1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

Advert

1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

Home Forums Build Blogs 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

ahh, the ubiquitous circle cutter…………an invaluable tool for any modeller.that looks a nice sturdy one, George………where did you buy that one from………….i'm due for a new one, as mine are getting old and flimsy.

Advert
      George Norman
      Participant
        @georgenorman68347

Morning All,

Here a few more piccies of the progress, Getting to look a bit busy. I started the supports under right hand side Nav light, the White metal castings were too small Diameter wise for the tube supplied to I cut up a telescopic aerial and salvaged suitable with tube to use. The Second Aerial I had of course does not have the Diameter I need! Arrgh. Might get some Brass rod in BNQ or such as the LMS are sold out of Suitable Tubing plastic or Metal!

Also the Resin Casting of the Cow Vents are pretty crude so these were drilled out and my Favourite Green stuff putty (no longer being made) Was used to smooth the bad bits.

I answering the cutter questions these one if pretty Feeble, I used it is set in the groves using the blade in the plastic and then a sharp scalpel to do the rest. I think I got it in the local Art shop in Cork. Fine for Paper really.

This one  I use is a tennor on Amazon.

img_7099.jpgimg_7098.jpgimg_7097.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 22/03/2021 10:45:18

George Norman
        Participant
          @georgenorman68347

Good Morning,

I've been advised that the grey I have used (Humbrol 147) is no where close to the home fleet grey these ships were painted in. Humbrol 145 is a closer fit it seems.

So out came a tin of that and I re sprayed the cabins and stern tub to see what they were like. Any opinion on this colour folks? The original colour is the light grey on the box in between the front handrails.

img_7100.jpgimg_7101.jpg

img_7102.jpg

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Yes, the 145 looks better.

As long as the colour is roughly right there is no need to agonize over the exact shade as the appearance of the ship will vary considerably depending on ambient lighting conditions and the reflectivity of the paint surface.

Colin

George Norman
            Participant
              @georgenorman68347

Tks Colin.

I might take it outside later to see it on the natural light.

and Confirmation coming from a Bishop too!

cheers

George

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Just don't ask me to marry you!

Colin

George Norman
                Participant
                  @georgenorman68347

Once is enough Colin!

George Norman
                  Participant
                    @georgenorman68347

Hello All,

Some goodies arrived from Blighty today, no extra customs on them thankfully!

Speaker, Switch for the searchlight, power board, Some wire and a variable fan unit. The Local LMS supplied some copper tube, paints and a welcome Creme Egg for the 9PM Cuppa.

Also manage to install the Hand grabs up to the Gun Tub and the hand rails, I used slightly thinner wire for these as the Stanchions are well delicate.

I need to create the 'Shield' unit to stop the lads shooting off the funnel.

img_7105.jpgimg_7107.jpg

George Norman
                    Participant
                      @georgenorman68347

Good evening,

A week off work enabled some more time in the Shed, The finishing touches were to replace the Rivet heads lost whilst tidying up the superstructure.

The first coat overlaid was done over some black pre-shading. I must admit the Darker grey suits it brilliantly and makes it more warlike!

img_7108.jpgimg_7109.jpgimg_7110.jpgimg_7111.jpg

img_7113.jpg

George Norman
                      Participant
                        @georgenorman68347

And the Boat Yard is on O/T this week. Windows in, Gun Platform more or less done

I need to get better cowl vents and the ones supplied are just very poor and too thin to tidy up as per the pics and the hole that has appeared in the one I tried to do.

And the leccy stuff is being worked on and where best to place what is needed where, Although it is s huge hull the batteries and smoke unit take up a fair amount of space not to mind other weights I will have to carry no doubt!

Bad Cowel Vents, I cant do anything with these. You can see the one with the hole. very poor casting, you have to ask why bother at all? Order into Cornwall Model boats this weekend sa me relived of 30 notes for replacement ones.

img_7126.jpg

img_7128.jpg

img_7127.jpg

Gun Platform is slowly coming together now.

Would they really have shells stowed around the deck of this Platform, the plans show this but it strikes me as a bit strange?

img_7125.jpg

img_7124.jpg

img_7123.jpg

img_7122.jpg

img_7120.jpg

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

"Would they really have shells stowed around the deck of this Platform, the plans show this but it strikes me as a bit strange?"

iN ONE WORD, Yes!

