White Marlin

Advert

White Marlin

Home Forums Scratch build White Marlin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

It's coming on well Ray.

Chris

Advert
      Eddie Lancaster
      Participant
        @eddielancaster

I agree, looking good and nice lines.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Guys

Thanks for your kind comments This one is dragging on a bit, the cockpit has quite a lot of joinery seats etc & cushions etc then deck fittings to sort out.

Trouble is I'm building 3 boats at a time !! so your not the only one Chris

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Good on ya Ray!

Whilst I found it a bit overwhelming at one point i.e. building all the hull structures, I'm now finding it really good to be able to work on another whilst I'm waiting for the glue to dry. Helped of course by the fact that apart from a bit more finishing the River Cruiser has been put to one side until I can paint it, so I've only got two on the go at the moment.

Then again I might start on the Fisherman as well soon!

Trouble is I run out of clamps etc. even though I've got quite a lot now!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

Good old Humbrol enamel white topsides, blue below the waterline, masked with Tamiya tape and the boot topping put in red by hand with a long haired brush, makes her look quite smart, cockpit joinery seats etc and the deck fittings to go, cheated and bought fairleads from Rob at the Chatham Dockyard Model Shop

Regards Raywm290119.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
              Participant
                @eddielancaster

A real good looking boat, Ray, I like the colour scheme, and the guy stood in the cockpit gives a good idea of the scale.

Like me you must be running short of space, I can see two other boats in the background, and is that a trophy board behind it?

Best wishes.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Thanks Eddie,

She's turning out ok, one of my better efforts 😇 yes a genuine AMBO John Nicholls Memorial trophy award for my little 30" barge Gertrude concours d' elegance from last year's September finals at Mote park Maidstone previous winners are the great & good of barge building.

Threatening snow this evening maybe marooned in the workshop for a week ☺

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

I like the figure Ray, what scale is the model? As Eddie says looks a treat. I did a bit more on the Swordsman on Sunday to the bow but as yesterday was such a nice day I went out with my camera and a new lens I got just after Christmas as an early retirement present! Roll on 5 April.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 29/01/2019 20:00:25

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Chris,

You are lucky to be able to retire, I'm working till I drop 😀 White Marlin is 3/4" to the foot , if you look at my first post, you can see the original Thornycroft drawing given to me by her current owner, I'm hoping the model and original meet at some stage 😁 the figure is a BBC Doctor Who figure 50p in a charity shop if your lucky.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Lots of fittings to produce to finish her now so my strategy is work from the bow to the stern, it's working so far 😀

Regards Raywmwinchfeb19.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

wmsternfeb19.jpgHi All

The end is in sight (stern) anyway 😀 and the cockpit now needs cushions to complete, happy days I can get on with the cruising cat 🐱 one blue foam build I've been looking forward too.

Regards Ray

Boating @ Bluewater/Chantry Club this Saturday 😄

wmcockpit2feb19.jpg

Tim Rowe
                          Participant
                            @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

Love those dinky Morse controls.

How are you going to do the cushions. On my Elliot Bay Steamer I threw away the red baise. It had lost its stick anyway and instead I used Solartex ironed onto some soft balsa cushions. Had a nice fine fabric texture and was quick.

Looking forward to seeing the cat.

Regards

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

This photo's a sort of spot the White Marlin Competition, she has all the gear aboard and running, so I'm hoping for a decent day on Sunday for sea trials, this is the general view of my playroom/garage/workshop, my wife has the rest of the house

Regards Raywkshop1feb19.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

wm1.1.jpgHi All,

Just a final note on HMS Fervent AKA now White Marlin, she has been tested twice now, and good to report the twin 480's are ample power for a scale planing performance 😊

Regards Raywm1.2.jpg

Tim Rowe
                                Participant
                                  @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

You found it then!!

Looking great on the water. Is that Bluewater or ordinary green stuff? laugh

Regards

Tim R

Eddie Lancaster
                                  Participant
                                    @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray,I am looking forward to next months MB with White Marlin drawings, was she ever based at Ramsgate?

Regards

.Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

I'm sure she would have been based at Ramsgate at some stage of the war, she was found partly sunk in the Medway after the war and was rescued by the then owner of the Tate & Lyle sugar refinery in Silver Town on the Thames. My miniature version is one of my favourite boats to run (without sails & Lee boards )😀

Diagonal carvel planking a first for me!!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 23/10/2019 17:44:15

Eddie Lancaster
                                      Participant
                                        @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, have just had a look at your White Marlin, it has got to go on my build listsmiley for three reasons, 1. I built a double diagonal planked Thornycroft hull years ago and want to do another, 2 I like the shape of Thornycroft hulls and 3 you have retained the shape of the hull in your model design,so what's not to like?

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Yes she is a class act alright, one of my favourites (for a motor boat) I have many photos of the 12" = 1 ft version when you need them, as well as some in my album.

Recent diversion with the Jet Provost, but going to start Cossack fittings from the bow working aft , she needs a bulls eye ring on the front, may have to get the Myford going 😀

I did let Martyn our editor know about the mag distribution problems, so they are aware of the it !

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                          Participant
                                            @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, the White Marlin build is around 3 or 4 on the list at the moment,but it could get moved up the list.

I'm not sure were the problem is this time,but if MB are not getting the service they are payimg for then they need to know.

Regards.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

It was good reading more about the build in the magazine, it's a fine looking boat. The planking information will be useful in a forthcoming build!

Chris

ashley needham
                                              Participant
                                                @ashleyneedham69188

Well done Ray. A nice classic looking boat, great photos.

re workshop..only marginally more cluttered than mine!

Ashley

Stephen Randles
                                                Participant
                                                  @stephenrandles25662

Hi all, I’m new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I’m really keen to replicate your build of the MV White Marlin but I cannot find plans for her anywhere. The free plan enclosed in the issue of Model Boats is out of print and unavailable. Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of the plans for this historic vessel?
                                                  Many Thanks

Steve Randles

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your interest in White Marlin, she is one of my favourite builds, I have the drawings 2 sheets electronically as pdf's If you private message me your email address I'll ping them over to you, most repro shops will print them off at A1 size for a few quid

SARIK plans service don't seem to get their hands on the free plans these days !!

Regards Raywm1.1.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

I thought it would be good to let my model of White Marlin meet the real boat and her owner, and as the Dunkirk Little Ships Association are having a gathering over the coming Coronation weekend at St Catherine's Dock London so It's a great opportunity, It will be an interesting train and underground journey with her in a box

Before anybody asks she is 37" long X 8" Beam and was a free plan in the December 2019. I know of at least 6 having been built.

Regards Raywhite marlin 020523.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)