61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

• This topic has 647 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by neil hp.
Viewing 23 posts - 626 through 648 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330

Its sad but you still seem to come across it from some vendors. You can even speak to the Post Office and they will tell you very clearly that the contract is between the Post Office and the sender so the responsibility to follow up on items not arriving is with the sender. Unfortunately too many of them seem to take the attitude that once it has left them it is no longer their problem.

You even see Ebay sellers sometimes stating that it is not their responsibility if items do not arrive. I'm sorry but it is and I would not but from anyone who states that.

Anyway she is looking superb Neil. What is that on the piece of ply? I thought it was grease when I first saw it! I know it can't be Stabilit Express as there would be about 50 quids worth there!

So are we going to see this beauty on the water? Talk about a model with presence. The fenders look a treat, I'd have got the pudding thing done as well though.

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

hi Richard,, yes, had i seen the little fenders earlier, i would have had the lady crochet my bow pudding as well, as they really are a very nice product, and for what they are, very cheap as well.

the mush on the ply is Isopon P40……..It is a mixture of chopped strand matting and grp resin, and is mixed with a catilyst, but because it has the chop strand in the mix is a lot stronger as an adhesive than P38 filler.

As for the failure to deliver, i would have been happy had the supplier told me they would send a new set out and for me to return the others when/if they turned up……………but that wasn't even offered…………..c'este la vie'

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Neil,

I was down at Whitstable harbour this morning and immediately thought of you old mate

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from all your forum friends, too many to list but our thoughts are with you.

Oh bugger I didn't down load the picture (It's coming soon )

Kindest Regards

Everybody & me

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

lifeboat whitstable 110823.jpg

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I have been told via Martin Davies on Mayhem that Neil has posted on his Facebook page to the effect that his eight hour operation appears to have been successful.

Hopefully we will hear from him back on here before too long.

Colin

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

thanks Colin.

yes , not feeling too bad, bit sore and very tired at times but getting better, i came out of hospital on Saturday 16 days after the operation which the surgeon described as a good success.

the staff at Blackpool Victoria Teaching Hospital from the surgeon down were ALL; absolutely fantastic, lovely loving and caring and i COULD NOT have asked for finer care,

just taking it easy now and recouping as best as i can………….modelling will come later when i feel strong enough.

Thank you all for your support.

Neil.img-20230811-wa0003.jpeg

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Good to see you back Neil although it seems to have knocked you sideways a bit…

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Colin

James Hill 5
                  Participant
                    @jameshill5

Great to see things went well for you Neil.

Feet up for a while till the energy comes back. Plenty of days later to catch up on the modelling.

All the best……..Jim.

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Great to see that you got through the 'war' Neil. A strong focus on lots of R&R will get you ready for the autumn/winter building season…..though I do realise that your season is more or less 24/365.

Best wishes,

George

Edited By gecon on 15/08/2023 15:55:21

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

thank you all for your lovely and heart warming comments, and i really do appreciate them all.

And after a visit to our local walk in centre to have my dressings changed, and a sleep thios afternoon, am feeling so much better.

think the tide has changed and am on the right side of things now.

I will be taking it easy for a couple or so weeks, and then i suppose itchy fingers will creap in and will want to get backl on to the next project.

neil.

Stephen Garrad
                        Participant
                          @stephengarrad28964

Glad to hear you are recovering Neil, take it easy for a while & do as you are told.

Any idea what the next project will be?

Stephen

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp
                            Posted by Stephen Garrad on 15/08/2023 22:58:51:

Glad to hear you are recovering Neil, take it easy for a while & do as you are told.

Any idea what the next project will be?

Stephen

the completion of two pulling and sailing static Liverpool class lifeboats that i started last christmas

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

It has taken me 63 days to finally get the strength and enthusiasm back after my operation in late July to get round to naming my lifeboat PRINCESS MARY.

But this afternoon, I put her name to the bow and as the big model show of the North West of the UK looms ever closer with only12 days before the hall is open to put our models in for showing, I thought I'd better get the electronics into the boat to allow it to sail on the inside pond at the show, and that is what I have done this afternoon…………made a wiring harness to connect all to the motors, already installed.

This will give me time to get it all working properly.

img_7079.jpg

img_7081.jpg

img_7080.jpg

img_7082.jpg

img_7084.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 25/09/2023 18:52:26

Stephen Garrad
                              Participant
                                @stephengarrad28964

Good to see you back at the bench Neil

Stephen

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

cheers stephen.

must admit I could have probably got back earlier, but I get so very frustrated with electrical matters, as they seldom go right for me that it really p's me off and why I have been putting it off.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 26/09/2023 00:49:12

gecon
                                  Participant
                                    @gecon

Neil, I suspect that most of us tend to put off the jobs we are not too good at. On Sunday I draged out all the plugs, fuseholders and wiring from my 'electrickery stores' and started on the dreaded….soldering!teeth. I am better now than with the first boat in 2019 but only having launched three boats, there's not been much continuity of practice.

Looks like you've got a good bit of it done now though! Good luck with getting it all plugged in yes

George

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp

know how you feel george.

neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp
                                        This morning I bench tested the wiring and my test bed Buhler motors set up for this sort of reason and work……., linked to the 3 12v 4ah sla batteries that I will be using, and which also act as ballast for the model.
                                        And my final triumph of the session…………….I have got the motors and rudder working precisely as wanted, and needed, FIRST TIME………………amazing for me and my skills with electronics!
                                        And so I transfered all of the electronics into the boat, except the 3 batteries and tested the set up in situ………..BULLSEY!!! again it worked perfectly on one of my 7.2v 5ah nimhs.
                                        And so the 3 SLA batteries have gone on to a slow charge using my pro peak regulated battery charger, and these will be forrled by my 3 x 7.23v 5ah nihms as a back up for Blackpool show.
                                        I am now a happy chappy.
                                        neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp
                                          FINALY, after 15 months of work since I started this model, in 2022, I have finally fitted the remaining parts to the model Princess Mary.

The electronics have all been fitted, and the final task there was to fit the receiver above waterline with the 40mhz areal wire running around the inner combing of the hull, and all items held with double sided sticky tabs and abouty as neet as I will ever be!

I fitted the port and starboard boat hooks, white to port, blue to starboard, and two fittings to the cabin top which i had mislayed months ago, the search light and the loud hailer.

A few little touch ups where she had been scraped and she is now ready, apart from dust ready for putting on show and in the water at Blackpool in 2 weekends 14/15th October .

Look forward to seeing you all there.

img_7093.jpg

img_7090.jpg
                                          img_7095.jpg

img_7097.jpg
                                          img_7107.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 29/09/2023 20:19:45

Stephen Garrad
                                          Participant
                                            @stephengarrad28964

I wish I lived a bit closer Neil, I'd love to come and have a look. Good luck with it.

Stephen

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

thanks Stephen. i just hope she sails well after all the work.

Stephen Garrad
                                              Participant
                                                @stephengarrad28964

Neil

Nice to see a picture of the Princess Mary when she appeared at the Blackpool show in this months magazine. I certainly enjoyed following that build.

Stephen.

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

haven’t seen the mag for a long while now………..there is not a single stockist in the area…………..i presume the nearest would be Preston, 25 miles ago…………even Blackpools shops don’t anymore. so havent had a look.

Viewing 23 posts - 626 through 648 (of 648 total)