61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Advert

61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Home Forums Scratch build 61′ Barnett class lifeboat

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 648 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp
      Most of the larger items have now been glued onto the boats decks "outside the cabins, and in my haste I nearly glued the hand turned windlass on to the Princess Mary, before I realised I hadn't wound the tow line on to the drum.
      That has now been done, and beleive it or not, there is nearly 10 feet of "rope" woumd on to the drum, a scvale length of 120 feet of tow rope.
      I can now go out and glue it in place atop of the engine casing.
      I also reamed out two holes for under the steering gear boxes, to allow the servo wires for the rudder to pass inside of the hull ready for plugging in to the ESC.
      img_6708.jpg
      img_6706.jpg
      img_6707.jpg
      img_6712.jpg
      img_6711.jpg
      img_6713.jpg
      Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Keep up the good work mate

I must say the twin funnel boat has an air of H G Wells "War of the Worlds" about her !! they must have been very smokey engines to need them that tall ?

All the best

Ray

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

Have finished planing the wooden blanks from square to a square and round mast, keeping the "foot" square and the tapering shaft to a decreasing round at the top of the blank to make a tapered mast!

All of this was done in minature just as a real mast would have been done using planes and most probably also an Adze to start the tapering at the top end.

An Adze is a wonderful tool and as a 16/17 year old my father who worked for the local council as an auditer got me a summer job working for a crew maintaining the integrity of the sea walls and wooden breakwaters on Fleetwood beach.

After a little training by the foreman of the crew, I learned and became very proficient in [believe it or not] adze cutting pointed ends on the 14' long 15" square Greenheart groins that are piled into the sand once a steal tip to the top AND bottom pointed ends of the groin was cut, heated into a ring and welded into a circular flange to take the pounding of the piler!

As a usual after a little practice, I could cut 2 points a day, but on just one occassion, I managed to cut 3 points on the tough hard Greenheart…………and I never cut myself once with an adze.

But no wonder my shoulders and back are knackered in my old age from swinging those viscious tools, lol.

Anyway, back from reminissing of my youth, back to the masts.

Once sanded, I cut slots in to the mast heads for the pulley wheels for hoisting the mast spars.

Then it was a case of making the mast rings for the rigging. In the past I have turned these from brass blanks, but decided that for these 3 masts, I wasn't going to waste my time on such a laborious tasK for two reasons, AS probably none of the boats they would be going on would carry a sail, [I learned the hard way with my Liverpool class last summer], and decided to make all four rings on each mast from brown 140 gm card at 5mm width glued and wound around the wooden masts.

Once set, varnished and sealed with cellulose laquer they will become hard enough to hold brass rings and belaying pins.

Tomorrow I'll varnish and laquer the masts before drilling fot the belay rings and the fixing rods for the tabernacles.

img_6724.jpg

img_6725.jpg

img_6726.jpg

img_6727.jpg

img_6728.jpg

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

Both main masts and the ensign mast at the stern look well in there places, although the main masts need detailing with rigging loops and the tabernacles need drilling for fixing both the masts and fixing and screwing to the decks.

The rest of the fittings are going on the boats well.

Next to be fitted are to be the interior gratings and steering possitions to the Princess Mary, and the binacle [no gratings] on the William and Kate Johnston for some reason………but as she was the prototype with many changes to the following 3 boats, perhaps it was an afterthought on the other 3 boats.

img_6737.jpg

img_6731.jpg

img_6732.jpg

img_6734.jpg

img_6735.jpg

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

Time marches on, and so do I have too.

This afternoon I cut in to and modified the central rear grating so that the compass stand, binacle and rear back rests for the helm and coxs'n can rest against in rough weather. That went well, and so removed the cabin after dry fitting The front gratings in place, to make sure that everythiong would fit…yes.

And so all the gratings were glued in place.And the raised platform was then also glued in place.

