1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

Advert

1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

Home Forums Build Blogs 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    George Norman
    Participant
      @georgenorman68347

Defo Colin, Chuffed it did not keel over, It certainly does have some presence on the water.

I wonder will I varnish the deck before putting the card 'Armoured' plating on now.

The next step will be to I imagine could be to paint the Hull? I Might get some Grey primer and they do some pre shading on the hull and then the top coats, I have been told this could very well of had a black bottom to it but It would be a bit dull If I did it in that scheme. I like the Red and Black line scheme.

Advert
      George Norman
      Participant
        @georgenorman68347

Happy Friday lads,

Been Beavering away on this one for the past while still, Lots and lots of prep, 2 hours to prep the Gallows,Solder and attach the steps and pully!

As you can see the castings, Well I'll be kind there not the best but hey this is no Tamiya shake and bake kit and thats where the fun lies.img_7248.jpg

img_7249.jpg

See the Height Difference and how one leg is well short!

img_7254.jpg

img_7245.jpg

The Anchor Winch was Made up to, I dont know much about these but lots of head scratching depite the instructions have it drawn out! Needs to be weather next.

img_7242.jpg

The Boat Deck Platform was built and the Legs attached, Holes were mad in the superstructure for it to sit into. Its just sitting there not glued presently.

img_7246.jpg

Finally Decided to get rid of those Blobby white metal guns and go with the Gaspatch jobs, No comparison, They should make the Model pop, Love the Ammo bags that catch the spent shells too!

img_7257.jpg

Thats all for now folks, More shed action this weekend no doubt, have a great one chaps!

George Norman
        Participant
          @georgenorman68347

Morning all,

Well took a few steps backwards today but we are on the right tack now.

The Tall vent pipes were placed as per the plans but when the compass deck was placed the ladders from the lower superstructure could not be placed properly so had to move the pipes forward and inwards a tad. You can see the outline of the original site where they were.

I used a Grinder bit for my Dremel and whittled away a small bit at a time until I got the spot I needed and the Vents were replaced and glued in place. I placed some masking tape over the hole that needed to be filled and from underneath forced some P38 in and then sanded them flush when dry. I then tackled the Ladders and handrails which am now happy with.

The Eyes on the funnel were also attached and the Wheelhouse floor glued in Place.

Hours spent today with little to show but happy with the resiting

img_7260.jpg

img_7261.jpg

img_7262.jpg

img_7263.jpg

img_7265.jpg

img_7266.jpg

img_7267.jpg

img_7271.jpg

George Norman
          Participant
            @georgenorman68347

Moving Along nicely and one of the most eagerly awaited jobs, The Armour Deck Plating.

2 Sheets of paper were provided in the kit, Yeah right that will cover the hole thing plus on top of it I made a balls of two attempts do lay the Plates so had to order a pack of 50 sheet. Just trying to get a suitable Rivet head was problematic, Tried a Dart, Drill bit, Grinding bit, some other bits in bobs but nothing great, In the end I round off a 2mm brass rod and put into a pin vice and pressed each one in to each plate, marking out 5mm per rivet and 2mm in from the edge. A long process.

Plate are glued with PVA watered down, What ya think?

Also had to solder up a short shot cleat with some smaller brass rod onto this davit., The Shiney bit are Telescopic Aerial cut up, looks quite nice!

img_7280.jpg

img_7279rd.jpg

img_7278.jpg

img_7277.jpg

img_7276.jpg

img_7275.jpg

George Norman
            Participant
              @georgenorman68347

Good Morning,

We had a bank Holiday last Monday and despite the Sat and Sunday being lovely Monday was quite the opposite so refuge was taken in the shed and the winch was pulled out and the usual clean up of the white metal parts began

The Winch build took over 2 days, Not being a nautical person It was fairly complicated with some one of the bits on the instructions being in the wrong place so luckily the other builds provided guidelines on where these go! (don't these Illustrative artists include something wrong on their drawings to indentify copying!) As you can see it is mostly White Metal and brass rods with 2 resin parts so this called for assembly with solder for strength and durability. Resin bits where superglued on. Painting next.

img_7363.jpg

img_7362.jpg

img_7361.jpg

img_7366.jpg

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

Truly magnificent detail work Georgeyes

George

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

The amount of weight going into the fittings worries me a bit. Are bathtub trials OK?

Colin

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

built one some years ago Colin, and if you get it down to the proper "fishing" weight waterline, which is higher than Frank drew on his plans [about 15mm more draught] you have no problems………she sails beautifully…….and has great rough weather potential with no sense of rolling or listing.

to many are afraid of keeping the freeboard as little as possible………..just lower the hull into the water………..they were made for such sailing conditions, and as such, the top hamper is taken care of.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 05/05/2021 20:38:43

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 05/05/2021 20:39:47

George Norman
                    Participant
                      @georgenorman68347

The pond trails are all ok, I loaded it up with the Batteries and lead weights and the total amount of white metal fittings up on the top deck and it was a steady as a rock. I am happy with it so far!

