RMS TITANIC 1912

Advert

RMS TITANIC 1912

Home Forums Full Size Ships RMS TITANIC 1912

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

Posts re model warship turret operation transferred to separate topic!

Colin

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782

I watched the program on Channel 4 and it seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Then again, there were once published photographs which 'conclusively proved' that the Apollo 11 mission took place in a disused quarry near St Albans……….and we all know there's a crashed Lancaster bomber on the moon.

Birth, death and taxes are the only three indisputable truths.

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

I only watched the first half hour but there was the usual hyperbole and exaggeration I had rather expected, not to mention inaccuracies such as Titanic's after funnel blowing off steam and a shot of the Mauretania/Lusitania.

Seems that one set of people think the plates were too cold and thus brittle and another that they were hot and weakened. Maybe a bit of both, who knows?

But whatever the state of the plating, if 50,000 tons of ship with hull plating less than an inch thick and travelling at over 20 knots sideswipes an iceberg weighing hundreds of thousands of tons then the result is likely be be rather more than just a dent.

As far as speed of sinking is concerned, the further a ship sinks then the faster the rate of sinking usually becomes as the rate of flooding speeds up with pressure at depth and more openings drop below the waterline.

Colin

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

I am not convinced by the supposed link between the 'black mark' on the hull and a fire in the coal bunker, apart from the fact that they are both is the same general area of the ship.

The photo being used as the linchpin for the entire theory shows Titanic riding very high in the water and I would hazard a guess that the photo was taken before the bunkers were filled and that the black mark has a far simpler explanation, it was the probably the result of light impact as the ship was being moved whilst Olympic was being repaired

Bunker fires were treated very seriously and Captain Smith was far to an experienced Master to ignore a potentially life threatening situation and then compound the problem by taking the ship to sea.

Tony Hadley
            Participant
              @tonyhadley

The TV programme was worth watching for the graphical process/software used (by stone soup vfx) to show those old b&w photographs not only restored and coloured, but made into small film clips. The Drawing Office clip, the ships launching and the collision hole in the Olympic were all superbly done. Unfortunately one photograph shows steam/smoke from the rear funnel which is well documented as being a dummy.

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Its a small point but Titanics fourth hull wasn't completely false as it was used to vent the engine room and galley spaces.

The funnel would have produced some steam and light smoke but not the quantity shown in the contemporary photographs, apparently the White Star line wanted their latest ships to look as powerful as the Mauritania and Lusitania, both of which had four funnels,

It also made the ship look more powerful. Supposedly with third class passengers of the time they thought that the more funnels the ship had the faster it would go,

A likely contender for a vent pipe riser can be seen in this funnel although there is no direct evidence to support this.

Paul

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

My money for the big T sinking is the iceberg. How coincidental would it be to have a fire AND whack something?

​Titanic's funnels were also different heights, but u all know that. I was going to make mine all different but I thought that no one would notice the 4 thou` difference!

​Ashley

Dave Milbourn
                  Participant
                    @davemilbourn48782

I thought that no one would notice the 4 thou` difference!

Stupid boy! You'd never live it down. And make sure that the OOW has the correct number of rings on his sleeve.

BTW I'm with you about the iceberg. Without that there'd probably have been no disaster at all – but none of us will ever know for sure, will we?

DM

Tony Hadley
                    Participant
                      @tonyhadley

Archive films of the three Olympic Class liners on the William Murdoch site, including the only known footage of the Titanic.

**LINK**

mike farrell
                      Participant
                        @mikefarrell21522

Hi All I have just watched an interesting programme on Quest on the TITANIC and the recovery of articles .It will be repeated at a different time which can be found on their web site .

Worth a watch winkMichael

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Hello Michael

Thanks for the information, I will look it up on the website and see when the next showing will be.

How are things with you?

Paul

Tony Hadley
                          Participant
                            @tonyhadley

Earlier in this thread, the Minicraft 1:350 scale plastic model (of the Titanic) was mentioned. I came across this superb build of the kit from the U.S.A. – 13.5 years in building.

**LINK**

Tony Hadley
                            Participant
                              @tonyhadley

From BBC News Scotland, a Glaswegian is now planning to take paying passengers down to the Titanic.

**LINK**

Each one of the fifty-four fare paying passengers is paying $105,129

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

I keep seeing snippets about the Titanic 2 being built and doing fine in China

Now I'm seeing snippets about the ship being abandoned !

Anybody know the latest story?

Bob

Paul T
                                Participant
                                  @pault84577

Bob

As of July 2017 construction had not started and apparently the guy behind the project has gone bankrupt.

Similiar New Titanic Cruise Ship Keywords

It would have been a sight to see.

Supposedly a full sized copy of Titanic is being constructed as part of a theme park in China.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
                                  Participant
                                    @bobabell2

Thanks Paul

Well, that's come as a surprise!

I thought I saw actual constructional photos of the build, a few days ago?

Along with a magnificent wooden staircase etc?

Are you sure……It's not even been started?

Bob

Tony Hadley
                                    Participant
                                      @tonyhadley

A letter from the Titanic up for auction this weekend.

**LINK**

Paul T
                                      Participant
                                        @pault84577

Dear All

What might be an informative documentary about Titanic is on TV tonight (15th June) channel 5 at 6.55pm.

Paul

Paul T
                                        Participant
                                          @pault84577

Here we are at the 107th anniversary of this most tragic sinking and there is the usual plethora of new theories, newspaper articles and TV programmes to mark the event.

From an Atlantic Ice Pilot LINK to the ever favourite conspiracy theory that it was in fact Olympic that sank LINK

There is a 'Draining the Wreck' documentary on Channel 5 (Sunday 9pm)

We go through the same upsurge in interest every April, which in many ways is a good thing especially as we are reminded of the poor souls who died.

I always think of Sidney Goodwin LINK and the compassion shown to this little boy by the crew of Mackay-Bennett, if you have never come across this sad link to the sinking then I urge to look up the events surrounding the recovery operation carried out by the Mackay Bennett after the sinking as it demonstrates that there is decency and humanity in even the roughest and toughest of people.

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

I think I put this image up previously – taken in 2016.

Very poignant.

Colin

titanic child.jpg

Paul T
                                            Participant
                                              @pault84577

MS Titanic 2

Edited By Paul T on 14/04/2019 14:52:02

Dave Milbourn
                                              Participant
                                                @davemilbourn48782

Now that would look better under 12 thousand + feet of water. 'Ugly' hardly seems adequate to describe it.

DM

Bob Abell 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobabell2

Is the Titanic 2 still being built in China?

Can't find a definite answer on the net

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Titanic 2

Fact or Fiction?

Bob

image.jpeg

Paul T
                                                    Participant
                                                      @pault84577

Hello Captain Bob

From what I can gather there are two projects on the go, one is being built in China link as a static amusement park hotel and museum. The other is a fully working replica for the Blue Star line but has been beset with financial problems link

Usual disclaimers apply as this 'research' only took 2 mins.

Paul

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 103 total)