Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Advert

Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

Home Forums Scratch build Osprey – Trip Boat 28′

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Will Mason 1
    Participant
      @willmason1

Osprey looks fantastic on the water Ray. Similar lines to an old wooden motor boat I used to own, but that was 26' long and powered by a good old 3 cylinder Lister.

I'm still amazed at you guys who can look at a single image of a boat and draw up a set of plans with bulkheads etc that you can build from. That's a skill that i really wish that I had, but wouldn't even know where to start. 2 view, yes, I can just about do something with that (to a degree), but a single view and in this case, not even side on.

Anyway, great looking boat.

Will

Advert
      Philby
      Participant
        @philby

Hi Ray

yes a lovely looking boat

It was nice to see it on the lake

Phil

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Thanks Phil,

Yes I think it's worth going the extra mile, so I'm putting the draft article and drawings together for a Free plan in the magazine some time in the future, thanks everbody for your encouragement during the build in the first lockdown etc.

Regards Ray

redpmg
          Participant
            @redpmg

Good to hear it Ray – its a great model. Looking forward to seeing the plan.

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Very nice Ray. Clean and simple and what a nice colour!

You need to try and replicate that box drawing in a photo, or at least that’s what I would try for. Perhaps a few props, figures, a bit of fake dockside etc?

Ashley

Tim Rowe
              Participant
                @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I knew it would come good for a plan. I have a subscription now so I will get it.

Nice one.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Tim,

Do you still take RCM&E ?? Fabulous first part of a free plan for a Minimoa 134" span 1/5th scale German Glider, I built the Keilkraft 50" sticks & tissue one when I was a lad, such a beautiful design it's on the build list already

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Really pleased to hear that you are putting a plan together for this Ray. It will make a lovely model for those who enjoy making use of the magazine plans.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Richard,

Well it's down to your nudge in the right direction which spurred me into action

The mag needs our support, Spaceships and-all !!

Many Thanks

Ray

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

I hopefully have a plan in the offing (at least, if accepted) but it may be just a bit outrageous even for those who thought the saucer was outrageous (but soooo easy)

Ashley

Tim Rowe
                        Participant
                          @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I let my subscription lapse after the articles had gone their cycle as they eventually do. I have more free plans than I know what to do with and the Minimoa would be too big for me. I get lots of enjoyment watching other people build such beauties.

Bated breath Ashley!

Tim R

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

Hi Ray, got my magazine today, the Osprey article is absolutely spot on. Just the sort of thing to tempt someone to have a go at a plan build. She makes into a lovely cruiser as well and I enjoyed reading the accompanying article.

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Nice project Ray, glad it got published at last. Funnily enough we had a trip around Nauplion harbour in Greece a couple of weeks back in a very similar sized boat. It did have a full length awning for the passengers to keep the sun off though and the wheelhouse was at the stern.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

ob1.jpgHi Richard & Colin,

Thanks for your kind words, rather a dilemma now ! which one should I do next ??

I know followers saw them both being built on here but for the next magazine free design ??

MS Oldenburg or YM Eventide

Regards Rayeventide bw2.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/06/2022 19:48:34

Will Mason 1
                                Participant
                                  @willmason1

Ray, my preference of the two would be YM Eventide.

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

I think the Eventide looks very typical of a small sailing boat that many of us might have come across in our younger days. Consequently I think it might have a wider appeal. I also think it would be simpler to build therefore appeal to a wider audience and, at the end of the day, it just looks a very pretty little model that I'm sure would be enjoyable to sail.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Thanks Guys,

Good to get some feedback, I shall progress the article for Eventide

Maybe do the Oldenburg later I know Lindsey is keen on it.

Richard,

I hadn't realised how large your steam launch was until I saw you with it in the latest issue

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

Its me Ray, I'm actually very small!

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Simon,

I found the old build thread for Osprey

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
                                          Participant
                                            @simonanderson1

Thanks Ray – it looks great!

Randy Smead
                                            Participant
                                              @randysmead26076

Hi Ray, I just started building the Osprey, and bottom of frames 4 and 5 don’t seem to have the correct angle. They match the template, so I’m not quite sure what’s going on. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Randy

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Randy,

Well, every boat comes out different slightly, but if you look at the beginning of this thread you will see how the templates were used to form the bulkheads and then traced round for the drawing, which was traced by Model Boats graphic designer. Are you building inverted on a board ? I find using a straight edge over the bulkheads will show if they need some packing pieces added to allow the planks to fit nicely. If you still have queries please post some pictures This is the first question I have had, keep them coming.

Regards Rayimg_20200411_203217.jpg

Randy Smead
                                                Participant
                                                  @randysmead26076

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply! I am new to this forum and so far I can’t figure out how to attach a picture so I will try to explain in text. If you look closely at the printed plans that are included in the magazine, the bottom of frame 5 should be flatter than frame 4 but it is angled more than frame 4. I am building the boat upside down. Also when the frames are in place on the build board and you use a straight edge across the frames, frame 5 is lower than frame 4 at the chine. I was hoping that someone else had built the boat and could share their solution. Thank You for sharing your plans with us, it’s going to be a fun little boat! Thanks for your time!

Randy

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi Randy,

I think the important alignment is the gunwhale cut out of the bulkhead is for the deck line for external appearance, when you put the chine stringer on the job it shows you how much balsa packing you need, the stringer takes a natural curve depending what material you use force it and it'll break, I used obeche which will need 3/32 packing, so the bottom planks sit on the bulkhead.

If you want to post pictures you create an album as shown at the top of the page and post your photo's into it, from there you can use them with your posts. "Rays Boats" maybe worth a look

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/10/2022 14:58:42

Randy Smead
                                                    Participant
                                                      @randysmead26076

e104ea5a-0aba-448b-b614-b6c8877a3416.jpegd4f1b9c5-c87b-4b06-b027-ca6ff50fb988.jpeg905d5ae5-648c-4639-8ee5-e662e9895522.jpeg5adbb1db-786c-4325-b289-1839c5e0303c.jpegHopefully these pictures will at least show what I am talking about. Frames 4 and 5 match the drawings, and the bottom of frame 5 is angled more than frame 4. Frame 5 is going to need a piece added to it to bring it up to the proper height, and frame 4 could possibly need to be cut down a little bit. Thanks again,

Randy

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 153 total)