Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Advert

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Lancaster
    Participant
      @eddielancaster

Hi, Ray I'm off down to Aldi right now, that vice is just what I have been looking for!

Eddie.

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Eddie

Good show, I always thought the more vices you have, the more fun can be had

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 05/02/2018 11:24:10

Eddie Lancaster
        Participant
          @eddielancaster

Yes and this is one that I can use indoors in the warm!

Eddie

tomarack
          Participant
            @tomarack

Hi,

As far as sail control is concerned, experienced modeler Peter Simmonds wrote to me that he is using in his TSB models the Hitec 765HB lever arm servo for main sheet , and vangs too.

In my Capricorn I have sailing winch for main sheet and lever arm servo for vangs,

Some photos you can see here> http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/TSB_Capricorn/

http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Lady_Daphne/

Maybe some next answers you can find here… => http://barge.homeunix.org/index.php/home

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=95328

greetings Tom

Edited By tomarack on 10/02/2018 16:59:19

Edited By tomarack on 10/02/2018 17:07:54

Andy Stoneman
            Participant
              @andystoneman15177

Hi Ray,

You've made good progress with your build of Giralda, I'm learning to control the sowing machine a bit more everyday, Now that i have passed my proficiency test with it. Good luck making your sails. Its not as easy as I first thought. I liked your idea of using wire trace for your standing rigging. Sailed "Windsor Belle " pretty well in a 30klm breeze last week, Gusting to 35 klm, still dry in the hold, Lucky eh !

Regards, Andy

tomarack
              Participant
                @tomarack

let me put here list of Magazines with TSB articles

Model ship builder

Thames river Spritsail barge                       x  1 – 2 / 1991

Model Boats

TSB Kitty (model building + plan)                x  4 / 1999

TSB Celia Jane , plan and model building   x  9 – 12 /1984

Fine tunning / Celia Jane                    * Ivor Warne   x  7 / 2007

More fine tunning / Celia Jane                                   x  11 / 2008

Marine Modelling International

TSB Venta (model building)                         x   6 / 2002

TSB Veronica ( model building)           * R. Chesney 7-9 / 2014

TSB Westmoreland ( model building)  * P.Simmonds 7 / 2016

TSB Haughty Belle ( model building)   *P.Simmonds 9 / 2017

Ships in scale

TSB Experiment                                    x  5-8 / 2011

Edited By tomarack on 11/02/2018 15:07:07

tomarack
                Participant
                  @tomarack

Hi,

for enthusiast I can recommend these thames barge pages > https://www.facebook.com/groups/1491060737778004/

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

br eh ambo may 16 072.jpgHi Tom

Welcome to our thread, I did try and post on the AMBO forum a while back but the photos were hard to manage, so Andy from Australia and I have been in contact via this forum with our latest projects, His Windsor Belle and my 1/32 scale 30" Giralda build. I've been racing for 3 seasons so far with one of Peter Simmonds Veronica's in the AMBO match series through the summer, Peter has built 11 Veronica's at last count, being a shipwright by past profession he is extremely hard to beat on the water but we keep trying

Regards Ray br eh ambo may 16 070.jpg Maidstone Kent

tomarack
                    Participant
                      @tomarack

hello Ray,

thanks for your welcome. I browsed the Model Boats pages and saw my name, so I decided to join. I am somewhat older, for over 70 years, and I have started to deal with models rather lately.
                      In our country it is rather widespread aircraft modellig, ship modelers are few, and here where I live, so I build ship models only myself.

I must say that nobody knows TSB here, and my model barge Capricorn is the first to set sail on our waters.

It helped me a lot when I found a site about tsb, and also getting acquainted with Kim Holland and Peter Simmonds .. using internet correspondence.I've got a number of books and other materials, and so I can help, if I can.

Greetings

Tom

tomarack
                      Participant
                        @tomarack

Hi Ray,

– I think we've met on the AMBO site sometime ago – Problem with saving photos …
                        There is a problem that you can save photos of an optimal size of 100kB only.
                        I must first resample the photo and then save it (I use a JPEG resampler)
                        I have told myself several times that I would like to know how you continue with modeling ..

greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 12/02/2018 16:29:54

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Tom,

Yes I saw your Capricorn build and posts on the AMBO site, but nobody posted much on there recently, so this forum has a wide variety of themes. If you look at my album my modelling interest is across the whole spectrum, I also still fly RC and have railway interests, I'm always building

Regards Ray

tomarack
                          Participant
                            @tomarack

Hi Ray,

very nice boats… and so much.. congratulation!! … I can not compare with you..

the last autumn news >   https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/?listType=&sort=createDate&page=0

I made only several RC boat models… e.g ps Lulonga ..     