Once that had been achieved I cut the 2.4mm brazing rod that i was going to use for the steering shaft and marked one by one the possition of the holes to feed the rod through, enlarging each hole a little so that a grommit [used in leather working] could be inserted as a bearing for the shaft.

Once all lined up it was just a job of fitting all insequential position and super gluing in to place.

This was a two wheel steering shaft, where as the the William and Kate Johnston was just a single wheel at the aft end of the boat coming straight from the steering box.

img_6738.jpg

img_6740.jpg

img_6744.jpg

img_6745.jpg

img_6746.jpg

img_6747.jpg

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp
                And the single wheel has now been added to the RNLB William and Kate Johnston, adding function to the model.

Where would she be without a ships wheel.

img_6748.jpg

img_6749.jpg

img_6750.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 24/06/2023 20:56:57

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

Another job off the list……..

the fitting of the two Navigation lamp stands and boxes for the William and Kate Johnston and the support stanchions for the survivors jumping nets have been added to the engine casings of both boats.

img_6757.jpg

img_6758.jpg

img_6759.jpg

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

And then it was a job of drilling the pilot and then main holes for the fixing of the brass tabernackles to the decks and the cross section holes for fixing and holding the masts in possition.

Always great to have the correct tools to do the job properly and with ease.

img_6762.jpg

img_6763.jpg

img_6764.jpg

img_6765.jpg

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp
                      Some months ago I bought a "sock bag" off eBay to do for the jump net on my boat, as it was made from cotton instead of sinthetic materials and also had square mesh as one would expect from netting that old, rather than the hexagonal netting seen these days.
                      LUCKILY, the bag I bought when opened up is just enough to do both boats, although the netting for the William and Kate Johnston has a surface area larger than that of the Princess Mary.
                      I used the white card template to gain the size of each net.
                      As the material is cotton and woven, I had to make sure it doesn't frey at the edges, and so placed the netting on a sheet of waxed baking paper and then ran a beading of super glue around the perimeter of each net.
                      Just hope it works as hoped for and the net stays in completeness on its journies……Would hate to loose a survivor overboard.
                      Once the superglue has cured, I will trim around the perimeter of the net, and set about fitting to the boats.
                      img_6768.jpg
                      img_6770.jpg
                      img_6771.jpg
                      neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp
                        After coming back from New Brighton model boating lake this afternoon, I set about fitting the first of the jump nets, the smaller one to the Princess Mary.
                        First job was to stay up tight the four support davits that hold the four corners of the net.
                        Once tight and imovable, I could then tie up the corners of the net until that was tight to, and it turned out better than I thoght it would, and very pleased with the result.
                        Hope the second net turns out just as good………….here goes.
                        More threads than an Agatha Christie novel.
                        img_6779.jpg
                        img_6780.jpg
                        img_6781.jpg
                        img_6787.jpg
                        neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

And the jump net has been fitted to the first of the 60' Barnetts, the William and Kate Johnston.

In all photos that I have of these boats, the W & K J., the first of the breed has her jump net higher than the other threre boats, including the Princess Mary.

The two sisters are looking great together.

img_6788.jpg

img_6789.jpg

img_6790.jpg

img_6791.jpg

img_6793.jpg

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

You learn something new every day. I have never heard of jump nets used in this way. Do you know if they were ever used in anger?

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp
                              Posted by Richard Simpson on 29/06/2023 09:08:57:

You learn something new every day. I have never heard of jump nets used in this way. Do you know if they were ever used in anger?

they were the only lifeboat class in this country that ever used them Richard, but apparently in the european countries, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Norway/Sweeden and such Baltic countries their SAR services did use them..

Also there are contemprary paintings of our own four boats actually using them with back up written descriptions of the rescues whilst coming along side a casualty.

One of my original photos shows the Princess Mary rigged with her jump net, so seems likely they kept it rigged as a permenant fixture.

