Spot the missing workshop

Advert

Spot the missing workshop

Home Forums Gallery Spot the missing workshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

Dave

You could apply insulation to the exterior of the roof Link when fitted neatly this product is efficient and fairly unobtrusive.

Laying it directly onto the roof without any further decorative finishes might not be exactly to specification but being gray in colour it does look reasonable on shed / workshop walls and roofs.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 04/06/2018 19:04:43

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782

Thanks for that, Paul, but my mind is made up, at least for the time being. You and others have remarked that I do carry around a considerable amount of "personal insulation" so until they have to pry my cold, dead fingers from my soldering iron – or conversely decant my melted remains into a large tub for removal – I shall stick with my trusty fan-heater. It's not as if I'm moving in there permanently; I can always escape back into the house!

DM

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Could try that silver bubble wrap type insulation. This can be pinned to the roof/sides internally between the joists. It is supposed to be quite effective, and of course is very thin, so you don't lose space. Having silver in the roof will also aid lighting levels.

If nothing else, having the roof insulated makes a big difference in summer, keeping the interior a bit cooler.

Ashley

Dave Milbourn
          Participant
            @davemilbourn48782

Ashley

Check out the link I posted above.

DM

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

Hi Dave

Your main loss of heat via the roof next is the walls, then the windows and last the floor.

The more you insulate these the more you save in heating cost.

Also in summer much cooler.

Lighting go for LED lights, 5 Watt ones are better than 50 Watt Halogen.

Of course if we could save the hot air from some of the guys from model boat meetings we would not have a power bill !!!

Harry

Dave Milbourn
              Participant
                @davemilbourn48782

I really do appreciate the concern shown for my welfare by so many folk but I do already know how I would insulate the place should it prove necessary.
                On the subject of lighting the first thing I did when we moved into the new house was ditch all of the ordinary incandescent/halogen bulbs and replace them with LED. The workshop will have two of these **LINK** – we have one in the kitchen, replacing four crummy 60W spotlights, and it's brilliant in every sense of the word.

Dave M

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

I presume that these lamps are not coming from China wink

Dave Milbourn
                  Participant
                    @davemilbourn48782

Paul

These days EVERYTHING electrical seems to come from China, but it's not always dubious in quality. The supplier I used is a wholesaler based in Weston-Super-Mare and their delivery is very quick.

The original Chinese lighting system is a fire hazard, as well you should know!

chinese lantern.jpg

DM

Chris Fellows
                    Participant
                      @chrisfellows72943

Dave – I'm with you on the LED lights. When they first came out they weren't too good, limited types and designs and were pretty expensive (like a lot of things) but they are very good now and given their life expectancy, good value. The lack of heat is a big plus as well.

I've replaced most in the house, including two decorative square ones replacing round double D ones and they are fantastic.

Been looking to fit a couple of fluorescent sized ones in the garage as the single low-energy one is slow to reach full strength and doesn't give enough light.

Chris

Dave Milbourn
                      Participant
                        @davemilbourn48782

UPDATE – This arrived at 6.50am today.

22 june 01a.jpg

The Lads are coming next Friday to put it all together. BTW the man from Tiger Sheds said that I won't need any insulation. We'll have to see if he's right.

DM

Cookie
                        Participant
                          @cookie15923

I bet you can't wait Dave ,

Dave smiley

Dave Milbourn
                          Participant
                            @davemilbourn48782

Nope – but I've waited nearly five months to get to this stage so another week won't hurt too much. Just seeing the 'parcel' sitting in the drive lifts my heart!
                            DM

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Why wait Dave, all you need is a really big allen key and a box of expletives…

Glad to see things are moving at last, there will be no limits to what you can produce this winter.

Colin

Banjoman
                              Participant
                                @banjoman

That's very good news indeed, Dave!

For my part, if there's one thing that really gets on my nerves, it's having to wait for delivery of whatever it might be — any new toy, once I've decided to get it, I want it yesterday! I currently have my two parcels from Byrnes Model Machines going through customs clearance, and keep checking the UPS app for potential progress about once every 30 minutes or so …

Anyway, all my best wishes for next week's Jigsaw Assembly Party to be a great success!

Mattias

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Hmmmm…looks suspiciously like a new boat to me….

Ashely

Dave Milbourn
                                  Participant
                                    @davemilbourn48782

Ashley
                                    It's made of cedar wood, not hardboard smile d.

Matthias
                                    I was seriously thinking about inviting the family round for a "cabin-painting + barbeque" party. Painting it is going to be one big job.
                                    I've had a shufti at the two machines you have on their way from USA – 'envy' isn't a big enough word! BTW I've saved that bottle you kindly gave me to celebrate finishing the workshop. I think JD may be a bit too expensive as from today. Thanks a bundle, Donald.

DM

Tim Cooper
                                    Participant
                                      @timcooper90034

Dave

I thought you would be putting the log cabin together yourself. It looks easy on the website!

Good to be made of Cedar. My shed / workshop is cedar and still going strong after 36 years.

Tim

Dave Milbourn
                                      Participant
                                        @davemilbourn48782

Tim
                                        Maybe, but I know my limitations. It's a lot less stress to leave it to somebody else a lot younger & fitter and who knows what they're doing.
                                        DM

Colin Bishop
                                          @colinbishop34627

Dave,

I know you have had plenty of unsolicited advice but if I might throw my twopennyworth in…

My house, as with all the others on this estate features western red cedar cladding. In the 38 years we have been here I have only used SOLVENT based woodstain and it looks as good as when we first moved in. It is a very thin spirit based high VOC formula which really soaks deep into the wood for maximum weather protection and fade resistance.

Most of the stuff you see in the DiY places is 'water based' which doesn't penetrate to anything like the same extent and contains waxes for water repellence which sit on the surface and eventually peel after a few years wherea the solvent based stuff can just be sloshed on again to rejuvenate it every 10 years or so.

The solvent based stain is a bit smelly when initially applied until the volatiles evaporate and contribute to global warming and it does tend to splash around as it is such a thin liquid but I still reckon it is well worth it. It looks much better too as the finish is totally matt unlike the sheen you get with much of the waterbased stuff.

Apologies if you already know all this.

Colin

Tim Cooper
                                          Participant
                                            @timcooper90034

Dave

I have to agree with you about erecting the cabin. I am sure that it's not quite as easy as it looks.

Tim

Dave Milbourn
                                            Participant
                                              @davemilbourn48782

Colin
                                              Points well taken but it has to be green. I have no choice in the matter. I've bought some Cuprinol Ultimate Wood Treatment and I used it on the garden shed which we bought for Liz's tools. It's a vast improvement on the old water-based stuff we used to see [Ronseal Fence-life springs to mind] and the water just beads up and runs off it after a couple of coats. It also gets excellent user reviews – if you can believe them. Cedar apparently has its own internal oils and resins which help greatly with repelling water, so I reckon I should be OK for five years or so. After all, I have little choice!

Tim
                                              The guy who delivered it says that the joints are all CNC-machined and very closely fitting, so experience in putting them together will make the job a lot quicker for everyone.

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Dave,

Green, oh dear but needs must I suppose. Yes, Cedar is inherently rot resistant.

What colour will the inside be?

Colin

Paul T
                                                Participant
                                                  @pault84577

Colin

I have a sneaky preview of the interior.

Image result for classic pub interiors

Paul beer

Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627

No Paul,

It's one of these depending on how much money is left in the budget…

workshop 2.jpg

workshop 1.jpg

Paul T
                                                    Participant
                                                      @pault84577

Colin

I do like the pond in the cave.

Paul

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)