Herbert Woods – Delight

Advert

Herbert Woods – Delight

Home Forums Scratch build Herbert Woods – Delight

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    ashley needham
    Participant
      @ashleyneedham69188

Just noticed Rays remark regarding me working in secret, and the main reason for this usually is I want to maximise the ‘wow’ factor upon reveal, seeing as the craft is not likely to be something you normally see. Earlier on I was not sure PF liked seeing builds progressing on the forum and then appearing later in the mag so I didn’t.

Current project is delightfully odd, from 1933…

Regarding glue and thin mating surfaces, the current build is exclusively in 0.8mm ply and styrofoam. I have no issues with joining 0.8mm ply with superglue, even on corners, the join is usually very strong and Obviously if poss I reinforce with strips or blocks of balsa or foam. Gorilla glue is good stuff, and several parts of the current build (like the top,panels, which I will not be able to get at underneath once glued) will be gorilla-ad together, being generous with the glue, and the resultant foam will be the joints (0.8 to 0.8mm at a 90 degree angle) reinforcement.

If I do have only superglue joints anywhere I try and paint them with PVA after…just in case….not necessarily because of immediate strength concerns, but more like the two glues will age differently and 5 years down the line there will not be too many issues.

Ashley

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

Nice to back to the workshop !!!

That boat is going to another classic with that slide back roof section.

Harry

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Ashley,

Yes I think previous editors liked people to keep their power dry till publication of the magazine ! that's not really the case now, some of my designs were built a while back so are still relatively fresh

Pretty sure Lindsey doesn't look at this forum anywaywink

If I ever have another design published which is doubtful at the moment as retirement has taken over I also realised that I did much of the leg work while I was at work too busy now.

Housework yesterday, workshop today !!

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Yes, the previous editor asked me if I was interested in doing a build article, but if I was, not to do a build blog. I had a couple more Faireys in the offing, but wasn't ready to start them and with the other builds would have taken too long. He then left, so decision made!

It's amazing how things change when you "retire". I've hardly used my motorbikes due to lack of time and I guess waning enthusiasm. Been doing other things but as much as you don't want to admit it you do slow down as well. When at work I used to come home and do DIY and private extension drawings to late at night and at the weekends. Not any more! By teatime I feel too tired to do much more, and there's always tomorrow!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

delight 9.jpgdelight 7.jpgHi Chris,

You are right ! since retiring I have discovered there is always tomorrow

After a couple of days feeling rough and now my systems seem to be back on the top line

The bulkhead 1 was much to full and would have created a rather bluff bow so some sketching and a template made to get both sides the same, I have altered the shape .

The main part of the hull will be 3/16" soft balsa sheet and is taking a bit of coaxing to bend !! the area to the bow will be Styrofoam and carved to shape.

Regards Raydelight 8.jpg

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

I had the same "problem" when doing the drawings for the Fisherman (yes, I will start it one day!) Without a chine to work to you have to make a good estimate.

Chris

James Hill 5
                Participant
                  @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

The new build is coming along nicely and as usual , up to your usual high standards.

As Chris says, retirement certainly seems to slow you down. I know, like you, since being on my own , you tend to work at your own pace, but things get done just the same.

Will be watching the build come together, perhaps not at the breakneck speed we`ve all got used tolaugh

Best wishes , Jim.

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

He'll still be overtaking me Jim, multiple times! smiley

Chris

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Hi Ray, very tidy hull bulkheads. I was glad to get some strip onto my Fisher bulkheads -to hide the shoddy saw-work. Apart from the fact that the boat would sink, it's a pity you have to cover yours!

And "Hi" to all the tired people…. Good to read that I'm not the only one with dwindling energy/enthusiasm. Haven't done anything to the Smit tug for over a month. But now that I read that this is very normal….I'll do some work on it this weekend! Thanks to all for the unintentional perk-up.disgust

George

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Hi George

We've been moaning about the prolonged spell of wet weather which has stopped us from doing things, though for me it has meant some unplanned modelling time, but today it's been too hot!

Good to see you have started another build and have been following.

