The new journey begins

Advert

The new journey begins

Home Forums Build Blogs The new journey begins

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mick east
    Participant
      @mickeast46851

A new journey begins. I have almost finished the lady Jane but I’m already into a new project (got to keep the nearly eighty year old grey matter working) . This time a totally different type of ship the woodleigh near water trawler. I’ve upscaled the plans to 11/2 times the original size and have already set up the building jig ( I use a back bone method ie;a back bone is set at the water line 1 level and all the frames and keel are fixed from that datum line  , the photos will probably explain it better than I can.) I’m really looking forward to the build as there is a lot of detail to build into the model and my trusty lathe is going to get a work out .I anticipate that it will take a year or so for the build as being retired I spend on average two to three hours a day in the work shop  and my good lady wife encourages to do so , bless her heart .  One of the advantages of being married to your best friend. 20240330_094407if 20240330_094400

Advert
      mick east
      Participant
        @mickeast46851

If members are interested I’m quite happy to post updates on the build

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Count me in.

Tim Rowe

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Mick,

I’m in as well 🙂

I have built a Jim Pottinger Spanish fishing boat some years ago ! I cant quite remember where I put her 🙂

A trawler is on my list eventually, good work so far.

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely! We haven’t seen a good build thread for a while now so I’m looking forward to seeing yours.  Do you have any shots of the completed trawler, either real or model?

mick east
              Participant
                @mickeast46851

Woodeigh near shore trawler She was featured in a free plan  of ship lines few issues back I’ve upscaled to 1 1/2 times original plan . The feature was not so much about building the model more about the history of the boat . It was a really good read and sold me completely into wanting to build it. Regards Mick East ( eastie)

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Ah! Got it, I remember now.

Model Boats November 2022

An interesting shot here as well if you haven’t seen it yet:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/media/woodleigh-lt240.359394/

mick east
                  Participant
                    @mickeast46851

There is a great youtube vdeo of a model Boston typhoon trawler  from subwaterfilms. Such a great model . My ambition is to create a  model to that standard .

mick east
                    Participant
                      @mickeast46851

Although I suspect the model in question has a fibre glass hull . I’m not into plastics more of a wood man .i like the pleasure of seeing the shape of the hull reveal its self as the frames and planking progress , not that I have anything against fg hulls it’s just not my scene

mick east
                      Participant
                        @mickeast46851

The frames are cut out and dried fitted to the keel , you can now get a idea of the ships lines. Next job fitting the stringers and the amount of stringers is dependent on whether i go for conventional for and aft planking with 2mm thick planks or diagonal planking using 2 to 3 layers of 1mm ply wood. I’m going to ruminate on it for a day or two .20240401_11030320240401_11031420240401_110248

Tim Rowe
                        Participant
                          @timrowe83142

Hello Mick

May I suggest that if you are decided to use diagonal planking, you consider doing the first two layers diagonal and the final layer fore and aft.  I think it would be quite hard to finish the ply diagonals without then showing and that would not be in keeping. This triple layer is quite common in full size.

Plywood is also relatively hard to sand so I would suggest doing planking in a suitable strip-wood or at least the outside layer. This will be much easier to sand and will avoid the risk of exposing the layers in a plywood plank.

I like the strong-back.

Tim Rowe

James Hill 5
                          Participant
                            @jameshill5

Always interesting to see how others manage on a build. Going to be interesting following yours.

Funnily enough, I’ve got that magazine edition as well. I thought the cover picture on the magazine certainly caught the eye.

Best of luck with your build,

Jim.

mick east
                            Participant
                              @mickeast46851

I’ve decided to go the conventual way that I’m comfortable ,for and after planking.

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

I think that was a good point above re planking with plywood. It is not the best material for the purpose. Lime or basswood is a much better option as it is more flexible and easier to sand. You can buy it in sheets and cut it to whatever stripwood width is appropriate. I used this method in my Greek Fishing Boat. Plywood generally doesn’t like being bent in two dimensions and tends to twist, opening up gaps. Of course anything is possible but the easiest solutions are usually the best.

