Herbert Woods – Delight

Advert

Herbert Woods – Delight

Home Forums Scratch build Herbert Woods – Delight

• This topic has 93 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Ray Wood 3.
Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

Be interesting to see how you tackle the superstructure.

Chris

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure interesting is the word I'd use

Regards Ray

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Dead right Ray. Upperworks always the worst bit. Currently spraying flying bus hull, need a third tin of spray paint, at a tenner a time…it does not seem to be producing a good liquid shine and I don't want to have to lacquer it.

Ash

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi All,

With the topsides trimmed down to the gunwhale leveldelight 17.jpg , some temporary cross beams from balsa allows me to plot the inside line of the deck and the camber with some thought to the slots required in the deck for the canopy to slid down into

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

The autumn feel in the weather has boosted productivity the decks are in place and have an old drill motor 600 in place 16" inch stern tube is in with a bit of butchery of the bulkheads !delight 18.jpg , so it should be finished in a couple of weeks now

Regards Ray

Paul Ebdy 2
              Participant
                @paulebdy2

Blimey Ray dear fellow, she sure is coming along nicely. And her build follows the speed at which the real hire fleet craft needed to be drafted up, laid down and completed in record time for the forthcoming hire season.

Excellent work. Have you been in contact with the Herbert Woods current directors of your masterpiece.

Of my present Build of the 1930s Light Cruiser, for MB, finally chosen the 1934 Cruiser 'Ray Of Light', Herbert made slight differences to 'Ray' from 'Ring', albeit within the same class, last of Herbert Wood's Light Fleet, therefore thought She would be best suited to this project. Plodding along, but not at you pace alas, but getting there.

I have taken your advice upon the need to enjoy retirement, and thus now offered my resignation, to enable me to enjoy my miniature Broadland Boatyard. Should start to move along from November hopefully in a much more relaxed manner.

Keep up the fantastic works, as always,

Paul

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Paul. Well done son, join the “gentlemen of leisure” club!

The only problem I find is, with more free time, boats get built even quicker than before and I have trouble deciding what to build next.

Ray. You have either a seriously small motor there, or a huge boat…..!

Ashley (official pensioner next March)

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi All,

I have been taking time out whilst the forum is being re-modelled 🙂

Good to be back !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Delight bow

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Some progress made to Delight, now we have the running gear installed stern tube epoxied in and a brass rudder fabricated, before I tackle the outside of the hull’s final shaping, a couple of coats of International Top Lac to seal the balsa planking, It’s left over from a dinghy refurb, so no monies spent 🙂

I have been cutting out the cabin bulkheads and sides as a kit of parts which is the next stage.

Regards RayDelight 19 (2)

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

Hi Ray, good to read that you are making a cabin ‘kit’ for yourself, and pleased to see that you found your way back to the new forum. It’ll be a while before all is working 100% I recon.

I’m bogged down on getting my twin drive line organised and symmetrical. Waiting for an extension U/J to help me get the shafts attached to the motors. So I think I too will embark on some superstructure parts.

A lot of Ray WOODS about now. Any more and you’ll become a Ray ‘Forest’ 🙂

George

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hello George,

Yes your right of course very often can’t see the wood for the trees etc etc 🙂

As the dark evenings & mornings have arrived I thought some new projects would keep me interested !!

So I’m just starting a DH60 Moth 80″ span for a four stroke engine should be a fast build and enjoyable to fly I hope.

Get that tug boat sorted !!

Best RayDH60 Moth

gecon
                            Participant
                              @gecon

You’re going to need a lot of wood for that one Ray. Though, plenty of air between all the sticks too so I suppose it’ll be quite light for the size. You’ll almost be able to hover it on final approach with 10 knots of headwind.

Impressed by the diversity of your building projects, no fear of you getting bogged down by a couple of propshafts.

Well done,

George

James Hill 5
                              Participant
                                @jameshill5

Hi Ray

Good to see you back on the Forum.

The boat is coming along nicely. Your usual very tidy build, unlike mine I`m afraid. I need to improve!

The Moth is going to be an interesting build. I assume ready for flying next summer?, or is that too soon?

Beginning to get the hang of posting pictures now, after a couple of false starts so hopefully I can remember what I did right next time.

Regards………Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Just in case anybody thought or hoped I’d skipped the planet, not much going on with

Delight at the moment, but the DH 60 Moth is coming along for next year 🙂 15cc four stroke in position cabane struts next.

Had a count up currently 35 model boats here so I thought I could wait to finish the 36th after the Moth.

Regards RayDSC_0509

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

35! And that’s after selling some isn’t It?

The Moth with a 4 stroke motor will be nice. I never did get around to building a plane.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Nothing to report on the Delight build currently she has been put on the shelf for a while, since retiring things being built at a more sedate pace 🙂  The DH Gypsy Moth is coming along nicely !!

No actual boating at the moment as I’m not keen on this cold weather, I’m off to Lanzarote in January to warm up a bit 🙂

My grand daughter and I each had 20 minutes flying the Spitfire simulator at the Manston Spitfire & Hurricane highly recommended on £30 each such good value, flying from Biggin Hill to Battersea down the Thames (under the Dartford bridge } & land at Southend then fly back to Manston and land, well worth the trip, and the re-vamped Hornby Museum is just down the road 🙂

Happy Christmas & New Year to all my Forum friends from Kent.

Best Regards

Ray

Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

That sounds quite a treat Ray.  I’ve always fancied having a go on a proper simulator but never had the opportunity.  I’d have loved to have got my PPL but did 40 hours then my heart threw a wobbler and put paid to that.  I did once have an experience in a Tiger Moth though and flew it over Ladybower reservoir where the Dambusters trained.  I took the controls for most of the flight and loved every second of it.

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Just to let you know I will be back building Delight when I have finished the Gypsy Moth which has taken longer than expected !! still I’m on the home straight now with the 2 pairs of 80″ wings, fortunately there are only ailerons on the bottom wings,DH Moth 020424 there were a lot of ribs & riblets to cut as it’s from a plan not a kit 🙂

Regards Ray

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)