George Norman
                          Participant
                            @georgenorman68347

Thanks Neil!

Spose handy for the Battle to have them on hand!

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

there used to be a small pamphlet floating around some years ago based on different types of british warships…………..they were specials each devoted to one type of warship per pamphlet, Algerine, and flower class were two of the minesweepers dealt with, and one was on armed trawlers and armed trawler minesweeper, and i had a copy of the trawler one………….sadly it has disappeared……….but the plans of mountfleet which were originally frank hinchliffs of caldercraft frame were very accurate……..think the auther of those pamphlets was possibly called Pritchard, same as mine but no relation.

George Norman
                              Participant
                                @georgenorman68347

Good Afternoon Gents,

Looking forward to the weekend now!

Still working away on this one, Lots of tidying up with the white metal parts and my order from Cornwall Model Boats arrived with the replacement cowl vents which look fab, I think they look to be 3D printed.

I was hoping to have the sound unit installed but these are not able from Action just yet so I have installed the speaker and I will work on how to install the other wiring but the next big step will be the deck and after placing all the bits n bobs on the deck I noticed something is just not right…….

As per the photo I have the Main Deck Level as the bubble indicates (these are not calibrated BTW!)

Also the Superstructure stuff is not glued on so don't panic! (just yet!)

img_7144.jpg

Hooooooooowever…….

When another level in placed on the bow….. Oh no….

img_7143.jpg

You can see here that one side of the Hull and the other is mismatched by looking at the 'strips' along the hull.

img_7142.jpg

img_7145.jpg

You can see the beef up using bit of wood up to get this sorted so the issue is do I build up one side or take down the other by about 5MM. What to do??????

img_7146.jpg

img_7147.jpg

Meanwhile the other detail parts are coming along. New Cowl vent and vent pipes in.

img_7148.jpg

img_7152.jpg

Lewis guns installed, All soldered up and very delicate. Some nice Lewis guns available from Gas Patch Models so I might just replace those basic ones. Not finished the painting of these yet.

img_7153.jpg

Rear AA gun has also been soldered together and the inside of the Tub Painted and a few touches needed.

img_7151.jpg

img_7150.jpg

So there we have it. If anyone has had this issue I will be all ears. I imagine it is easier to take it down how ever.

All the best

George

Edited By George Norman on 09/04/2021 12:14:26

timg
                                Participant
                                  @timg12590

Hi George

She is coming along nicely,

for your issue at the bow, could you add abit of cardboard to see how it looks or take 2.5 off the high side and add 2.5 on to the low side ( see what other members suggest 1st they might have a better solution)..

Good luck

Tim

George Norman
                                  Participant
                                    @georgenorman68347

Thanks Tim.

After much deliberation it was a case of 2 steps forward 1 step back what ever I was going to do., I took the high side down, Easiest option really. The next issue is relocation of one of the Starboard Portholes as that was placed too high. Need to get some P39 for that me thinks.

It seems to be all plumb now, Wheelhouse deck, Main deck and Foredeck. Just need to do the leccy stuff and then the decks get be stuck on and the funs starts then!

img_7168.jpg

img_7169.jpg

img_7170.jpg

img_7171.jpgimg_7172.jpg

George Norman
                                    Participant
                                      @georgenorman68347

Morning all,

Well happy with the Deck now and I have relocated the porthole now slightly lower now so well pleased, Just used P39 for the Filler.

img_7176.jpg

The Next Thing I decided to tackle was done on Sunday am when I snuck out to the shed instead of laying Patio slabs, That lasted till 2 before the Fun Extractor called me for work duties.

Anyhow got the Leccy Tested and she Runs, Little glitch in that the Viper Speed Controller, the on/off switch would not budge and after some pressure just fell apart so I will get a more Sturdy one to use. I just twisted the wires together for now.

The Rudder, Fan Controller and Throttle work and uses a Snazzy Spectrum Receiver which now have no bind plugs Amazing Tech these days and no Aerial! I still am amazed about all this can be all set up in Seconds! I have made a little Tray attached to the side of the hull to hold the Controller, Fan Controller and receiver using a Action Power board. Not as technical as others have designed but it will suit myself, Keeping it simple.

