, if anyone were to have asked…..

Apart from that it went very well the batteries last about an hour before slowing noticeably, the deck was nicely covered with
      water, from a “high sea” as much as wash from a yoof with a speedboat.
      After a while the turrets lock into place as the water swells the dowel
      pivots, despite being sealed/varnished?? As I type its drying out on the hedgehog house in the garden. Water doesn`t get in via the top but the propshafts admit a small amount of water so it needs drying.

Berengar had the MFA Seahawk, which is big enough to ignore any
      sort of weather on a mere pond. This goes o.k as well, despite the 12v
      7Ahr gel cell. The out-drive prop confers remarkable reverse
      power and steering control, unless you happen to be a small boy, of
      course.
      I must take it down to the sea this year and see what it will do with really big waves.

Spare just-in-case boats in the boot were this years secret project and HMS Jersey, OPV. Another boat that shrugs off weather with ease.

Ashley.
      I just though I would share that with you all….did anyone else go out today or yesterday??

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188
        Kimosubby Shipyards
        Participant
          @kimosubbyshipyards
          Hi Ashley,

yup, us hardy Manx boaters were out in force, about a dozen of us with a variety of tugs, trawlers and fast police boats.
          Bit cold though, car thermo stated 5’C and brisk little lazy E wind too.

We sail every Sunday morning weather being not too wet. Next week is the second floating for my “Bounty” conversion. I was given one of those buy a bit a month kits, when the chap had had enough and stopped the bankers draft he suddenly realised that he not only had a Bounty, but a full Cutty Sark too! and all for the low sum of £850!

I’ve double planked, and sealed her. Small motor and mTroniks gear, sailed well first time out on ballast trials (1.2Kg of AA batteries). Now have full ballast load to try again but in lead ingots. Its much more fun doing the trials in front of others – shares the laughs around when it turns bottom up and drifts down into the weed and mud.

So, did you go out today?

Kimosubby
          Mike Race
          Participant
            @mikerace67320
            Last round of Yate and Sodbury Winter Series Scale Steering, Lovely day very light breeze and had a good time with a good turn out. Also used it to give a first run of my Winter Builds. Elco MTB 268 ran lovely and got up onto the plane – just. Always knew it would need a 9,6 volt really but as I dont have a 9.6 battery pack just 6v and 7.2 packs I ran her on 7.2 until I get a 9.6 pack but she still did well. No doubt the 9.6 will give her a real turn of speed so happy all round with her. Not so good with the Model SLipway mini Drifter. When I built their RTTL the tube supplied slipped and I had to change to a small proper coupling. Had the same problem today and I should have known and not used the tube but I did. Hence a slipping prop shaft on coupling. Will have to make some adjustment by using brass wire tighened agaisnt he tube to give grip and stop slippage but that can wait til April.

As for the round well marker buoys have a mind of their own dont they?
            ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188
              Kimo…sure did… as per post !!! Always good to have other bods about for initial trials, always good to have another opinion about whats going wrong !! I do like to trial my oddities alone though as they never behave as expected and a bit of fiddling is always required and this gets a bit boring for the watchers and possible embarrassing for me. The Sunderland took three goes before running properly and its always nice to debut with an up and working model, ?

Mike. I have never held with rubber/plastic tube couplings myself…had one once and had to change it after a very short time. Glynn Guest makes his own and seems happy with them…so i suppose its one of those things that we might agree to disagree on, a bit like greasing propeller tubes !!!!

Thanks for the replies. Ashley
              Kimosubby Shipyards
              Participant
                @kimosubbyshipyards
                Now thats a very strong point of view Larry!!!!!

or is your post blank because the finger slipped? 

Kimosubby

Edited By Kimosubby Shipyards on 07/03/2011 09:55:04

LARRY WHETTON
                Participant
                  @larrywhetton68737
                  SORRY, what i meant to say I took BOBBY out for the first time,
                  went well for 60 sec till it came to a stop on the return leg .
                  PROBLEM ..shed prop not tightened ,
                  motto check and check again, before you sail , and carry spares.
                  so that was my day over, made her indoors happy,……got grips with garden.
                  cheers LARRY….
                  Kimosubby Shipyards
                  Participant
                    @kimosubbyshipyards
                    Hi Larry, Ashley and others,

beware coming back late from your Sunday sail with the lads, or this could be the result!

Strong girl that one! Good job I married her too!

Kimosubby
                    ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188
                      Kimo.. not sure how to reply to that one !!

Larry. Very frustrating, that. At least it went well for 60 secs, It
                      would have been worse if it had NOT gone well for 60 secs and then shed a
                      prop !!!

There was a bit of a thread a while ago about what was carried to the pond in the way of tools etc, and I posted a picture of my toolbox. There is rather a lot in it, tools, spares..couplings,connectors, props,air props..it usually stays in the car and I would rather take it than not as you never know…the object you leave at home is bound to be the one you want at the pond side.
                      Mostly it gets used to fix other chaps boats or try other props out on new builds/projects.
                      I think that despite having prepared a boat to the n`th degree, you cannot forsee the unforseen.

Ashley. Master of the blinkin` obvious (censored, not the b word I would normally use here)
                      LARRY WHETTON
                      Participant
                        @larrywhetton68737

HI KIMO, are you still IN the shed if-so give the girl a chance ……LARRY

ashley needham
                        Participant
                          @ashleyneedham69188
                          bah humbug. Rain stopped play. Berengar has a cold so on me own.

Just had time for more experimenting with this years first secret project (the second one being continuing work on the SRN4, possibly, but I do have a load of small die cast sea-Harriers and Merlin helicopters just itching to set to sea on an AIRCRAFT CARRIER), and then down it came. A small dog was there barking away for ages following it about so I couldn`t even bring it in, despite the rain getting heavier.