This is a conteprary photo of the first of the Barnetts taken on her trials in 1923 after her launce.

lifeboat_william_and_kate_johnston_1923.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 29/06/2023 09:51:07

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

Seem to have been busy most of the day but late this afternoon, after searching for a single engine mount in both my workshop and on eBay I couldn't find one to match the one I have for the two motors that Martin Kinghoward gave me last year.

And so, I took the decision to rob the two MFA 800's out of the Waveney lifeboat I still have to build, as they are slow reving at 5400rpm max on the 12v I will be using.

I made two new wooden supports to hold them to the deck, and mounted the toothed pullies on to the drive ends of the motors and the prop shaft ends, for the belt drives.

I then mixed some Isopon P40 and mounted the motors plus drive belts on to the inside of the hull, making sure that there was some tightness on the belts whilst the P40 set.

I test drove the motors to make sure the motors/shafts worked smoothly and freely on completion.

I nereded to do this at this point as I am getting close to finish and didn't wish to leave it until after I had fitted the deck stanchions for fear of breaking them as I leant over to fit the motors.

img_6800.jpg

img_6802.jpg

img_6804.jpg

img_6805.jpg

img_6807.jpg

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp
                                  Needed some belaying pins for the main mast rigging……and as my laithe is out of commission, purely because there is so much crap piled on top of it to turn any out of thin brass rod, I came up with the idea of mixing some white milliput [the hardest] and rolling them into the shape of some, with an old wooden one as a guide.
                                  I will put those into a split mould now and then make the mould tomorrow and cast some whilst casting some bow puddings for the three boats.
                                  img_6809.jpg
                                  img_6810.jpg
                                  img_6811.jpg
                                  neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp

Another small but important job to finish off the boats is to fit a bow "pudding"……a buffer that protects the bow from collission against any hard surface, including a casualty.

I have numerous moulds for both bow and stern puddings for different lifeboats I have built in the past, including 45'6" and 46' Watsons, the 41' Watson Ann Letitia Russell and the 51' Barnett class boats, but I didn't have a mould or "pudding" for the "new" 61'Barnett class that I am building!

At this point I decided to rectify this and make a new mould for a pudding to fit the bow of the boat.

I took out a mould that would fit, size wise, and cast in polyurethane resin a pudding. However, knowing that the Barnet has a sharper bow to the existing pudding, i kept an eye on the residual resin in the mixing tup, and when it reached the stage where it was no longer liquid, BUT still rubbery in cosistancy, i took the moulding out and held it tight up against the Barnetts bow untill it finally hardened to the shape of the bow.

It was then taped in place to cure for a couple of hours, before I remove it and put it into a new mould specifically for the 61' Barnett class boat.

img_6812.jpg

img_6813.jpg

img_6815.jpg

img_6816.jpg

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp
                                      The "pudding" turned out well, and stayed in the new shape that I had hoped it would, and has now been placed into a split mould, made from Lego bricks given to me a number of years ago by a very kind friend.
                                      It certainly was a change in shape from the original that it came from.
                                      Couldn't count the number of moulds for models that those bricks have made
                                      img_6818.jpg
                                      img_6820.jpg
                                      img_6822.jpg
                                      img_6823.jpg
                                      Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

I never knew they were called puddings, or is that the Scouse term!

I like to use woven ones as they actually do the job of the real ones and protect the stem and you can tie them up realistically. I also like the way they naturally weather with dirty water over time! I found a lady on Ebay who was happy to weave one to my specific dimensions for a very reasonable price so used her.

I like the way you bend yours before the resin has set. Neat idea.

16-10-21-03wide-a-wakebuild173.jpg

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

Apparently they have been called that by lifeboat men for countless , Richard, and as a past narrow boat owner we canal folk also used to call them puddings.

When i had a wife, long ago, she would crochet covers for me to stuff, and then stitch up………but as i have no idea how to crochet, they now come as resin cast, lol.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp
                                            other job done.

I cast 2 puddings for the bows of the two boats I'm building and an extra one for the 3rd boat cast last year!

