New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Advert

New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Home Forums News and Feedback New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

There is some sort of internal glitch according to the Webmaster. It should clear itself with a bit of luck!

Colin

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

I have had trouble logging in with Firefox, but it is OK with Chrome

Bob

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

I’m on Firefox. Not had any problems.

Colin

Chris E
          Participant
            @chrise

I’m on Firefox & couldn’t log in earlier but as you can see I can now.

The new page problem has changed. When I came to the forum earller there was a page 6 showing for this thread but I guess nothing on it. I pressed for page 6 and it just took me back to the front page. Now there is something on it obviously no problem.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Chris, yes there seems to be a basic inconsistency within WordPress here. Seems it brings a new page forward without there being anything on it.

Nothing I can do about it myself I’m afraid.

Colin

James Hill 5
              Participant
                @jameshill5

Hi Colin. Same problem here. Can login and as soon as you pick a post subject, I get logged out again. Not sure if you can read this.

Regards,

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Yes, your post is there OK. Have you tried clearing the catche on your device?

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Colin,

The forum doesn’t seem to be updating on my android devices ie tablet & phone ??  all good on my laptop 🙂

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Hi Ray,

There have been enormous problems on the Model Engineer site over Christmas and this is one of the issues reported. Not sure to what extent it has affected MB as there has been virtually nil activity over the Xmas period.

One possible solution is to clear your cache on the affected devices which has worked for some ME people.

Mortons called their IT people in over the break and they have struggled to resolve this issues. I’m told that efforts are now being stepped up today. I will post more info when I have it.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

I did speak to someone yesterday who said they were unable to log into the forum, despite having no trouble in the past.  Have you heard of anything Colin, I asked them to contact you.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

No, but if they couldn’t login then they wouldn’t have been able to. There is a lot of confusion at the moment. I’m not sure whether people not logging in can see the forums – I imagine they probably can but I’m not about to risk logging out myself until these issues are resolved.

As per Ray’s post, it does seem that some devices are more affected than others and that PCs seem to be unaffected.

As of now I don’t have any real information or answers – just a stream of copy emails between Mortons and one of the ME Moderators which are not very enlightening in explaining what is at the root of the problems.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

I agree, I suggested they PM you through Mayhem!  I’m also not going to log out, as a freind of mine used to say “Don’t prod the dog!”

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

No issues on Samsung android phone. Smsung android Pad, mini i-pad or hp laptop here.  Mind you I seem to be the only one posting much……

I do get an odd page with topic lists and so on on it when changing pages but this clears almost straight away.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

There’s been a lot of work going on over on the ME website today.

I will post a bit more once I get shot of this bug which drove a coach and horses through our Christmas! Not been in the workshop for ten days.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

I am finding it extremely erratic these days.   Very difficult to stay signed in, or post anything!

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

Mortons say they have now applied a fix!

As before:

Log in using your original email address and password. use lower case (no capitals)

It would also be sensible to clear your device cache and remove any cookies relating to Mortons or Model Boats.

Good luck!

Colin

Chris E
                                    Participant
                                      @chrise

Just a test. Please ignore.

Edit – yes it works & I can even edit the post.

Len Morris 2
                                      Participant
                                        @lenmorris2

Hi Colin,

The site seems very quiet at the moment even allowing for holidays etc.  Perhaps it is a ‘log in’ issue for many users.

I’ve had no problems at all except once over Christmas and I’ll come to that in a moment.  For the record I use a desk top computer running 64 bit Windows 10 Pro.  My browser of choice is Google Chrome.   It’s a very standard package and nothing fancy.  I switch on, let the computer sort itself out, select Chrome, and then the Model Boats shortcut.  It takes me straight into the site already logged in.  It’s quick and I think the site is working now better than the old site.

Over Christmas (for some mad reason and perhaps with too many sherries inside) I had a computer clean up and did clear the cache and cookies.  What a pain that gave!  I lost all connectivity.  I had to search for Model Boats, find and enter all the secret stuff and prove two times I wasn’t a robot.  Finally got it all reset after entering a new shortcut.  If it ain’t broken don’t fix it is very true.

Just so you know. 🙂

Len

Colin Bishop
                                          @colinbishop34627

Thanks Len,

Yes, Mortons do have quite stringent access procedures. To be fair, when th new site initially went live they were overwhelmed by malicious attacks and ‘webspiders’. A lot of the problems have been due to them trying to find a happy medium.

Time will tell.

Colin

Chris E
                                          Participant
                                            @chrise

Are posts disappearing or……….

If I look at the forum topics list it tells me that the last post in Todays Boating was by Richard S and was made 2hrs 38 minutes ago. If I click on that topic the last post shown is again by Richard S but on 10th January at 0912 – more than 3 days ago. I replied to that post by Richard and that reply isn’t there at all.

What is happening & will this post still be here next time I look?

Colin Bishop
                                              @colinbishop34627

Seems OK to me Chris – are you allowing cookies?

Colin

Richard Simpson
                                              Participant
                                                @richardsimpson88330

I can only say I’ve not had any problems with the new site.  Whether I’m lucky or perhaps a little bit more tech savvy than average I couldn’t say but I certainly never put myself down as an expert.

It would definately benefit from some more members posting on here though.  If I was making decisions at Mortons and looking at the numbers of posts going on this forum I would have to conclude it simply wasn’t worth the resources for the amount of use it was getting.

James Hill 5
                                                Participant
                                                  @jameshill5

Hi Richard,

I think your last comment regarding resources and the amount of use is the worry. The last thing we want is the plug pulled on the forum, but I also think that at this time of the year we tend to hibernate indoors and perhaps the modelling slows down and we don’t have a great deal to show or talk about. I know in my case, I’ve tried to bring bits to make indoors as the garage is not the best place to be with no heat in it, so progress is somewhat restricted.

Regarding the new site. At the moment I find I quite often have to login twice before I stay connected, but I can live with that.

Jim.

Tim Cooper
                                                  Participant
                                                    @timcooper90034

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Jim</p>
                                                    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I have the same problem I have the same problem. I have to go through the sign on three times</p>

Tim

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

I’d resisted making similar comments in case they were self-fulfilling. Trouble is even before the changes the forum was getting quieter because of the demise of a number of members and a shrinking hobby. Even with the bigger forums I’ve noticed that during the few years I’ve been involved in the hobby that activity has dropped off a lot, apart from a temporary increase during Covid.

The Mayhem Facebook Group is quite busy but a different animal. Fine for folks wanting quick answers and comments but not good for build blogs and historical data etc. as the posting is so disjointed.

Some of the regular posters have persevered during the problems but I guess new or less frequent visitors haven’t because of the issues with gaining access and posting etc. Hopefully now that the site is more stable then activity will improve.

For my part winter is the time that I do most building and the reason I took up the hobby, well that was the plan. I haven’t done much this winter though and won’t be doing much either partly due to one of my son’s moving into a flat.

Chris

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 171 total)