Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Advert

Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Home Forums Scratch build Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

img_20200328_152024.jpgHi All,

As we are confined to barracks and needing insperation, my lovely wife is an avid jigsaw puzzler, and her latest one has an idyllic scene with a brightly coloured boat at the quay just caught my eye, and thinking of happy times to come in the summer !! I thought it was the next project after The Cigarette at Christmas, so here goes, all comments welcome 😀 at the moment I'm thinking ply keel, foam board bulkheads and balsa/glass cloth skins.

Regards Rayimg_20200329_173958.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Fictional Day Boat

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

The boat in the picture looks a lot larger when you see the smaller one behind !!!!

Harry Smith

PS Tasmania is in totally lockdown (FORTRESS TASMANIA), all people coming in go straight to government isolation centres( 5 five hotels) for 14 days.

People over 70 are required to stay at home, only out for food and medical supplies.

Oh well, more workshop time.

Hope I have enough building supplies !!!!

redpmg
          Participant
            @redpmg

Hi Ray .

Nice project there – are you going to use a beamy hull similar to the short version of the Maine Lobster Boats ?.

Tim Rowe 1
            Participant
              @timrowe1

Nice subject Ray.

Reminds me a bit of Poole Quay.

Good question about the beam. For me I would keep it launch-like with a moderate beam and easily driven hull.

The four sections of the screen look a bit odd and I woinder if just a simple split screen would look better. Would definitely be on my list to build if you hadn't already given me enough to do!! wink

Like the paper drawing as well.

Galileo is at last in paint and varnish.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Tim & Peter,

Well I'm thinking at 28" long 9 ' 6" would look about right ?

regards Ray

redpmg
                Participant
                  @redpmg

Sounds good Ray – that would probably be around 1/12 scale so you can use doll house items on board – eg cold drink cans,. bottles . food baskets etc for the pax……… gives the boat life – but i would stick to the4 windows – gives it character !

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Don’t forget this is an artists impression and therefore not necessarily depicting a particular vessel…

So saying, it would be nice to recreate the boat as seen in the puzzle, warts and all. It would be nice to display the finished boat propped up alongside a mock jetty with a few figures and a picture of the puzzle ?

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Yes a good looking boat, which I guess could equally be a day fishing boat, My eye was caught by the general lines, I'm currently drafting up some fullsize drawings to build too

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Out with my super mdf drawing board in the conservatory for good light, scaling up from my scaled sketch to the 1" to the foot, this will need a population/crowdimg_20200331_185223.jpg of figures to sit in the back of the boat, next stage will be to complete the plan view, I went for 9" beam by 28" long should make a handy size model, draft the bulkheads then we should be able to get building 😀

regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                        Participant
                          @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I seemed to have made a safe return from cyberspace and now back on the forum in my original guise.

Now motivated to get back to posting and following this one with interest.

Best regards

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

img_20200402_163920.jpgHi Tim,

Good to hear from the original Tim Rowe, some imposter had been making out he was you On here 😀

Glad you like latest project, it certainly got me thinking again , how I miss the office photocopier and the reproductive shop in West Malling 😕,

I'm managing to draw the bulkheads to be ply with the idea of 3/16" balsa planking, how are the yachts progressing ?

regards Rayimg_20200402_163936.jpg

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Ray – you're making a nice job of the drawings. Good to see some being drawn by hand. Interested to see how you work out the frames etc. Should be a nice little boat and a manageable size.

Tim – good to hear from you again, whichever persona you are using! Be good to see how Galileo is looking now.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

img_20200411_094507.jpgHi All,

With the bulkhead s drafted the drawings spray mount glued into cereal box card and cut out to make a set of templates to draw round onto some 1/8" thick ply salvaged from a surplus chest of draws 😀

this afternoon a couple of hours on the Burgess bandsaw and we have a set of bulkhead s to mount on the building board. Not going out has major effect on productivity 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200411_203217.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

You're not joking are you Ray, you certainly don't hang around!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Well what else is there to do ? The days seem to be 28 hours long at the moment 😀

Nice to be able to use some mahogany strip for the stem with it's fluted taper up to the top of the post, this timber has been in store since the late 70's well seasoned 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200412_112237.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

img_20200412_195609.jpgHi All,

Well another day in paradise 😀 frames erected on the building board, only one completely the wrong shape ! Redrawn and hey presto ! And with a little juggling the keel installed on .

Tomorrow obeche Chines & gunwhales & onto the balsa planking.

Regards Rayimg_20200412_200543.jpg

Banjoman
                                      Participant
                                        @banjoman

A very nice prototype, Ray, and lots of full-speed-ahead progress. And I really like the shaped stem post!

Mattias

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Mattias,

Glad your getting back into the boat building, we must keep busy in these strange times, first time most of us have been directed by the government to live in a certain way, my mum who is 87 days it's a similar atmosphere in some ways to the war.

We will really appreciate getting to the lake when This is over 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200413_145540.jpg

Banjoman
                                          Participant
                                            @banjoman

Hello Ray,

That we will indeed – and maybe popping down to the pub (we've a rather nice one here in the village), and going to some other sort of shop than one selling food or pharmaceuticals … But yes, indeed: pond-ho, 'twill be!

Mattias

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Today we are planking the hull with 1/8" X 3 /8" strips cut from 4" wide sheet with my long steel rule, some of the planks are taking a little coaxing to take the curve at the bow, but where's there a will there's a way 😀I

I thought the slightly older boats would have been planked before plywood became available for single chineimg_20200414_093809.jpg boats.

regards Ray

Dave Milbourn
                                              Participant
                                                @davemilbourn48782

I thought the slightly older boats would have been planked before plywood became available for single chine

I imagine you're right, Ray, However there's something almost magical about seeing the shape slowly appear as you add each plank. I've just tried double-diagonal planking for the first time and I have to say that the result is fantastic. I even managed to impress myself!

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 14/04/2020 15:31:12

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 14/04/2020 15:31:46

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi Dave,

Yes the double diagonal planking is good for getting the right shapes on compound curves

My MTB 71 had 280 separate planks 1/2" wide, but obviously not to scale!!

Were the Fairey Marine boats all cold moulded from strip wood over a former?

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                                                  Participant
                                                    @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

The Fairey boats were hot moulded and that is what made them so special. The strip veneers, rather than planks were laid up with thermosetting adhesives, compressed and cured in autoclaves.

It was a freak high tide that flooded to workshops to a higher level than frequently experienced before and the water destroyed the autoclaves.

That was effectively the end of wooden Fairey construction. A tragedy really.

Planking generally is good for achieving compound curves.

Great pace as usual.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

Tim – I didn't know the autoclaves had been destroyed. Fairey were moving towards GRP anyway for cost reasons and used a Huntsman 31 hull as the plug for the Spearfish. The early examples stuck with the timber superstructures though and the contrast with the GRP hull made for an attractive boat.

I picked up an MFA Spearfish kit a little while ago and I'm going to discard the superstructure (which is a bit semi-scale anyway) and build in timber.

Ray – coming along nicely now. Harry will be able to advise you on the motor!!

Chris

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)