Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Advert

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

• This topic has 777 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Ray Wood 3.
Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    tomarack
    Participant
      @tomarack

Hi Ray, no sailing here anyway, on saturday I was mowing the grass, nice weather.

Today I worked a little on fixing the sails, but I didn't do much.

Advert
      tomarack
      Participant
        @tomarack

Hi,

I slowly attach the sails to the model. I'm trying to glue using double-sided tape, but I'm not very successfulMinikitty

tomarack
        Participant
          @tomarack

Hi Ray,

I sent you a reply on Inbox, sorry for replying so late but I'm not used to checking there often.

I didn't realize right away that you were writing on Inbox.

Many greetings …

Tom

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi All,

Yesterday was my barge yacht Tiny Mite's turn for a sail on the Mote Park lake at Maidstone, another brilliant Peter Simmonds build, which I managed to prise from his grasp

The weather is on the turn for the better

Regards Raytiny mite 300423.jpg

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Good shot, Ray. Lovely day to sail yesterday! Ashley

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi All,

Not a TSB but in the same category I think, I have just managed to buy this superb Norfolk Wherry from a gentleman selling off his models, to add hernorfolk wherry 090523.jpg to my heritage fleet, built in 1986 she is fully detailed with a 7 1/2 lb removable keel and is 45" long stem to stern post, hopefully on the water tomorrow at Bluewater with new RC fitted

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 09/05/2023 09:55:19

Jay P
                Participant
                  @jayp

Hello Ray , this is John who was building the No Budget Barge, and to whom you kindly sent advice and pictures some while ago, I am so envious of your latest addition to your fleet , and saw one on FB a few days ago which I was going to buy, ….. but I missed it – I wonder if yours was the very same one ?? Looks like I'm going to have to build my own then.

Re the barge she now has a name , – Julieann, (but she's still not allowed on the mantleshelf) she is now finished and after fettling , – following a dissapointing maiden voyage, sails really well and has pleasantly surprised me.

Also to Tom , thanks very for the advice, diagrams and pictures you also sent me they were very useful.Keep on with your Mini Kitty.

I will be very interested to hear how the Wherry sails Ray

Regards to all John

(and when I can figure out how to load a picture of Julieann I will)

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi John,

Yes that's the one, I'm a fan of Facebook sales, I also had the advantage of being local, so I shot over there fast

It's much larger than I thought !! I was going to take it to the Norfolk Broads next week on holiday but I doubt there will be room in the car

I will let you know how it sails

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hello John,

I took the Wherry out yesterday and she sails very well with all new radio gear installed but like bus's they seem to come along in pairs, this one is GRP hull and deck, I have been offered a clinker built wherry so if your interested in buying this one you would be welcome, I'm based in Maidstone Kent and it would be collect only I'm afraid It wouldn't travel well by post, please let me know if your interested.

The skipper had just gone below to put the kettle on

Regards Raywherry bluewater 100523.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 11/05/2023 21:13:10

Jay P
                      Participant
                        @jayp

Hi Ray, glad she sails well!!…… well the other one being offered thats a coincidence eh! Should we discuss this elsewhere if so pls advise how,… I do have a neighbour visiting Maidstone next week, but not sure about anything till we can speak.

Regards

John

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hello John,

Yes it's all about timing

I will send you a private message with my phone number, It will come up under your profile picture.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

I'm off to spend a week on the Norfolk Broads on this Gin Palace (well it will be)

Hoping for some Wherry spotting, I haven't been on a hired cruiser since the 1970's It will be interesting to see the changes

Regards Raydelight1.jpg

Jay P
                            Participant
                              @jayp

Hi Ray , very jealous, I also haven't been there for a long time, enjoy it and I hope the weather is kind

John

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Very nice Ray, keep away from the bridge at Potter though.

Colin

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

re; wherries…………almost always one moored on the stretch just after Acle heading towards Gt Yarmouth

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

altair side view.jpgaltair bow.jpgHi All,

Well being refreshed after my Norfolk Broads holiday on the good ship Delight 2 from Herbert Woods yard at Potter Heigham last week, the second Wherry has been purchased from a club mate this morning at Bluewater Chantry Club, she is Altair of Oulton, a special model which I had to have for my Heritage fleet, I don't say this lightly she was built in 2007 by Ivor Bittle, a master model builder and expert technical author. I was lucky enough to meet Ivor several times before he went to live in the West Country. His expertise I will never equal, but I keep trying.

