White Marlin

Advert

White Marlin

Home Forums Scratch build White Marlin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

They are terrific guys and make real efforts to promote barge racing & building Glad to hear you have pressganged a crew for your barge especially the ships dog, it won't sail without one

Regards Ray

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782

I see no reason why we shouldn't just upload from our own files on our computers.

Strange, but it seems to me that's exactly what I've been doing. Create an 'album' [aka a folder]; upload the JPG files from your computer; insert the image you want into your post by clicking on the camera icon and selecting it from your album. No third-party hosting or mucking about choosing formats or upload methods is involved. If it was at all complicated then I'd run a mile from it. You've done it for three images already.

Dave M

Martin Field 1
        Participant
          @martinfield1

That's still a huge faff compared with the normal forum where you just click upload files or similar and there they are. I had a vague memory of doing it before but no idea how I did it.

I'll try again, but if that doesn't work I shan't bother again.

Martin

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Here we go:-

282018_10150330292622433_172215_n.jpg

284317_10150330293847433_8301778_n.jpg

slipper.jpg

2 Rivas and a Thames Slipper launch. All chrome fittings are brass or white metal from my brass masters and then polished and bright nickel plated.

I still think the photos are a faff!

Martin

Dave Milbourn
            Participant
              @davemilbourn48782

Bravo – and some very tasty models indeed!
              DM

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1

Thanks Dave, alas gone to their owners. I did finish the gramophone with an eight petal copper horn.

I made the slipper from a table of offsets held by Freebody which were the original offsets owned by Andrews of Marlow. Alas, I lost 'em and the new kids who run Freebody's won't hear of me borrowing them again. I say if it was good for Peter, grumpy old sod that he was, it should be good for the snowflakes who run the joint now. I got on great with Peter, until I had to be firm with some American woman I made a Freebody electric canoe model for. Their homeland security goons smashed it to bits looking for drugs and she blamed ME! I defended myself and she then had a crack at Peter. He never forgave me. Funny old world ain't it. But then, I made a LOT more out of him than he ever made out of me. Oh and a slipper is SO simple, anyone can make one.

Cheers,

Martin

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Martin,

You are clearly in the next level above my efforts, but when it's a commission the means fits the ends and money is involved. Good luck with Westmoreland

Regards Ray

Martin Field 1
                  Participant
                    @martinfield1

Ray, the drawings of Westmoreland are just what I was after, but she's big! I imagine it will be the most noticeable bit of any model railway.

Thanks again,

Martin

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782
                      Posted by Martin Field 1 on 09/11/2018 22:51:21:Oh and a slipper is SO simple, anyone can make one.

Not like yours, Martin – not anything like yours.
                      As for American ladies, they are not to be trifled with. I have one for an ex-wife and another for an ex-daughter. 'Nuff said?

DM

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

wm40.jpgHi All,

Well the superstructure is substantially complete and almost fits the deck in places coated the hull with West epoxy and has made her look dark & moody, but should blow over the topsides with grey primer this weekend, then it all down to the cockpit details and deck fittings. She looks long and fast but seems surprisingly heavy time will tell.

The bad news is I started building an RC glider in the week I must be regressing?

First draft drawing of the 1/24th Giralda  Thames Sailing Barge on the board behind

Regards Raywm41.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/11/2018 13:32:23

Eddie Lancaster
                        Participant
                          @eddielancaster

She's looking good Ray, where do you find the space to put them all? I passed one of mine onto a friend but that space will soon be filled!

Eddie

Chris Fellows
                          Participant
                            @chrisfellows72943

Yes, that will be a fine looking boat once it's finished. I have a soft spot for timber river cruisers.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

wmbow201118.jpgHi Chris,

She is wolf in sheep's clothing, original good for 20 knots

Regards Raywmstern201118.jpg

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

What timber are you using for the decking Ray?

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi Chris

It's 1.00mm mahogany from Mantua Models of Windsor, described as plywood on the website but not. great stuff and great service from them.

The planking is coated in water based varnish to represent Teak, the edge strip and cabin side are oil based varnish amazing difference in colour

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ray. Was wondering whether to do the Swordsman 33 in planks or not but being quite a big model I have decided to do so now. Not sure about the Huntsman 28 though.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Chris,

The planks are only drawn on the mahogany with a fine line rotring pen, life is too short to plank the deck at 3/4" to the foot scale

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ray, they look good.

I've got a number of Rotring pens from my draughting days but I made the mistake of leaving ink in them. The finer ones are probably past saving.

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Some progress, I have sprayed the hull with grey primer to show up all the bad joints etc so P38 filler applied and rubbed down, twin exhausts turned from brass on the lathe, the chrome foil covered cardboard window frames look ok and they didn't cost anything just 5 hours to makewm dec 18.jpg. masking again next and white basecoat on the topsides before I mask the waterline and paint with Humbrol enamel (the large tins are becoming hard to get hold of I find ) looking forward to deck fittings and cockpit details the light strip across the back of the cabin is walnut but was too light, but too lazy to change it.

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                          Participant
                                            @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, I haven't seen the larger tins of Humbrol for a few years now, the paint from Craftmaster is good but the 150ml. tins at around £10.00 are expensive, and usually 'go off' before you can use it all.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

I have been to most of the model shops in Kent for old stock where I can, where do you get your craftsman paint from ? Humbrol has been the backbone of my model painting for ever !!

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                              Participant
                                                @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray go to the Craftmaster paints website and order direct from them, they make it especially for the vintage and steam engine market and can be brushed or sprayed.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Happy New year all,

Rather a break through with the cabin roof grab rails 😊 Starbucks coffee shops are very thoughtfully using green plastic stirring sticks, which when cross drilled 1/16" and trimmed to length look ok with plastic for threaded through, you may have to invest in coffee at £ 2.60 a cup but we'll worth while 😃

Regards Rayimg_20181231_215621.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

We are almost ready for the paint shop (AKA the shed) just realized only 2 months before the lake @ Bluewater re -opens, so I'd better get cracking 😁

Regards Raywm020119.jpg

Tim Rowe
                                                    Participant
                                                      @timrowe83142

I like the look of that Ray. It is an extremely realistic interpretation of a boat undergoing maintenance in a boatyard!.

Tim

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)