In the car were HMS Midge, for a bit of speed, and the TITANIC for a bit of calm, both in need of a dust,, in retrospect I should have sailed them anyway to give them a bit of a wash down.

Ashley
                          LARRY WHETTON
                          Participant
                            @larrywhetton68737

good morning ,ASHLEY, never mind days are getting longer, they say weather is getting …better also. LARRY….
                            Kimosubby Shipyards
                            Participant
                              @kimosubbyshipyards
                              Hi guys,

dry weather here, bit cold though – just the hardy half dozen at the water’s edge!

Took a IOM home build for another club member to view how to rig and set sails (as if I’m an expert) and also final ballasting tests for the “Del Prado Bounty” conversion.
                              Seems a lot of people will not build statics as all they do is sit on the shelf gathering dust, well I was given the full Del Prado Bounty consignment of monthly parts (100 @ £3.95 ea) and agreed to build it for the younger boaters to have a go. Started in late January this year, and now have just the rigging to do. With Ashley’s novel spring loaded mast tensioning to be employed it should be no bother?

Here she sits after successful trials, ballast required was 1.2Kg lead ingot plus power pack.

Kimosubby.

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188
                                Kimo, no trouble with a spring loaded mast !!
                                Surely i cant be the first to do a spring loaded mast?
                                The only thing I would say is watch out for stretching of the shrouds. I used stainless steel conga trace and so its very unlikely to stretch, however I have had to increase the pre-load a touch, as the mast bends a bit under pressure and the unloaded shroud unhooks, or tends to.

Ashley
                                Ole Vauger
                                Participant
                                  @olevauger

Can not brag about sailing opportunities in Norway. At least not yet. The ice is 4 inches thick. So I cheat and show pictures from club meeting last year. The club is Vestfold modell båt klubb. VMBK. Ole

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                  Participant
                                    @kimosubbyshipyards
                                    Hey, great to hear from you far away up there. When does the ice melt? We are still complaining about weather, even though its just under 10’C during day and a touch of frost some nights.

Thats a nice boat you’ve pictured, care to impart some facts?

Kimosubby.

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188
                                      ole. Sounds like you should have a few hovercraft or skimmers with ice that thick !!

If we have 1/4″ of ice on our pond we think we are hard done by..

Ashley
                                      Ole Vauger
                                      Participant
                                        @olevauger

Hello gentlemen. Up here, winter will continue for two more weeks. I think. Minimum. The boat in the picture from yester day is built by a member of the club. It is built over several years. Can obtain more information and pictures this summer. Hope to get one or two boats on the water this year my self. Good idea with <span class=”hps” title

Ole Vauger
                                        Participant
                                          @olevauger

Hello again. I lost a part of the text. A good idea with Hoover craft. Another possibility is ice sled. Or what about a Russian icebreaker. They have some impressive icebreakers in Russia. The fishing boat in the picture is one of those I hope to get on the water this year. It is far from finished but I hope. Ole

Peter Fitness
                                          Participant
                                            @peterfitness34857
                                            If we had any ice at all on our lake in winter, or any other time, we’d think that the end of the world had come A cold winter’s day here is 14 degrees Celsius.
                                            Peter.
                                            ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

Ole..I tried an ice breaker as a model and decided that , as a model, you just didnt have the weight needed to break ice, unless it was of exactly the right thickness, which never happens. When we do have ice, the lad uses the fishery protection vessel HMS Jersey (see my pics

) as this has a fibreglass hull and is moderately heavy and beamy so that beaching ON the ice is not too much of a problem.

Peter. I understand that heat can be a problem for models out there rather than rain or ice, causes decks to swell and glue to soften, that sort of thing ???

Ashley
                                              Peter Fitness
                                              Participant
                                                @peterfitness34857
                                                Ashley, I don’t have any problem with the heat affecting my models. I keep them in a small metal clad garden shed, and the temperature inside can reach over 40 Celsius during the summer. None of my models, including a Model Slipway “Sentinel” have shown any ill effects after more than 5 years. I think that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight has a more detrimental effect, particularly on plastic and fibreglass, than just heat.

Peter.
                                                Ole Vauger
                                                Participant
                                                  @olevauger

Hello Peter and Ashley. Hope you never get to experience ice Peter. But as you said radiation from the sun, is a bigger problem than heat. And just to tell it like it is, the ice is about 4 inches now but it has been 24 inches. So I understand that as you say Ashley, the weight will be a problem. Ole

Edited By Ole Vauger on 17/03/2011 22:

ashley needham
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ashleyneedham69188
                                                    Todays boating was super dooper. The sun was shining and the fishing season has finished so we were able to voyage around the larger pond.

We took “the project,” the BFB3, going very well on its smaller props, HMS Midge torpedo boat..a surprise this as were were out for about 1 3/4 hours and it was only just slowing down at the end..all on one 6v 4.5Ahr gell cell. And the Titanic, lasting easily on 2x 4.5Ahr batts – having only 3 X 385 MOTORS.

Also on the pond we had a “Slipway” (I think) Buoy handling boat, a snazzy dazzle painted missile type FAC (thrashed from a standing start by Midge!), a modified for r/c pond yacht and a Thames barge…oh yes, and an HMS Daring 1:96 I think (1946 version).

I managed to get a welly full whilst attempting to no avail to rescue the barge which was blown on to a collapsed island ..and no amount of pushing with the Torpedo boat helped either. Reminder….always carry the waders in the car, never know.

Ashley
                                                    Ole Vauger
                                                    Participant
                                                      @olevauger

It seems as if you had a great day Ashley. I must admit I’m a little envious. Our first club meeting at the pond will be 30.04. Ole

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 4,989 total)