Spot the missing workshop

Advert

Spot the missing workshop

Home Forums Gallery Spot the missing workshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Dave Milbourn
    Participant
      @davemilbourn48782

Aussie John and his mate Ray had the roof on before they left – half an hour ago. These guys had already built one log cabin in Sleaford before they got here, and that's about 40 miles away!
      More on Friday when, to my shame, I shall be guzzling beer with Irish Dave while Aussie John and Ray are boarding the floor and shingling the shingles – or whatever you do to them.
      After that I guess it's all down to me……unless that family "paint and barbeque" evening ever happens.

DM

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Dave

NEVER EVER be shamed about drinking beer, you have worked hard to get where you are and no one has the right to belittle your weekly pint.

Paul

btw; I noticed that the second log up on the left hand side of the shed is upside down.

Edited By Paul T on 27/06/2018 17:16:25

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Yes, I agree it's sometimes best to leave it to the experts, they will do it better and quicker. This particularly applies as you get older and less agile.

Having said that, I have spent four hours today in the blazing sun lying on the grass cleaning out and repainting the inscription on my parent's memorial. My Sister and Brothers had noticed that the expensive gold leaf applied in 2002 had mainly flaked off and wanted something done about it. In this instance a professional job inviolving carting the stone off for attention would be £500+ whereas a repaint, even using the expensive Ardenbrite system after raking out the engraving with my Dremel will come in under £100. Sister and Brothers are not really equipped to do the job so it's back tomorrow to maybe finish it although a further session may be needed. Next time I compose an epitaph I will make it a bit shorter I think.

Colin

Cookie
          Participant
            @cookie15923

Looking great Dave .

wink

Dave

Tim Cooper
            Participant
              @timcooper90034

Dave

Looking great.

I have their brochure at the side of my chair, my wife says they look just the thing ! Not sure if that's for a workshop or for me to live in!

I think I have changed my mind about putting one up myself.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 27/06/2018 19:52:03

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Sure will look great!

Chris

chez dave.jpg

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

Tim
                  It was really an effort to watch John and Ray at work in 26° heat but I stuck to it manfully and they eventually finished. You're always welcome to pop round and have a shufti if you're ever out Lambley way. It's quality stuff.
                  Chris
                  I already have the Fairey poster but if you provide the three x 1L bottles of JD in the picture then you and Helen are welcome to the workshop-warming.
                  Paul
                  No it isn't, you silly boy. Now go and stand in the corner until I say you can come back…
                  Colin
                  I would say never volunteer, especially where relatives are involved. No-one ever says "thank you" because you were somehow expected to do the job.

DM

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Quite right Dave, it becomes sort of expected due to your unique skills. Still, when my time comes I want to be sprinkled; that way if the wind is in the wrong direction you still get to go home with your loved ones.

Your edifice is most impressive, you must be champing at the bit to get inside. Are you running an overhead power supply from the house?

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782

Colin
                      If you look very carefully at the photos you'll see at the front corner nearest to the house a length of armoured cable emerging from the gravel at the side of the cabin. This runs under the paving and into the garage, where the main consumer unit for the house is fitted. An overhead cable would just give the pigeons another place to perch and ****!
                      DM

Banjoman
                      Participant
                        @banjoman

Dave,

That is looking very, very nice indeed!

I also note in one of the photos what looks like preparations for an access point in the floor to that drainage cover that was mentioned early on in the thread …

Mattias

Dave Milbourn
                        Participant
                          @davemilbourn48782

Well spotted. There will be a lift-out section of flooring about 400 x 400 with flush-fitting lifting rings. I'll probably never need to use it but, as was said earlier, if it wasn't there then it's for certain that I would.
                          DM

Tim Cooper
                          Participant
                            @timcooper90034

Thanks for offer Dave. We are still hoping to move next year, assuming we find one to move to and we sell ours.

Originally we were thinking of perhaps converting a garage but now my wife sees the opportunity to get my boats out of the house.

When house hunting I might now be looking at the garden for suitable spot for a log cabin!

Back to the decluttering – it's amazing how much you collect when you have been in the same house for 46 years.

Tim

Dave Milbourn
                            Participant
                              @davemilbourn48782

Album updated. It's down to me and Mr Cuprinol now.
                              DM

Paul T
                              Participant
                                @pault84577

Dave

The superior garden building looks terrific and well worth its two hundred quid price tag.

Paul

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627

I know it isn't an option Dave, but I do think it looks rather good au naturel…

Which shade of Cuprinol green will you be using?

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 29/06/2018 14:45:58

Steve Walker 1
                                  Participant
                                    @stevewalker1

I wouldn’t worry too much about insulation either Dave, as my daughters even larger cabin is comfortable in both summer and winter. The advice I would give you though is to think about rainwater from the roof bouncing on the slabs and introducing dampness 18” above ground. I reseal hers every three years but still found I had to put up gutters to direct the amazing amount of roof water into butts and then controlled it away. The ‘bounce’ hasn’t damaged the cabin but it does allow mould to form on the dull side and looks unsightly.

Dave Milbourn
                                    Participant
                                      @davemilbourn48782

Steve
                                      The guttering will be collected from Screwfix after 12.00 tomorrow, but thanks anyway for you input.

Colin
                                      No option, as has already been said. Spruce Green **LINK**

Paul
                                      I wish.

DM

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Not as bright as your image then. I imagine Liz hopes it will fade into the scenery.

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                        Participant
                                          @davemilbourn48782

No, Colin.

[YAWNS]
                                          CorelDraw has a limited standard colour palette and I'd have to spend hours getting exactly the right shade – it isn't worth the effort for the intended purpose. Green was Liz's idea/command and she's happy with that Cuprinol colour on her own shed. I suspect that 'fading into the scenery' was the main point in choosing green – it being in a garden with predominantly green plants, green trees, a green lawn and green fences. I'm trained to spot these fine details, you know.
                                          If all arguments fail then I shall console myself with the thought that when I'm inside it I won't see the outside. Capiche?

Why do I allow myself to become involved in such persiflage, I wonder? Oy veh…

DM

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Because you invite it Dave, because you invite it.

And you just love it really….

Just wait until you start documenting the fit out – entertainment for us all! It will be a wonderful antidote to Wimbledon.

Colin

Paul T
                                            Participant
                                              @pault84577

Can we look forward to a nail biting 'item by item' docusoap with DM as the hero?

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi All

I though Fairey White with Fairey Blue trim with all chrome fittings would be the standard for a Fairey good size workshop!!!!

At least the fit out documentary will be a 24 carat gold show starring Fairey Dave with his side kicks Paul the T and music by Ashley!!!

Harry

Dave Milbourn
                                                Participant
                                                  @davemilbourn48782

Can we look forward to a nail biting 'item by item' docusoap with DM as the hero?

Nope. In fact I think that's quite enough from me on the matter, at least for the time being.

DM

Paul T
                                                  Participant
                                                    @pault84577

Dave

This is how docusoaps work, by giving us tasters and spoilers to enhance our curiosity and then ending the episode on a knife edge.

'Will Dave paint his shed green?' 'What does Liz think?' 'Will they find the body under the patio?'

These questions and more will be answered in the next gripping episode of Dave..a shed to far.

Paul

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Steve Walker 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @stevewalker1

Ah….the body. I wondered why the hatch in the floor that leads to the storm drain took up so much of the discussion. It’s all clear to me now. Don’t think I would accept the invitation to the grand opening if I was you Paul. Not after the load of stick you’ve given ‘im.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)