I will use a connector then from the board to the Superstructure for the lights and hopefully will be able to use Magnets for the bits n bobs that will need to be removed in order to get to the Batteries to charge them

img_7174.jpgimg_7175.jpg

All the Best

George

George Norman
                                      Participant
                                        @georgenorman68347

Forgot to add I was in the office last week and decided to print off some Telegraph faces, Barometer faces, clock Maps and a Piccy of the King for the Wheel House deck.

Of course I forgot Measure it so stuck it lucky with the Size.

I Stuck the Telegraph one on with PVA Card glue. Looks ok I think!

img_7179.jpg

img_7178.jpgimg_7177.jpg

Edited By George Norman on 12/04/2021 14:31:24

George Norman
                                        Participant
                                          @georgenorman68347

Good Morning,

As the Red Arrows Say Smoke on go!

Mister is from Marks Model Bits, Clever system using Water only which is blown up the pipe by a little Fan. Unit is run off of 24V so a Step up is needed. Fan is run from 12V and some electronic Wizardry from Action electronics is needed to keep the fan going in the same direction.

img_7184.jpgimg_7186.jpgimg_7187.jpg

img_7188.jpg

George Norman
                                          Participant
                                            @georgenorman68347

Good Morning,

Work in the dockyard continues with some massive step taken, all the wiring is complete internally for the lights in the hull , Superstructure, mice little Prewired LED were installed.

Also work on installing a Bright LED into the Search light and this was completed and tested as well as a Reed switch operated by the transmitter, its not latching so I used the off option with the on happening at the flick of a lever on the tranny. At the rear of the light Silver foil at the back was glued on to give a Mirror appearance.

And finally I plucked up the courage and decided to stick the deck on used copious amounts of wood glue so the next step will be to probably paint the hull and then to the Deck Armour plating. Flying along here!

img_7202.jpg

img_7203.jpg

img_7204.jpg

img_7207.jpg

img_7206.jpg

img_7208.jpg

img_7209.jpg

George Norman
                                            Participant
                                              @georgenorman68347

Well that went well except I glued a LED wire under the Deck and a cross beam but that sorted now and the little Light rewired and the LED working under the Bow which will look nice on Sailing a dusk which I have never done!

I then soldered up some White metal and Brass rod for the voice pipes for the Bridge and started on the Binnacle using some 9mm dowl and coffer sticks sanded smooth! Needs to be Paint next.

The Bow plate was also glued down with PVA and Left to Dry and then the edges were filled in with P39 Car Filler and then sanded smooth, Well the front part anyhow.

I need to adjust one of the tall air intake pipes and one seemed to of moved and has set slightly off which is a balls but thems the breaks!

img_7210.jpg

img_7213.jpg

img_7214.jpg

img_7217.jpg

img_7218.jpg

img_7219.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Have you done some floatation tests with all that stuff aboard George? Stability can sometimes be an issue with this model unless the bulk of the internal weight is carried low down.

Colin

George Norman
                                                Participant
                                                  @georgenorman68347

Not yet Colin.

I seen some other Chaps work on the water so it defo sails! Once I have the stuff now buttoned up I will do some float tests in the bath or garden pond.

I will have 2 Large 12V PB batteries flat down about 5mm off of the bottom, I have another tray full some lead weight pummelled into a small dense lump as close to the hull bottom as low as I can go so these are the main ballast right now

I have some flat diving weights too, the placing of the Stern weights will be the main issue.

I'll give it a go later and will let you know!

George Norman
                                                  Participant
                                                    @georgenorman68347

Good Evening,

Well the sun that has been out all week has typically gone away for the weekend! Anyhow decided to see if this ship does exactly what it is supposed to do! Happy to say yes. 3 12V PB batteries in the hull and some lead aft trimmed it out. Too Small for the Tadpole pond in the fish one it went.

the shot with the box is the remaining white metal parts.

img_7229.jpg

img_7231.jpg

img_7232.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                                      @colinbishop34627

That's great George. Really pleased with your result. As must be you be.

Colin

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)