I also cast enough belaying pins for the 3 boats, and a couple of extra bits for the 2nd Princess Mary, as the William and Kate Johnston didn't appear to have them, a hand bilge portable pump and an oil pump.

The puddings were painted and will be fitted permanently tomorrow.

img_6824.jpg

img_6827.jpg

img_6828.jpg

img_6829.jpg

img_6830.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 03/07/2023 00:15:41

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp
                                              OHHH how I love some pickled tabernacles and a side of life rings for my tea. The smell of that pure white boiling vinegar was too much, NOT TO forget

Remembering my old days teaching kids metalwork and the art of silver soldering larger pieces of brass rather than just brass or copper rod, it brought back the smells of "pickling" the verdigree left from the soldering, and no wonder I took up camping in the Lakes District on the week ends when my mother would get out her large pickling pan to make a batch of chutney……..was my excuse to sling my tent and gear on the back of my 650 cc Rocket Goldie and bugger off for the weekend.

However, pickling brass in white vinigar and boiling for 30 minutes or so, is the perfect way of cleaning off brass parts ready for painting, and whilst waiting for that process I painted my onion rings, ooops sorry, life rings.

I can now offer up the 3 masts to the tabernacles and drill the masts before painting the brass work.

img_6831.jpg

img_6832.jpg

img_6833.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 03/07/2023 19:01:30

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

I have now got just 4 actions to take on the two models.

The mast needs rigging.

The stanchions need fitting and rigging.

The grab ropes and their brackets need rigging.

And the white waterlining tape needs regluing [ I have a plan, lol]

Finally I can name and station both boats!

For during the last 3-4 days I have fitted all remaining fittings to the two boats, and I can finally say I am reaching the end of a marathon build, of probably so far the only two model 61' Barnett class lifeboats that will actually sail, in the world…………never ever seen another in sailing condition, as the only other model I have ever seen of one of the class is the Padstow lifeboat in a show case!

I feel quite pleased that I DID actually chose to build them!

img_6865.jpg

img_6866.jpg

img_6867.jpg

img_6868.jpg

img_6869.jpg

img_6871.jpg

img_6872.jpg

img_6874.jpg

img_6875.jpg

img_6876.jpg

img_6877.jpg

img_6878.jpg

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp
                                                  3 HOURS WORK, and the main mast of Ian Bennett's RNLB William and Kate Johnston has been rigged. It still needs the white thread staining but that can be done once the mast for the RNLB Princess Mary has also been rigged.
                                                  Starting with the brass tabernacle which was drilled to lever the mast although [with jumbing nets rigged,] they will be static and fixed in place by way of the rigging, and the bases drilled to take screws, the tabernacles were glued and screwed a few days ago using 20 minute curing epoxy and left to set after screwing to the decks
                                                  The masts were then offered up, marked and drilled ready for the axle pin and the lower locking pin. Chain will be added to the locking pin after the 2nd mast is rigged to stop the pin from coming loose and being lost overboard whilst on service.
                                                  Next was to rig the bottle screws to the "timber" blocks on both the single and double blocks, before setting the fore stays in place as the first part of rigging. Doing the fore stays first was to hold the mast in place, before rigging them across beam which followed on!
                                                  AT EACH STAGE, all knots were set so that they wouldn't come loose or undone, with a blob of cyano.
                                                  The mast, almost done except for the "steaming" and riding lamp which will be added to both masts once in place, along with the lamps.
                                                  Then some belaying pins were added to the belt on the mast.
                                                  Finally for today the bow pudding was set in place with cotton strapping tied in between the two loops each side.
                                                  neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

img_6889.jpg

img_6884.jpg

img_6885.jpg

img_6886.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Hats off to you mate, what lovely models they are !! so many bespoke fitting ! you will be very proud of them

I'm just about to start cutting wood again so I must be getting my Mojo back !!

Kind Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 648 total)