Dodgy Geezer sites.

Advert

Dodgy Geezer sites.

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Dodgy Geezer sites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Charles Oates
    Participant
      @charlesoates31738

Hi all, the various websites set up by Dodgy Geezer, like the eezebilt and Taycol sites seem to be down. Does anyone know if he’s ok or what’s happening?

Charles

Advert
      Dodgy Geezer 1
      Participant
        @dodgygeezer1

I’m sorry to cause such consternation!

I maintain these sites on a shoestring, using free and open source capabilities where possible, and I’m afraid that under these circumstances you get what you pay for. (If you pay for things you may not get them either – but that’s a different matter).

The .TK domain allows people to register domain names for free, which is why I use it. Registering multiple domain names can start to become costly… Unfortunately, this free domain service therefore attracts a host of dodgy characters apart from myself, and is constantly having arguments with the ICANN authorities about its failure to remove criminals, hackers and other assorted undesirables (such as model boat enthusiasts?). One such argument seems to have come to a head a few weeks ago, resulting in the entire domain being shut down for some weeks.

The sites are now addressable again, but of course there can be no firm guarantees that something similar will not happen again. Incidentally, while they were down some interest was expressed by another vintage R/C web site in mirroring my ones – I’d be happy if anyone wanted to do that, and it would certainly add resilience….

Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Thanks DG, I completely understand. The sites are a great resource, if they can be mirrored so much the better.

I found what I needed on the Taycol site, I’ll send you a pm about it soon, it might interest you.

Charles

Tim Cooper
          Participant
            @timcooper90034

Below is a picture of a slightly enlarged Triton. Yet to get wet but hoping it will be soon.

IMG_20230905_203810

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Nice example Tim. I made one of those back in the day but it was nowhere as good as yours.

An attractive design.

Colin

Tim Cooper
              Participant
                @timcooper90034

Also the Russian Missile Boat from the 50 + range. TimIMG_20240311_161457

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)