Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Advert

Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Home Forums Scratch build Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi All

These are interesting facts about the Fairey construction methods I expect there will be mini Autoclaves springing up all round the country now 😊 DM ??img_20200415_094721.jpg

Not the universal building jig that Paul T was building, but a simple way of positioning the hull for better access for planking with G cramp, simple but effective ??

Regards Ray

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782

Mini-autoclave? Wouldn't know where to start, Ray, so no need to get steamed up about it…

Anyroad up, m'duck, I reckon that after six Huntsmen, four Huntresses, two Swordsmen and 48 years I've just about got the hang of building Fairey hulls. I like the G-cramp idea. It's often the simplest things which solve the most awkward problems – in this case a lot of bending down and standing up again!

In spite of all the fancy work-holding gizmos on the market I still use the same old Bulldog clip for holding PCBs while soldering them up that I reached for in 2007.

Dave M

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

The guys in my boat building workshop have been going for it as usual, and they tell me Mr P38 filled maybe required 😀

Still a relief to see to see a boat shape emerging, soft balsa block for the bow infill needs some whittling yet 😃,

May tissue & dope this one.img_20200416_101402.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

img_20200417_095738.jpgHi All,

Well Osprey has lift off 😀 quite pleased with the shape, more of a displacement hull than a go fast job, but 6-7 knots round the bay will be fine, now thinking about hiding the nicad packs under the side bench seats, always an issue with an open cockpit boat..

Regards Rayimg_20200417_095752.jpg

Dave Milbourn
            Participant
              @davemilbourn48782

Ray

Would there not be a central engine housing where you could hide them? Failing that, perhaps under the cockpit floor like the Mid-West Boothbay Lobster Boat?

image 07.jpg

Dave M

Eddie Lancaster
              Participant
                @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, looking good, to be honest I wasn’t at all sure about it’s appeal to begin with, but now it’s upright and on its stand I have changed my mind, it reminds me of the boat, full size. built by my Father back in the 60’s, a river cruiser.

BTW Dave I will be ordering the Fairey Huntsman 1/16 scale kit next week to keep me busy over the next three weeks of lockdown.

Best wishes to all.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 17/04/2020 13:16:28

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 17/04/2020 13:19:21

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

BTW Dave I will be ordering the Fairey Huntsman 1/16 scale kit next week to keep me busy over the next three weeks of lockdown.

Good man! yes

DM

Eddie Lancaster
                  Participant
                    @eddielancaster

I thought you would approve.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Dave

Yes I could put batteries under the cockpit floor, the rudder servo will go under the seat across the stern.

Eddie,

You Huntsman fans & builders will have to form an association ?? They are so popular I'm beginning to wish I hadn't sold my H31, still I could be tempted to build the bigger one 😀

Regards Ray

Dave Milbourn
                      Participant
                        @davemilbourn48782

Ray

Choose your scale, m'duck. I can re-size the drawings in a jiffy with AutoCAD.

Now, back to Osprey….

Dave M

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Looking really good Ray. You'll be painting it soon!

Chris

FABS – Fairey Appreciation & Builders Society!

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

img_20200418_170041.jpgHi All,

Before I get carried away with the deck & superstructure such as it is ! I have Knocked up a brass rudder & brought out my 240 watt soldering iron great for soft soldering slightly larger jobs before you need a blow torch 😀 I have a selection of low tech devices old as the hills but aren't we all 😄

I use an old fire brick to work on always useful, in my younger days we used a sheet of asbestos mat at school !!

Regards Rayimg_20200418_165444.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/04/2020 19:34:40

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Osprey has made it out into daylight with the cockpit floor, servo & engine casing in place all removable, I will be putting all the electrics up the front, so a large deck hatch is required, so I may end up with ballast at the stern to keep the prop in the water 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200419_101037.jpg

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Forgot to mention Ray. That rudder looks very small for a slow speed craft?

Looking good.

Chris

Dave Milbourn
                                Participant
                                  @davemilbourn48782
                                  Posted by Chris Fellows on 19/04/2020 12:35:21:

Forgot to mention Ray. That rudder looks very small for a slow speed craft?

Looking good.

Chris

I had a similar thought about the prop, too. The model's a great shape, though.

I have a Henley-Solon iron that looks a lot like that one, but I don't think it's 240W. I can't remember when was the last time I used it.

DM

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

I have an iron like that as well ! Posh, fire brick..I use an ordinary brick (if at all)

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

The choice of prop 25mm & other bits are from the spare's box so far, as long as it moves I'll be happy 😀

The fire bricks I have came from a night storage heater.

I'm Furloughed from work now so happy building time ahead, rather like practicing for retirement 😀 we must be saving money my car hasn't been out for 2 weeks now !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi All,

A milestone reached with this one today, foredeck on with a removable hatch, there is a knack to building them in situ and you hope after the glue sets it is still removable !! Old brushed 600 motor installed for luck 😀 good old plodding power, I have a similar set up in my 30" Silver Mist it's one of my favourite boats on the water.

Regards Ray

Pictures to follow I forgot to put them in the album !!

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

img_20200420_165053.jpgimg_20200420_165158.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

Very neat Ray. Good to see an engine cover with a motor actually under it!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Tonight made a start on the wheelhouse or should it be called a cuddy ? Hard graft cutting out the window openings in the sides of 1/16" ply, have arranged a sort of jig to set the sides at the right angle, I will be building the roof and front screens in situ to make sure it fits 😀

USA night on the railway tonight !!

regards Rayimg_20200421_203414.jpg

Banjoman
                                              Participant
                                                @banjoman

Coming along very nicely indeed, Ray!

Mattias

redpmg
                                                Participant
                                                  @redpmg

Looking good Ray – very impressed with it – seems a quick build.

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

img_20200422_164648.jpgHi Mattias & Peter,

Yes I'm pleased with the progress i'm furloughed from work at the moment so plenty of time is available 😀

Having a tidy up and under the bench found my first published design Margoletta a freelance Norfolk Broads cabin cruiser, a free plan in Model Boats. June 2005, how time floats by, I must get her on the water this year when we are let out 😀I

Regards Rayimg_20200422_172122.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                                                    Participant
                                                      @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, it does look good and will be a nice stable mate for the broads cruiser.

I have just had my Fairey Huntsman kit delivered today so will not be short of something to do, my friend likes the look of the kit so much that he has now got one on ordersmiley.

I will not be starting my build until I have finished the Zulu.

I hope Dave M enjoys the commission and spends it wisely.

Regards.

Eddie

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)