Spot the missing workshop

Advert

Spot the missing workshop

Home Forums Gallery Spot the missing workshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Dave Milbourn
    Participant
      @davemilbourn48782

As a few folk know, we moved house in February and I had to leave my beautiful workshop behind. There is nothing comparable in the new place (Liz flatly refused my imploring to use one of the spare bedrooms) so I've having a log cabin built in a scruffy corner of the garden which I managed to scrounge. This is progress to date c/o Russell and Paul of RH Landscapes.

20 may 01a.jpg

1 june 02a.jpg

Tiger Sheds' input starts on Friday 22 June when the parts are delivered. That's when the fun really starts! More pictures as events unfold…

Dave M

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782
        Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Dave

A very nice piece of flagging and a perfect base for a workshop.

Just don't forget to leave access for that manhole.

Paul wink

Cookie
          Participant
            @cookie15923

Dave

Hope your workshop ends up as just your workshop and not as in my case a workshop / garden center . My wife does all the gardening so i bought her a small shed when we moved hear ,i just wish i got her a bigger one . DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE .

Dave wink

Dave Milbourn
            Participant
              @davemilbourn48782

Paul
              Sod's Law says that if I don't put a hatch into the floor of the cabin then I'll regret it, even though it's only access to a single rainwater drain running to a soakaway. No "disposable" nappies or baby-wipes down there! Of course once I've struggled to fit a decent hatch and cover it up neatly I shall never need access to the inspection cover beneath – that's Sod's Law too!
              Dave
              I thought of that a long time ago, m'duck. It's not just Baldric that has cunning plans…
              Her Ladyship now has a 12' x 6' lean-to ali greenhouse and will shortly have an 8' x 6' lean-to wooden shed for her gardening activities. This will all have been finished prior to starting any work on the log cabin so that Liz's gardening things will already have found their homes by the time I get to fitting out the shop. I may be daft but I'm not stupid….

DM

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Dave

Its a shame that the flagging is complete as, because its only a soakaway, you could have either moved the chamber to a point outside the cabins footprint or simply replaced the chamber with an extended 'rodding eye' which could also have been located outside the cabins footprint.

Paul sad

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Paul,

You don't understand – that is Dave's escape route…. The hot air balloon via a skylight has proved to be impracticable.

He needs to slim down a bit first though.

Colin

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Colin

Ah now I understand.

Paul

btw. congrats on your winning entry for understatement of the year wink

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782

congrats on your winning entry for understatement of the year

Hark! Do I hear the clamour of pots and kettles? Paul – I doubt very much if you could make a success of hiding behind me.
                      Anyway, two flush lifting rings in the floor will be a talking point for relatives who aren't that interested in what else is in there. I can tell the grandkids [and their offspring] that there's a monster trapped under the cabin and that if they lift the hatch it'll break out and chase them. Guaranteed to keep the little beggars away while [great]grandad plays with his toy boats.

DM

Cookie
                      Participant
                        @cookie15923

Permission to speak my lord ,but surly a 8 x 6 shed will only garage the ride on lawnmower required to cut the grass on your new estate .

Baldric wink

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Dave

How exciting being able to plan a new workshop I have lived in mine aka the garage for 32 years ! My wife has the house this is the recipe for a happy marriage I had a result on a delayed easyJet flight bound for Belfast on Thursday at Gatwick managed to get into the left hand seat in the cockpit of an A320 (on the tarmac)

Regards Ray

Paul T
                          Participant
                            @pault84577

When somebody said 'go large sir' I thought……. OK

Dave Milbourn
                            Participant
                              @davemilbourn48782

Cookie
                              Ride-on? I wish! A secondhand Honda IZY c/o Gumtree is what I settled for. Looks a bit shabby but starts first time and runs as smooth as silk. Twenty quid for a new blade and it cuts like a bought 'un.
                              Paul
                              Did anyone ever find out who it was who used to post on here as The Fat Controller? I'm sure his first name was Paul – coincidence?
                              DM

Cookie
                              Participant
                                @cookie15923

Dave

LOL ,come to think of it I bet the solicitor fees have bled you dry {robbing bas*****)Anyway it will be great to monitor the progress of your workshop .