She is clinker built from ply and represents the way the Wherries have been converted for holiday charters, apparently there are 7 still operational on the Broads today .altair internals.jpg

The first Wherry I bought is going to a new home with John AKA Jay P on the forum so everybody is happy

Regards Ray

tomarack
                                    Participant
                                      @tomarack

Hi Ray,

Very nice model, indeed!

My Mini Kitty model made her maiden voyage this Tuesday afternoon

It seems to have succeeded in creating a balanced rigging, the Model sailed surprisingly well even in a light breeze.

The problem was that the model did not respond well to the rudder.

Only when I finally pulled it out of the water did I realize that I had forgotten to attach the extension for increasing the rudder..As soon as I got home, the storm started…At home the next day I made minor repairs and finished the rudder extension. It was almost ready, but it was missing the holes for the locking pin. I ended up replacing it with a hook with a pulley on the sheetsimg_5126.jpg of the Mizzen Mast. I attach the hook to the rudder for transport.

Greetings

Tom

tomarack
                                      Participant
                                        @tomarack

Mizzen sheet

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hello Tom,

Great to see you Mini Kitty on the water, small models are so easy to transport We have some summer sunshine here for a Bank Holiday weekend but still a chilly Easterly wind !!

Kind Regards from the UK

Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 27/05/2023 08:08:15

tomarack
                                          Participant
                                            @tomarack

img_5160.jpgimg_5170.jpgHi,

I'm still teaching Mini Kitty to sail. I had a problem with the servo for the rudder, which came loose (the small screws holding the servo are fixed in the balsa) and the model didn't listen very well. I changed the mizzen sail – a design like a mullie rig(?), and finally changed it for the third time for a classic with a mizzen sprite. When it's nice and windy, I'll go to the water with the model again. So far it's raining – not raining – Weather like in April. I also had to fix the fore horse rider for the Fore sail. As a runner  I had (for this size) a small carabiner .Which stuck to the fore hold cover.There is really very little space .In the end I used a ring with a diameter of 4 mm as a slider, and the sail does not get stuck anymore.

The difficulties in learning to sail such a small model are completely different from, for example, my Capricorn barge model.

GREETINGS
                                            Tom

Edited By tomarack on 06/06/2023 15:10:43

Edited By tomarack on 06/06/2023 15:23:00

tomarack
                                            Participant
                                              @tomarack

img_5180.jpgHi,

I almost forgot… about a month ago I made a new bowsprit for Capricorn. It is 10 cm longer than the old one. Total length 50 cm (19.7", then 40 cm (15.7" off the deck. If I am not mistaken, it is actually 12 meters -39.4'. – like racing rig. I still need to modify a new Li-Ion battery to go with my barge models on the water. My older gel Pb batteries 12V have gone to eternal hunting grounds…

Greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 06/06/2023 16:41:55

Edited By tomarack on 06/06/2023 16:43:15

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi All,

The Chantry Model Boat Club at Bluewater Shopping Centre is holding a Thames Sailing Barge day on Sunday 29th October, It may include some races and fun sailing, so If you would like to come along everybody welcome, membership for the day is a bargain @ £2.00 Free car parking, toilets & club pavillion/hut for teas/coffee's , plus 100's of shop's !!

If anybody wants to try sailing a barge it will be arranged, I'm taking my fleet, and there will be some part built projects for sale.v&g@mote parkmay18.jpg

Regards Ray

tomarack
                                                Participant
                                                  @tomarack

Hi Ray,

hope you have nice weather for the meeting!!

I would like to return to your "Norfolk wherry" model. As far as I could compare, the size of the Norfolk Wherry is close to the American vessel "Piscataqua River Gundalow". ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundalow )

As I think I wrote some time ago, my model is 90 cm long. (here in my albums)img_2237.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundalow

Edited By tomarack on 28/09/2023 16:32:22

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hello Tom,

The Wherry is 1100mm long and sails very well, I'm very happy to have her in my fleet

Best Regards from the UK

Raywherry sofa.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Just a reminder that the Chantry MBC at Bluewater Shopping Centre in Kent are having a Thames Sailing Barge day this coming Sunday 29th October all welcome I’m hoping to see some of the old AMBO crew, and the forecast looks windy so batten down your hatch’s 🙂

Any one who’s never been it’s best to park at the far end of the John Lewis car park near the creche !!

Best Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 778 total)