MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Advert

MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Home Forums Scratch build MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

As Ray says timber is always well packaged from SLEC so no problem there. Problem for me though is that I have to make up a sizeable order to make the postage viable and my work room is like an offshoot of SLEC! The number of times I think I've thought of everything I need and then find I haven't! I need to put another order together really but have spent a lot recently, not just on timber.

Mind you the Winter Fuel Allowance is payable soon, or as I call it the Winter Wine Allowance! smiley

Chris

Advert
      Dave Harrison
      Participant
        @daveharrison24862

I may have built some of your designs Ray, I used to love building from the free plans in RCM&E there have been some amazing models designed and published over the years. Tony,s 40 inch BAE hawk fun jet powered with an OS 25fsr and a tuned pipe was probably my all time favourite !

Sadly I don't fly models now as most of my local fields / clubs have become very restrictive around IC models.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Dave,

Yes I had Tony's Westfield Tornado with a OS 25fsr looked brilliant in a banked turn on the horizon

I will keep all my IC engines for the future because people are just starting to realise there isn't a magic battery tree, something which is being over looked by the electric car lobby in my view

When was the last time we saw a silent Spitfire or Hurricane ? it's not natural !!

Keep us posted with your Bulk Carrier progress

Regards Ray

David Marks 2
          Participant
            @davidmarks2

Regarding SLEC – Order for some 1/32 ply, strip-wood and some adhesives placed Sunday evening and to my amazement package arrived mid morning on Wednesday. I have purchased ply many times before and this time the ply was so snug in its packaging, I had to carefully cut all the packaging away to release the ply. Service and standard of packaging as always, very good.

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

Some progress with the superstructure and the rear shelter framework, superglue & luck holding it together , looking forward to the funnel but wary about how much the handrail stanchions will cost

All the best from Ray (Tier 3 Kent) from Thursday !!old rear shelter nov.jpg

David Marks 2
              Participant
                @davidmarks2

Ray – Looking at the images of covering the hull with glass cloth. Was the covering added as one piece or two i.e. port and starboard? I am about to try for the first time covering a hull in cloth (1.0 oz, plus Aeropoxy). Slightly more complex as it is a catamaran hull so the cloth will need to be added in several pieces. Regards – David Marks

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi David,

The cloth was in 2 strips and wetted with the water based resin from the keel, working my way down the topsides all round equally, you will need to keep the tension on the cloth towards the bows to prevent wrinkles. What material are the hulls on your cat made from ? I use the waterbased resin as you are not in such a rush

Regards Ray

David Marks 2
                  Participant
                    @davidmarks2

Ray – The hulls are 1/16 birch ply. Each hull is split into three distinct areas which (rightly or wrongly) I term the Upper, Middle and Lower Chines, so there is a possibility I could cover each area separately. The outer faces of each hull also have two substantial Rubbing Strips to contend with.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi David,

Well your cat will be bullet proof with glass cloth over ply Good luck, any photos ??

Hi All

Well the big parts of the superstructure are coming on with the funnel & exhaust pipes and the flying bridge screen, laminated with 1/64" ply over a former, with the nav lights inset just to make it easier

Regards Rayold fly bridge.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Well Happy Christmas everybody, we have started early this year to cheer ourselves up !!

MV Oldenburg and this month's MB's free plan Mini Mist are having a party both being 1/48th scale, my works Christmas party is on Zoom this year and is worrying idea, drunk in charge of a laptop

Regards Rayold & mini mist dec 20.jpg

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

Oldenburg is coming on well Ray. Excellent job.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

old bow 201220.jpgHi All,

Small update on Oldenburg, she is in the paintshop to have the basic colours applied prior to the more complicated deck fittings are attempted such as the foredeck hydraulic crane and inflatable RIB etc. The superstructure parts sanding sealer, Halfords primer then Humbrol enamels using mostly matt colours for better scale effect brush applied 2 coats

Regards Rayold stern 201220.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                            Participant
                              @eddielancaster

Another great build Ray.

I may have to post my latest build, Nimbus 3, another IOM.

Eddie.

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

Nice Ray, very nice. Great interesting shape and superstructure. A good find.

Ashley

gecon
                                Participant
                                  @gecon

A really lovely little ship Ray. You'll surely be able to have it on some prominent tabletop when it's finished. For a few days at least?smiley

George

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

It is an unusual and attractive design and looks bigger than it is,

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

old crane 1.jpgHi All,

Barring the latest sad news re Paul's passing, this is a happy modelling time of year ! and this year visiting relations is out , a winning situation in my book

MS Oldenburg is progressing with the anti fouling and matt black topsides and a the hydraulic crane from a few bits and bob's from the scrap box dowel, ply brass wire, quite pleased with it should look ok from 10 feet

I found a photograph online of her stern and the first big mistake I've made is she has twin rudders as well as props, Ooops!old eventide.jpg

All the best Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 29/12/2020 11:25:53

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

You're making great progress Ray. An inspiration to us all. As for rudders.. Could you get away with fitting 2 additional fixed ones ? Maybe very slightly smaller than the operational one? If you don't tell us, we won't notice and the trout won't mind I'm sure. Irrespective, a lovely little ship.

George

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Happy New Year ! lets hope it's at least 100 times better than 2020

Well yesterday was life raft casing day, those lovely GRP moulded containers specially designed to make scratch building a chore !!

The family boom handle is now 7" shorter, and having turned the diameter down to 5/8" and added some grooves they are cut in half and 1/16" ply spacers with a margin to simulate where the 2 halves of the casing join. 2 coats of water based resin and they are ready for painting, the railway track makes a good non stick base

Regards Ray old life raft cans.jpg

ashley needham
                                          Participant
                                            @ashleyneedham69188

Nice one Ray. Good job and just as well there were only 6 !

Hate making loads of just one item. Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Ashley,

Yes it gives you an idea of what factory work must be like !!

Walrus…….. Front Cover…………. Congratulations……… Looks like it's flying to me

Howard Hughes + Spruce Goose springs to mind !!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 01/01/2021 11:13:42

ashley needham
                                              Participant
                                                @ashleyneedham69188

Flying?? Ray, thats just cresting a wave….

interesting to see the X1 sub. I have a good book on the X1, and from memory, the failings of it were mostly due to penny pinching second hand U-boat engines and other stuff making it unreliable. I believe the gunners bit was most successful, as it had a proper fire control system and the guns could be pointing at the right place as soon as they were clear of the water and fires accurately and quickly. The book wonders what might have been achieved by several of these difficult to hit powerful gun platforms in the Pacific early on…Singapore, Burma and so on. 

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 01/01/2021 11:23:06

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

old crane 2.jpgHi Ashley,

Slightly worried that the mag preview covers most of the content ? is it turning back into Model Maker Mag ?

The little crane on Oldenburg now painted, at this rate she could be complete by September

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 01/01/2021 16:10:50

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

Well the life rafts are in place, so we should be safe now

The good news is now I'm in touch with Oldenburg's Chief Engineer andold life rafts 2.jpg he has the builders drawings, maybe a bigger version next time

Anyone else building anything ?? or is it just me. (Chris & George not included)

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 04/01/2021 15:32:07

Colin Bishop
                                                      @colinbishop34627

I'm still building my 1:150 scale liner plus a Greek fishing boat but I'll put a couple of pics on a new thread.

Colin

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 95 total)