Once I get the Paper 'Armoured plating' done then the hull painting will begin. I must admit the paper laying is the most difficult and tedious part so so. I failed 3 time to do it so have plenty of Practice so far

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

All good then! It is certainly an impressive build. You must be pleased.

Colin

George Norman
                        Participant
                          @georgenorman68347

Good Evening all

Been Beavering away still, Never seems to progress as there is so many little bits to do!

The Carley float was a crap resin mould and I was not too happy with it, the ropes in resin were sanded smooth and replaced with real rope and pre shaded and then painted, I also weathered the winch and stuck to rope on it too, Bit more work to do on it as you can see.

Before Sanding

img_7371.jpg

Adding the string

img_7368.jpg

img_7369.jpg

img_7374.jpg

img_7375.jpg

img_7376.jpg

img_7378.jpg

img_7379.jpg

img_7384.jpg

img_7381.jpg

img_7382.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 11/05/2021 23:20:51

Edited By George Norman on 11/05/2021 23:21:47

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

beautiful work George……..so much love and hard work going in to this……….love it.

George Norman
                            Participant
                              @georgenorman68347

Hello Everyone.

Well the bags of bits are diminishing quite quickly from me last check, Still pondering about some pieces though and where they go!

Over the weekend I tackled the Depth Charge Platform and got it built but not painted yet. Might do that tonight.

Depth charges had Metal Ends and plastic tube for the middle, Went together quite nicely. They plans show Eyes to tie these down and looking at other build there seemed to be white metal eyes provided but none were included on my model so some spare eyes were got from the spares box and those put in. The lower part of the davit was gain from Telescopic aerial which fitted lovely. Running out of tube now so luckily the model shops are back open in Ireland.

img_7389.jpg

img_7392.jpg

I also made up the Stove pipes by the rear gun tub and the rear mast was made up from brass rod and the top of an spare telescopic aerial. The Flanges supplied fr the base of the mast were the wrong size so I used some brass rod as a pin so when these are glued they will be nice a sturdy.

Need to finish off the paper Armour this week and get the capping rails laid and the hull and deck painted.

img_7401.jpg

img_7402.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 17/05/2021 10:00:15

George Norman
                              Participant
                                @georgenorman68347

Good afternoon Folks.

Still tipping around with this one. Lots of Small items being finished and ready for the installation when needed.

The Depth Charge rack is now down including the rigging now. Also started the weather on the Anchor winch soldered up the mast base and opened up the hold for same.

Not sure if the drums next to the Anchor winch should be cable through, I might replace the 'rope' with Cable as it does call them cable drums in the instructions.

img_7443.jpg

img_7445.jpg

img_7442.jpg

img_7449.jpg

img_7448.jpg

img_7447.jpg

finally the Stove Vents?, have been built and ready to be put in and you can see the Mast sticking out of where it will be living. This will be the next bit to do I think.

img_7451.jpg

George Norman
                                Participant
                                  @georgenorman68347

Good afternoon Gents.

Small update again and a bit of guidance needed please?

Its been awhile since the last update as I lost my Camera on a Mountain but luckily enough was returned to me when a Picture of my Friend in a Silly pose did the rounds on social Media. His name was Dave so better of having a Dave instead of Dick on a camera it seems!

Any how been tackling the small bits a pieces:

The Oropesa floats took about a week and a half to do as the Resin was full of bubble sand every time was sanded numerous bubbles reappeared. Finally got them over the line.

Their Cranes were also built, Mast Tapered, the Little Barred Portholes on the main deck were inserted and glazed after carving out inserts for them. The vents on in main deck were built up from Radio Antenna.

Also made the Grating for the Bridge from Pasticard strip. Took Ages. Not supplied in the model!

img_7459.jpg

img_7481.jpg

img_7479.jpg

img_7477.jpg

img_7480.jpg

img_7478.jpg

Now the Help Part!

The Main mast yard arm shows part number 182, Halyards, Now these are tiny and looking at other models some used these with attachment rings, The ones supplied have none, These are just blocks, Are these Halyards?

As you can see I tried drilling these and inserting a little brass eyebolt but this is not Great. It would of been better to used the ones pictured that have a ring above and below and insert the eyebolts through the yardarm.

img_7473.jpg

As you can see here the ideal one would be to use the Painted Part and not the tiny Halyards (10 pictured here in the 5 o clock position seen here with the eyebolt through it. It is better to source aftermarket ones I wonder!

img_7474.jpg

Also the piece count differs from Mr Godfreys build on this site, Are the Halyards the items on the link here, Are the Halyard picture on the top right, If they are then these are missing from the Kit along with some other pieces too.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/2748/img_2435.jpg

I seen he used the part similar to the one I have painted in the above picture but I dont have enough to complete the Yard arm

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/2748/img_2459.jpg

MTIA

George.

