Broomfield Park update.

Advert

Broomfield Park update.

Home Forums All things floating Broomfield Park update.

• This topic has 22 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by Dave Reed.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Beall
    Participant
      @kevinbeall91525

Just checked on the progress of the boating lake at Broomfield Park, North London. When I walked past it a few months ago it looked a very sorry sight with weeds growing up in the cracks of the concrete. The news page on the Friends of Broomfield Park now says that repairs to the water supply and concrete base are now going ahead! This is great news as it is a really great facility and was well used before it closed. Lets hope it gets done before someone decides to spend the funds on something else!

Advert
      Kevin Beall
      Participant
        @kevinbeall91525
        Dave Reed
        Participant
          @davereed72029

There's been talk about this for years now, last time I checked I found what looked like a 'staged' photo of an inspection in progress. **LINK** , took this as a sign that not much was going to happen.

However, as Kevin says, it looks like there is some progress so I went and had a look.

Looks like we've got moles in the pond floor, a really big one near the cone.

Loose material has been chipped out of the slab joints and new tar dribbled into the joints. Some look quite waterproof, others I'm not so sure.

pond floor.jpg

A standing mat for a crane to lift the old pump.

crane mat.jpg

Notice on fence

notice.jpg

Not a very clear day, but quite good views from the top of the park – Ally Pally and City.

ally pally.jpg

city.jpg

Looking forward to seeing water in the pond.

Dave

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Good news. Kevin says it’s a nice facility (when up and working), two foot deep or so making boat recovery easy and of course it’s a constant depth so no sailing boat keel issues.

Ashley

Dave Reed
            Participant
              @davereed72029

It's been a while so I had another look.

pond.jpg

Recent rain has left some water in it – deep enough to float the nasty green scum. Not deep enough to float a seagull though, they're mostly standing on the bottom.

No sign of clean pumped water yet.

Kevin Beall
              Participant
                @kevinbeall91525

Thanks Dave, at least it's holding some water!

Dave Reed
                Participant
                  @davereed72029

Update from Council:

IMG_1090

Kevin Beall
                  Participant
                    @kevinbeall91525

Just in time for Christmas, what a lovely present!

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

Ah Kev, if that’s all you need for a good Christmas…..

Boxing day sail then, eh?

Ashley

PS Presume picture was of the pond in its heyday with some sort of show going on?

Dave Reed
                      Participant
                        @davereed72029

I lifted the image from a public facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/48597291524/?locale=en_GB

Presumably the council lifted the photo from old records. Also just come across a more recent photo from the same place – it looks like someone else has beaten us!

park boat

Kevin Beall
                        Participant
                          @kevinbeall91525

I took a walk over to the park yesterday morning, pond is full to what looks like about 4-5″, partly frozen, but what did surprise me was the amount of weed that has already started to grow on the bottom. Hope some of this will be cleared during the remaining work.

Would be nice to see the pond used again for boating but I’m not too sure how many people will be still in the hobby…

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Good luck with the pond. As long as they maintain it, it should be a great asset.

what’s needed is one or two boats the public can use on the day. That sparks the interest. A couple of landers or bumper boats, foolproof and fun.

Ashley

Dave Reed
                            Participant
                              @davereed72029

If I get to hear when it’s officially open to public, I’ll pop over with my bumper if I can. I’m sure Ashley knows someone who has a bumper or two, maybe even a landing craft? Eh Ashley?

In reality, Christmas and new year will probably get in the way for most.

Dave

Kevin Beall
                              Participant
                                @kevinbeall91525

Popped into see how the lake was coming along yesterday morning, nice and full due to recent rain, and nice to see a few hardy souls using the lake for the intended purpose. Looks like there are a few modellers on a Sunday morning meeting up which is great news.

Dave Reed
                                Participant
                                  @davereed72029

I was there, and it was cold.

Overheated my little RAF Rescue Launch and melted the plastic motor mount! Oops. Running a 7.2v 380 motor on 11.1 v will do that.

Oh well, back to the workbench tonight.

Dave

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Dave. splash out 15 quid on a 1400Kv 28mm brushless/esc combo and do mach 2 around the pond all day long…

380 on a 3s??,,!!! A wonder the fire brigade wasn’t called!

Ashley

Dave Reed
                                    Participant
                                      @davereed72029

Hi Ashley, I did start the day with throttle endpoints at 50%, the motor got warm but not too hot to handle. It was only after a couple of hours in the cold that my common sense froze up and stopped working. Limits removed, it only took a couple of minutes to do the damage.

Easy fix, lesson learned.

Now, about that brushless motor – I got a couple of 1000Kv ones when I built the bumper (remember the Landy?) so I still have a spare and I’ve got to rebuild the motor mount anyway…

Dave

ashley needham
                                      Participant
                                        @ashleyneedham69188

1000kv ones will be fine on 3s. 28mm motor should s rew straight on a 380/385/400 steel motor mount, easy.

(Great landy!)

Ashley

Dave Reed
                                        Participant
                                          @davereed72029

Half a dozen or so boats on the pond at Broomfield Park yesterday. Including a couple of fast electric, couple of airboats and a waterjet. The RAF launch now fitted with a 1000Kv brushless on metal mount, running on 3S. Runs well, if a tad over scale speed.

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Yes Broomfield Park was a regular venue for the AMBO Thames Barge racing series I have never sailed there as it’s been out of commission for a good few years, If any other sailormen fancy a barge sail there in the spring contact me 🙂

Regards Ray

Dave Reed
                                            Participant
                                              @davereed72029

Pond still full of rainwater so boating still going on. My little rescue launch needed rescuing after a sudden stop from full throttle. Capsized and showing her bottom to the whole park, very embarrassing. sent the Barbie Bumper car out for a swim and lost drive (blamed the cheap ESC). Evening repair session found broken wire so ESC cleared of blame.

All dried out and working now so ready for next week

Dave Reed
                                              Participant
                                                @davereed72029

Generally good boating today, from high speed racers crossing the pond at about Mach 2, to tugs pootling about the edges.

Only spoilt by the all to common issue of the out of control dog chasing and damaging a boat while dog owner stands off only to quickly leave the park with dog when it gets out of the pond. To be fair, most dog owners are responsible but it only takes one to spoil the day.

Dave

Dave Reed
                                                Participant
                                                  @davereed72029

sent the Bumper out for a paddle at Broomfield Park today – always popular.

bumper at Broomfield

Conditions not quite ideal though, picked up a little weed….

There’s a motor in there somewhere!

weed

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)