Dave yes

Dave Milbourn
                                Participant
                                  @davemilbourn48782

Cookie
                                  It's expected that you'll get mugged by the professions when you move house. What really annoys me is the fact that HM Treasury made £11K in Stamp Duty and another £2K in VAT on the various fees. As a former revenue man I might have expected a discount!
                                  Ref the workshop fitting, I don' think I'll be able to use kitchen base units like I did at the old place because the window sills appear to be quite a bit lower. It'll probably be a frame of 2 x 2 PSA to support the worktops with stand-alone drawer and shelf units. We shall see.
                                  DM

Tim Cooper
                                  Participant
                                    @timcooper90034

Dave

Having seen the previous workshop for myself I was very envious. Your Log Cabin workshop might give me some ideas for a workshop after our house move next year. I do my modelling in our loft conversion as my shed / workshop is too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

Tim

PS

The Fairey Huntsman is coming along, I have just stated adding the resin and cloth to the hull. Had a problem with the cabin roof but getting it resolved now.

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Very exciting, a new workshop. I don't see a struggle to fit a floor hatch. Imagine it was a boat deck and you needed to access the Gin store…

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Gin Ashley? No,No, No – Dave is a Jack Daniels man through and through.

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                        Participant
                                          @davemilbourn48782

I fear Mr Trump's actions may have made that prohibitively expensive, so I have four 1L jars of rhubarb gin on the go. Unfortunately it's also very popular with the female contingent of the family, who would turn up their noses at JD. Life's a trial sometimes…but LIDL's gin is very cheap!

DM

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

Dave – good to hear that progress is being made on the workshop so that modelling can recommence.

As long as the window cills aren't too low you can still use kitchen base units – just put a decent backing on where they pass the windows or span the worktop between units at a lower level where it passes the windows.

No doubt you've got it all sussed though.

Just looking at sheds as the existing one is past its sell by date – going a bit larger to give room for spraying.

Chris

Dave Milbourn
                                            Participant
                                              @davemilbourn48782

This is the one I've ordered [12' x 16'] **LINK**

I think I'll fit lower worktops where the windows are so that I can do my soldering and assembly stuff sitting down with natural light. There will be a free-standing full-height bench 1200 x 600 in the middle of the floor area to serve as my building bench, and I will have similar height worktops along the remaining wall space. Chuck in a couple of lockable metal cabinets, two 5' LED strip lights and some shelving and the job's a good 'un. It's going to take a lot of painting first though!

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 04/06/2018 10:22:47

Banjoman
                                              Participant
                                                @banjoman

Dave,

Very interesting indeed, and thanks for sharing progress on your workshop with us!

Do you plan to have the cabin additionally insulated and/or heated in any way?

Mattias

Dave Milbourn
                                                Participant
                                                  @davemilbourn48782

Hi Mattias

Nice to hear from you again.
                                                  I think that initially I won't bother with any insulation – this for two reasons. First is that the cabin is made from quality timber which is 44mm thick [c/w my last shed which was 12mm T&G] and leaves no gaps for drafts, while the roof is 19mm thick with additional wooden shingles. The door and windows are double-glazed and have rubber seals around the edges. None of the display cabins I've seen has had any form of insulation so I'll leave it as supplied to start with. The other reason is expense! This thing is already costing me an arm and a leg and I'd like some limbs left over to build my models.
                                                  The method of heating the old brick workshop was a 2KW fan heater which brought it up to temperature pretty quickly and could be set to switch on and off using its own thermostat as required. I'll begin with that same heater.

Dave M

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Mmm Dave, you might want to rethink the insulation!! Those buildings are (I would guess) mainly used in the warmer weather and in winter you will find it bloomin' freezing and in the summer maybe even too hot for when spending extended time in there with the sun beating down on the roof.

Obviously it will be easier to install it now rather than later if fitting units and you don't want to be covering electrical cabling with insulation.

With that size it will make a cracking workshop.

Chris

Dave Milbourn
                                                    Participant
                                                      @davemilbourn48782

Chris
                                                      I researched insulating just the roof and found that while the cost of the insulation was affordable the price of cladding over it with T&G timber was not. **LINK** I don't want to use a plain sheet covering because the "planked" internal ceiling is very attractive. I'll give it a season without any insulation and see whether the hottest and coldest conditions warrant the expense. It might be cheaper to buy a portable aircon unit!
                                                      Dave M

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)