Edited By George Norman on 21/06/2021 15:54:52

George Norman
                                  Participant
                                    @georgenorman68347

I should add : It should be Rigging blocks for the Halyards!

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

A halyard is basically any rope that is used to hoist something such as a load, yard arm or a flag. It can also be used however to include the complete arrangement of pulleys involved.

I'm not sure what the painted part you refer to is supposed to be!

George Norman
                                      Participant
                                        @georgenorman68347

Thanks Richard

Not a term I have come across before, now I know!

anyhow come up with a solution to those tiny blocks. They are mis moulded so difficult to run a rope around to I soldered them to the Yard arm and I will run some Thread on the outside.

img_7488.jpgimg_7487.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330

Can you not run a drill through them? A small drill in a pin vice will go through white metal very easily.

George Norman
                                          Participant
                                            @georgenorman68347

They are very badly moulded when they were done, about 1m each side out. I did drill one ok as per the above pic but they look poor anyhow, I filed them up to look a wee bit better.

George Norman
                                            Participant
                                              @georgenorman68347

Hi Lads,

Coming up to a Year since I started this one! time Flies!

Thanks for the Comments, Been Beavering away here and have managed to get a few small items done over the past while but the most tedious one has been done and that is the Armoured Deck Plating and punching the Rivets but I have that done Saturday all day and I have now pre shaded with white and Black and then laid the green on the top. I am quite pleased with this as a Flat green Deck would of looked a bit toy like. Took it out in he ambient light to see though what it looked like. Weathering also has been started on the Box, Front Gun and ammo Boxes by the Main cabin.

Sunday took the the Knockmealdown mountains, About 20mins drive from my house for a 13K hike to calm me nerves after slicing the top of my Left hand thumb off with the Scalpel! Parents were not available or supervision for Help at the time! Pics included for something different!

img_7545.jpgimg_7546.jpgimg_7547.jpgimg_7548.jpgimg_7549.jpgimg_7550.jpgimg_7551.jpgimg_7552.jpgimg_7553.jpgimg_7554.jpgimg_7557.jpg

Looking down at the Terrain which include 3 Glens and trail I have to get to.

img_7518.jpg

Looking North East

img_7538.jpg

the End of the Hike you get Reward with this, Bay Lough.

img_7544.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 28/06/2021 18:02:16

Edited By George Norman on 28/06/2021 18:03:34

Edited By George Norman on 28/06/2021 18:20:45

Richard Simpson
                                              Participant
                                                @richardsimpson88330

Lovely pre-shading on that green deck. It gives the area much more interest and credibility.

George Norman
                                                Participant
                                                  @georgenorman68347

Hi all,

Now big step forward to the finish, Popped into Halfords and got some Red and Grey primer in rattle cans and blasted the red on the lower part and grey on the top. Of course there are a few blemishes here and there to tidy up and the P-38 came out to tackle those.

Once sorted the Pre Shading will happen and then the airbrushing of the top coat.

Also finished the handrail capping and Bulwark supports on the port side.

The Mast is also finished, Done using the Drill Method and thanks to the Mountfleet guys for suppling me with some missing bits to complete that!.

img_7613.jpg

img_7612.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 06/07/2021 12:22:57

Richard Simpson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @richardsimpson88330

Just the right level of restrained weathering to make the model realistic without going too far. A lovely model, very neatly put together.

George Norman
                                                    Participant
                                                      @georgenorman68347

Hello all,

The Finishing line is coming up soon I hope unless the misses pushes me to lay a patio out the garden but we are in situ now for 20 years and never seemingly needed one till now. In Ireland we would use it for about 3 days I expect a year so complete waste of good cold cash, Pond enlargement would be better!

Commiserations on the footie too. Good game though kind of hoped it would end the long saga of not winning.

Next was the Pre Shading of black and white to take the boring flat grey scape off of the hull. another cost of the Red needs to be done yet but took her out in the natural light to see what needed to be done and the pics below are the results. This was all done by Airbrush. A Badger 155 Anthem I have had for years.

Let me know what you think.

img_7616.jpgimg_7617.jpgimg_7618.jpgimg_7619.jpgimg_7622.jpgimg_7623.jpgimg_7627.jpg

img_7628.jpg

Here are a couple of views from of the the Mountain, Makes a change from boats boats boats!

On the way down!img_7599.jpg

Looking up at the top which is in Cloud

img_7569.jpg

Looking across the valley with some Fab Water cascasding down the side!

img_7602.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 13/07/2021 15:58:29

Edited By George Norman on 13/07/2021 16:08:55

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 99 total)