Chris

James Hill 5
                        Participant
                          @jameshill5

Ray overtakes most of us I think Chris, most certainly me. If I went any slower I`d be going backwards!

Like George, I need to get myself in gear and get things moving again.

Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Jim, Chris & George,

Not in a rush with this one I'm enjoying not working freelance at every bodies beck and call I feel sorry for my children they will have to work till there 75 !!

Delight planking moving ahead, 1" wide so that helps on the bottom, the acid test is the bow shape in foam !!!

The knuckle feature is going to be interesting.

Regards Raydelight 10.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

This hot weather has driven me back into the workshop ! the planking has just reached the tricky stage !! I'm almost looking forward to the foam blocks at the bow !!

Regards Raydelight 11.jpg

James Hill 5
                              Participant
                                @jameshill5

The usual neat work we`ve all got used to seeing Ray.

Hope things are going well with you.

Regards …….Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Thanks Jim,

I hope all is as well as it can be with you I have sent you a message

Regards Raydelight1.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

Well the planking is complete ! why is it the two sides never go the same although I'm sequential one on each sidedelight 12.jpg ? still onward now with the styrofoam bow blocks being glued in position, carving soon

Nothing like having a big enough Record G clamp to hand !!

Regards Ray

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Hi Ray,

Can't see from here that the two sides are not indentically planked…now that all the planks have been squeezed in!

Good to note that you're keeping 'sequential' ie, one on each sideyes.

Nice clampsmiley. Might try to get 2 of those, fill in the 'G'….and throw away my Becker rudders!

Wife and I recovering from dose of Covid. Kept me quite for a while…..for a while.

Regards George

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear you and your better half have been suffering with the dreaded Covid

Yes the planking on one side had perfect full width stealer planks and the other side a bit of a hotch potch !! as you say nobody will know or care

Our big Model Show this weekend in Kent at Headcorn Aerodrome, maybe 20 club stands for boats, I will be there with both my clubs Chantry & Cygnets, there is a nice size pool formed with hay bales and a plastic liner so I will able float some of my boats the Thames Barges draw the most attention so I will take Veronica .

Hope you both feel 100% again soon

Best Regards from the UK

Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

The last foam blocks are glued in place, next stage will be interesting !!!

Regards Raydelight 14.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Delight's bow is now finished , pictures to follow,

Slight distraction last Friday to go on board my next build L'Orage at St Katherine's dock,l orage.jpg the founding craft of the Dunkirk Little Ships Association, then owned by Raymond Baxter, now owned by John & Sally who keep her on the Thames , she is immaculate in every respect

Loads of photos taken so watch this space.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Well as Ashley would say that's the easy part done !! not really a thing of beauty but a good displacement hull for 5mph on the delight 15.jpgBroads

Build a stand next and get her off the board.

Bit of a cock up not making the keel/skeg really deep enough for the prop, sack the draftsman !! , some skull duggery will be required

Regards Ray

David Marks 2
                                              Participant
                                                @davidmarks2

Ray – I would be possibly interested in using foam on a future model. Please could you advise the name, type pf adhesive used and method of trimming to the correct profile, Many thanks.

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

If you sack the draftsman……who's going to build the boat?

George

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hello David,

The grey Styrofoam is from 4 D Modelshop Ltd The Arches Leman Street E1 8EU , fab shop mainly for Architectural Modellers . They have a Website 50 mm X 600mm X 1250mm 33Kg density £35.60

This is my cheapo snap off blade knife with a 4" bladefoam & knife 130923.jpg which I use to carve to the rough shape then a Permagrit block & fine abrasive paper.

Glue I use is Gorilla Woodworking PVA , other makes available

Also used to be called Blue foam by Dow chemicals but becoming hard to source .

George,

We I thought I'd sack myself, but as I'm a gentleman of leisure these days ! that could be tricky

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Knocked up a chipboard & plywood stand for her and cut free from the board, with one side trimmed we appear to have a boat !! at 1- 12th scale she's going to be a good size hull currently weighs in at 2 lbs.

As Ash would say that's the easy part done

Regards Raydelight 16.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)