MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Advert

MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Home Forums Scratch build MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

old port side.jpgHi All,

This is my new project for the Lockdown 2, I have been producing a drawing from photographs over the last couple of weeks and now have enough drawn to start construction.

Plenty of history on the web, built in Germany around 1958 and converted at the Appledore shipyards in 1985 for her current use, home base of Bideford, we have seen her on our stays at Ilfracombe and it's about time I built a small ship she will measure 36" which I hope is a handy size, will be ply keel and balsa from there on, here goes !!

Regards Rayoldenburg drawing draft.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Ilfracombe to Lundy Island Ferry Boat

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Ray, wow, a month to build all that! smile o

nice project. Lots of interest on deck. Plan??? 😇

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 05/11/2020 17:34:27

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

old bulkskeel.jpgHi Ashley,

I'm hoping 6 months, the last lockdown I wasn't working !! Yes lots of scope with the deck details and lots of day trip people from 4 D models

Now she is set up on the building board looking ship shape.

Regards Rayold stern view.jpg

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Certainly different to your other builds, unlike mine! smiley

Good stuff.

Will be interested to see how you do the balsa planking.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

old port planking.jpgHi All,

Good weekend planking Oldenburg, using 1/8" balsa, as balsa in demand I will use Styro foam for the front & rear blocks carved and sanded to shape, then light weight glass cloth and water based resin on the outside & polyester resin inside if I can find some in the shed  Regards Rayold stbd planking.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 09/11/2020 10:11:09

Tim Cooper
                Participant
                  @timcooper90034

Ray

When you say Styrofoam for the blocks what type do you mean? We have had builders here for 3 months and have left some offcuts of a cream coloured insulation foam with aluminium foil on one side. Don't need any at the moment just thinking of putting some in the shed for future use.

Tim

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Tim,

For maybe the last 20 years aeromodeller's have been using Bluefoam, which was manufactured by DOW chemicals known as Floor or Roofmate, brilliant stuff carves and sands to a fine finish but has become increasingly hard to get as they may have stopped making it, same issue with Depron

The insulation you have may work ? but I bought some from Wickes and is not the same texture or workability.

I bought grey Styrofoam from 4 D models in London and will be using that for Oldenburg.

Try a trial with your insulation and see how it goes, I have used similar but it seemed to tear?

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

The builders stuff is great if you are making a loch ness monster and slapping on the fibreglass ,but it is too soft really for modelling in small amounts.

Blue styrofoam used to be light blue, but the larger/thicker bits seem to be grey now and slightly less dense but it’s still ok. Use a sharp knife to carve, and rough sandpaper but with not too much pressure to shape.

Ray. When you have finished that one on Friday, what’s next??? 🤔

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 09/11/2020 15:45:09

Edited By ashley needham on 09/11/2020 15:46:12

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Ashley,

You know how I like to keep busy

I may have a return to steam engine building after this batch of boats are complete, but no real rush with Oldenburg, the superstructure will be the challenge I think.

Here one the grey foam bow blocks in place, quite a bit of filling required to the planking but that's the down side of relatively thin balsa planks but they do bend easier

Regards Rayold foam bow block.jpg

Tim Cooper
                        Participant
                          @timcooper90034

Ray / Ashley

Had a quick play with the insulation foam. It cuts easily and files or sands very easily. Lots of dust. But very soft or am I just used to wood or plastic? Ever easy to dent even with finger.

Tim

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Tim. It is very soft, but not when covered in resin or fibreglass/resin!!

Ashley

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

i like that, Ray……..a nice subject with plenty of scope for "busy" detailing.

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

old glass cloth.jpgHi Neil,

Thanks Neil, I find it's good to have a boat at each stage, so with 3 on the go I can have a change when I get bored or hit a problem

Here is the latest stage photos after some lightweight filler to cover the worst of the planking, I only managed to get bulkhead 3 the wrong shape and had to do some packing out, on with the glass cloth and water based resin, 5 coats later she is ready to be released from the board tomorrow so making a stand now.

Keep safe only 3 weeks before the pubs re-open

Regards Rayold resin.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Oldenburg, now we have a hull now the fun begins

Anybody else building at the moment ?? Except the usual suspects

Regards Rayold hull & stand.jpg

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Swift work Ray, but as you say, that`s really the easy bit!

Currently umming arring over my next project. Its time to cut that first section of ply….and I am scared!!! beerit could all go horribly wrong.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Evening All,

Lets get back to some boat buIding, Totally agree with Richard & Tim BTW regarding the mag

Thirteen is an un-lucky number anyway.old starb bow.jpg

Disaster has struck !! how could I run out of my favourite 1/32" ply when we need some decks

Better get in touch with SLEC for a shipment !!

Regards Ray

Steven S. 1
                                      Participant
                                        @stevens-1

Hi Ray – yes I am building a Murray River Drogher. I came across some photos on the internet, but couldn't find any plans so it is my own design. The hull is done and the drivetrain has been sorted. I'm cutting strips now for deck planking. It's keeping me busy during the lockdown.

history 1.jpg

drogher 3 view.jpg

drogher front quarter.jpg

electronics.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Steven,

That looks like a great project I should think it will be fast with those massive paddle wheels ! it's very nice to see something different being built, I hope you keep us posted.

I will build a paddle boat some day I have a small re-printed book of a variety of stern wheelers built by The Marine Iron Works of Chicago, they are brilliant subjects for a steam plant with their long stroke engines. I will post some pictures of them when I find the book

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

old motors.jpgHi All,

The 2 surplus brand new 400 brushed motors found up the loft are nearly in place, they were originally destined for a B17 Flying Fortress but flying has moved onto brushless these days

The big investment these days are the 10" stern tubes & 30mm brass props so £56.00 later the engine room is installed, motors in balsa cradles with a dowel & elastic band to retain.

Ordered some ply from SLEC last week the good news is there is a container of balsa wood making it's way to the UK will keep the aeromodeller's amonst us happy…

Regards Rayold props.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi All,

The new ply consignment arrived from SLEC so we are back in business with the decks Litho plate aluminium round the bow makes it look thin enough to be steel I hope.

Regards Rayold decks.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Paint the bottom green and call it Kermit! laugh

Making good progress as usual.

Chris

Colin Bishop
                                                  @colinbishop34627

Ray,

I've always been a bit doubtful about ordering ply online as it must be quite expensive to package safely.

I'd be interested to know what you ordered from SLEC and what it cost.

The stripwood I have ordered from them has always been well packed.

Colin

Dave Harrison
                                                  Participant
                                                    @daveharrison24862

Great subject Ray, I'm really enjoying following your build so far. What glue are you using to bond the litho plate ? I have tried to use litho sheet in the past on scale RC aircraft with limited success. ( ok on electric models.. lasted five minutes on ic models )

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Colin,

At risk of SHMBO reading this !! My order was £90.00 for the 10 sheets of ply & obeche/balsa strip cost £10.00 postage by courier, packed in a double layer cardboard box well taped up, 3 days from my phone call to them, great service my favourite bargain is the 1/8" cross grained sheets of birch plywood ideal for bulkheads £2.00 per 12" X 60" sheet !!

Dave ,

I'm glad your enjoying the Oldenburg build, the small piece on the bow was superglued on then filleted with epoxy, I too have use Litho plate on aeroplanes for engine access panels on a Hurricane with contact adhesive or double sided tape, seems to work ok, I only use cheap Poundland glue for everything these days I only stopped designing aeroplanes for RCM&E as my mate Tony Nijhuis was so fast !!, but to be fair he doesn't sleep

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 24/11/2020 19:51:06

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)