>  https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/RC_model_Lulonga/

aussie type sidewheeler >   https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Ned_Kelly/

and some next.. e.g steam tug Saturn ,several sailboats..

and some of my woodcarvings. >   https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/deda_vyrezaval/

sorely it is not possible for me to devote itself to carving and build ship models together…

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 12/02/2018 18:41:28

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

140218 002.jpgHi All

Sewing sails is a painfull experience and I'm never going to be a tailor ! hemming the sails is not to hard, but hand sewing on the bolt rope is a trial, I've installed the Savox servo with the brass extension as my winch, I'm hoping the main sheet and vang can be controlled together, the travel should be sufficient as the main has a 2:1 off the rear horse and the vang will have twice the travel for running before the wind. Time will tell, but most racing courses involve a lot of beating with everything pulled in tight, I put a small platform in the bottom of the hull to keep the receiver and battery out of the bilges, well on track for the new season's racing which starts on April 8th

Tom,

I couldn't open the pictures of your boats and carvings, maybe you could create an album on this forum for us to see your handywork ?

Regards Ray140218 003.jpg

tomarack
                              Participant
                                @tomarack

Hi Ray,

server Rajce has some troubles with original basic Windows browsers , here are recommend these

Google Chrome

Mozilla Firefox

Opera

Apple Safari

because I have a lot of photos on this Rajce, please try another browser – but there's no problem putting some photos here.

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 15/02/2018 18:13:45

tomarack
                                Participant
                                  @tomarack

Hi Ray

try please this..

http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/TSB_Capricorn/#IMG_9290.jpg

http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/TSB_Capricorn/#IMG_9829.jpg

or please.. which way can I put photo here??

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 15/02/2018 18:24:53

tomarack
                                  Participant
                                    @tomarack

Hi, I gave some photos to the new album TSB Capricorn here =>

Gallery

next …

at the album´s  end I add phoro of my quarterwheeler Lulonga (Model Boats 12/1984) 

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6336.45

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 17/02/2018 18:14:42

Edited By tomarack on 17/02/2018 18:36:06

Edited By tomarack on 17/02/2018 19:57:01

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All

SB Defiance is moored at Allington near Maidstone she is a new build barge in steel 2008, with many parts re-cycled from older barges, useful for reference for little Giralda

Regards Ray200218 007.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

010318 006.jpgHi All

Well it was -5 degrees on the way into the office today, having worked at home for the last 2 days ! fair quantity of snow fell twice in Maidstone and more too come, little Giralda is ready for the water, with only a white staysail to complete her, If she shows promise on the water speedwise010318 005.jpg I may go the extra mile with more detailing

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                        Participant
                                          @eddielancaster

Hi, Ray, That looks a really interesting boat, it would be nice to see it on the water. Is that your standard matt blue deck paint? it goes well with the sail colour.

Best wishes.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi Eddie

Yes that's International non slip deck paint light blue, I have a litre tin !! I'm refurbishing a Mirror Dinghy down at Pevensey Bay SC and may buy some beige or grey, so this will open up the choice available for my models

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

Morning Ray, Perhaps I should go down to the chandlers at Ramsgate harbour whilst I'm down here and see if I can get some beige for the deck of Ardent and for the boats that are in the pipeline!

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Eddie

I would keep your wallet in your pocket ! I would think a litre of deck paint would be £25 !! I'd buy an emulsion paint sample pot and put some fine sand in it, would look the same and the amount the model gets wet in real time is minimal. Masked sections of coloured deck paint look really good on a overall colour of say white ?

Regards Ray

Andy Stoneman
                                                Participant
                                                  @andystoneman15177

Hi Ray, it sounds a little bit cool for sailing but I bet you can't wait to have Gerald in the water, You've made a really nice looking barge. The sail colour looks very original, Hard to get a colour like that here, Ive not sailed Windsor belle for awhile, Far too hot and muggy down on the water where I sail. I`m in the process of making a larger mainsail, I think mines too small as looking at barge pics they mainsail seems to sit right over the horse, mines at least and inch less of it. Hope it works.

Regards, Andy

Eddie Lancaster
                                                  Participant
                                                    @eddielancaster

Thanks for that suggestion Ray, I'm back home now and painting the deck is my next job, so I will look carefully at your suggested paint scheme, hope I will have some photo's later in the week.

Eddie

tomarack
                                                    Participant
                                                      @tomarack

Hi Ray,

and others…if you have some troubles with  access on my rajce albums

try first this web address please.. > http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/

there are all my albums …

Then you can browse – last photos are in tsb "Lady Daphne" album. I am slowly making next details , e.g rudder hinges and jackstay on the main mast. As I have Alu mast,(14/12/10mm) I had to fix it .So I made threaded M2 holes from the back of the mast, then glued M2 screws in. On these screws I soldered tin brass wire 1 mm , 250mm long.I have also used this on the Capricorn model..

Some older are in >tsb Capricorn and Capricorn leto 2017. as I wrote earlier

My woodcarvings are then  at page > starší »

greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 21:38:36

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 21:43:33

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 22:05:30

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 778 total)