Colin

Tim Rowe
                                Participant
                                  @timrowe83142

Hello Mick

Just to add a rider.  I have seen from your photos that most of your boats are hard chine in which case plywood is an excellent choice.  Wrapping plywood around a single curve works well and it can be twisted.

I am glad you have chosen to go fore and aft with planking.

Here in Mallorca thin plywood is very hard to get and very expensive so I tend to use hard balsa which is stocked by a hardware chain, and then coat the outside  with glass cloth and epoxy.

Tim Rowe

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hello Mick,

I like to plank with balsa as it gives you some scope for sanding to shape as Tim says, I also block the bow and stern normally with Styrofoam or balsa, It just makes the planking easier then lightweight glass cloth and resin either epoxy or water based.

One of the most satisfying parts of boat building I findDelight 14 🙂

Regards Ray

mick east
                                    Participant
                                      @mickeast46851

Hi Ray I’ve gone the traditional route with the planking and I’ve taken your advice and I’m using blocks on the stern as planking would be almost be impossible to do due to the tight curves.( I had a few oh bug#er moments with the existing planks) .I’m using huen pine as box / elm is just about impossible to get  or is hideously expensive over here but huen pine requires a lot of steaming to achieve a a nice twist with out breaking hence the oh bug#er moments. Now I’ve got the sanding and fairing to do which I find quite therapeutic .20240410_11503920240410_11503920240410_115011

mick east
                                      Participant
                                        @mickeast46851

As you all can see I’ve only planked to the deck level , I’m still unsure how I’m going to do the planking above the deck . I’ll probably just carry on with the same but I’m going to try one piece of 3mm ply for a smoother inner bulwark look see how it goes. I made a basic error of not realising that the profiles were the outer lines of the hull and I didn’t make allowances for the thickness of the planking , hopefully it won’t interfere with the build to much

James Hill 5
                                        Participant
                                          @jameshill5

Hello Mick.

On my current attempt at building a Puffer, I did a similar thing to what you’re thinking and made the bulwark in one piece and then planked up to it. seems to have worked ok.

Following your build with interest.

Jim.

mick east
                                          Participant
                                            @mickeast46851

As my old grandfather used to say you can’t have to many clamps20240413_11032720240413_110345

mick east
                                            Participant
                                              @mickeast46851

Clamps removed and stern blocks roughly shaped. Next a coat of FG resin and then sanding ,filling more sanding, filling , more sanding and more filling until I’m happy with the finish.looking good though happy with the outcome so far. 20240416_105534

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hello Mick,

Looks a lovely job 🙂 planking the hull is the part of building I enjoy the most !!

Good to see your a model railway man, as am I 🙂 Last week I was in Towyn West Wales on the Talyllyn Railway for a ride, stunning scenery and has given me inspiration for my 009 layouts in the future.

Best  Ray

mick east
                                                Participant
                                                  @mickeast46851

Thanks Ray yes I’ve been a model railway enthusiast for years mainly steam and pre british rail. I also dabbled in air modeling ( good at building lousy at flying ) till it became to expensive crashing on a regular basis . I’m like yourself fascinated by the way a hull comes together as the build progresses.  To be honest I’m pretty pleased with the build so far mainly because its my  first scratch build plank on frame . I’ve done a few billings kits plank and frame but a scratch building is a whole new experience.

Richard Simpson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful hull.  It still fascinates me the way complex compound curves can be generated by laying on straight flat strips of wood.  For a first time job that is really superb.  I’ve never been brave enough to try it, I guess my interest is still with the engines.

James Hill 5
                                                    Participant
                                                      @jameshill5

Very nice shape to the hull. Going to be a good looking model when complete. Great planking as well. I’ve tried both diagonal and straight, diagonal being the first, and I made some dreadful mistakes that any decent modeller would have winced at, but you learn as you go along. My latest attempt is staight.

Enjoy the build………..Jim.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)