Yachting Monthly Eventide

Advert

Yachting Monthly Eventide

Home Forums Sailing Models Yachting Monthly Eventide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

lysander3.jpgHi George,

Yes I do recall saying that about a sailing boat with bars poles 😀 I do have the ideal boat for that concept, built the Percy Blandford 17' Lysander at 1/4 scale around 45 years ago !! Never could throw it away, she is 50" long and has steel bilge keels but not heavy enough for the scale rig, it has a stern tube & prop so I may finish her off to motoring condition some day 😎

regards Raylysander1.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 06/09/2020 07:33:55

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 06/09/2020 07:50:56

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

50" !! wow…"space for a pony" -as Hyacinth Bucket would say.

Georgeemotion

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

Pressing on with the brass rudder blade being soft soldered to the stock, with the skegimg_20200910_130316.jpg it's the only way fixing it insitu 😀👍

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

Coming along very nicely indeed.

I have a fear of building movable things in permanently so I would have chickened out and made the skeg with a removeable heel fitting.

Will that rudder be big / deep enough for sailing or are you planning to fit an extension TB style?

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hello Tim,

Yes your right 😀 not enough thought on that rudder, I'm fairly good at building problems in !! She is fairly a fairly small model, I hadn't given much thought to access to the servo either , which is now tucked under the rear cockpit deck , wish I had built her slightly larger now. Extension rudder is a possibility if needed 👍

We have stayed at Ilfracombe this weekend took many photos of MS Oldenburg the Lundy island ferry maybe a contender to build a small ship 😎,

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi All,

Fair progress with the cockpit, rear cabin bulkhead and brass chain plates fixed with 10ba bolts & nuts and half the foredeck glued and pinned, I'd better order some sails from Frankimg_20200919_210116.jpg soon 😀

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Eventides coming together fast now, mahogany cabin sides & front in place with a coat of varnish to protect the brightwork from the painting, I'm going to make the whole cabin roof removable for Access to the lever servo winch and the pin to retain the fin keel. I didn't make Wild Duck with enough access so we do live & learn 😀

Regards Rayimg_20200922_150620.jpg

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Looking very good Ray. We're eager to see some colour on the hull…..this weekend?

George

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

I have been using a more remote servo location on the last few models, so I can get to them easily.

Using aircraft snake line outer tube and garden wire for the inner (greased) is straightforward and allows you to put the servo almost anywhere. It also then gives you a longish run so you can fit the brass screwed insert from an electrical connector to connect a) the two halves of the wire and provide adjustment and b) to actually use two halves of a control rod to ease installation.

Coupled wiTh a nylon clamp-on tiller, which can be fitted by feel if necessary it makes life much easier.

Ashley

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Oops. Previous post didn’t show before I made a duplicate! However…..

Nice Ray. You are at the finished all in wood stage which always looks attractive

Edited By ashley needham on 24/09/2020 08:28:04

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Still some more mahogany to be fitted with rubbing strakes etc,

Here is my top tip for making the cabin roof insitu, make the subframe fit the opening and clingfilm the joint before the top sheet is glued in place, only an old aeromodelling trick for building wing root fillets, still works hopefully

Regards Rayimg_20200924_125950.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Eventide in the paint shop on the drawing of the next project 😀 MV Oldenburg, fancy a small ship ??

Oh yes and I ordered her  sails from Frank at Nylet today 👍

Regards Rayimg_20201015_204415.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/10/2020 20:54:26

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Looking sweet Ray

Do you really go to work as well! smiley

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes, but not much of a commute these days, set up office in the back bedroom, handy if your waiting for a coat of paint to dry 😀 I think office working is a thing of the past now !!

Regards Ray

Peter Vinton
                                Participant
                                  @petervinton69315

Could you show how you rig and set up the controls please, I'd like some ideas for the Hunter Europa I've built!

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Peter,

My plans for the YM Wild Duck are available from Sarik, and has a simple cruiser rig.

Regards Raywd48.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Cabin glazing in progress, with most of the painting complete, fixtures & fittings next 😀

For anybody new watching Formula 560 canopy glue is brilliant and drysimg_20201019_163854.jpg clear so acetate Windows are a doddle 👍

Frank at Nylet is so busy making sails it will be 8 – 9 weeks before they arrive…..

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Blimey, you'll have another model built by then! smiley

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Just been reading back through your build. How do you decide on the number of bulkheads to use? I assume it's based on the shape of the hull and the number required to achieve it and smooth curves? 

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 20/10/2020 21:56:52

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

The frames on Eventide are equally spaced at 2ft centres which is 2" for the model, or just what looks right, some designers have much larger spacing but the danger is you get a banana boat with different shape sides, does that make sense, the first post shows my draft, I had to make an interim bulkhead for the cabin which was retro fitted when the hull was complete 😀

regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 20/10/2020 22:42:53

Chris Fellows
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ray

Yes, that does make sense. I forgot that you had the details of the full-size boat.

I did get a copy for interest but couldn't find a Fairey in it! smiley

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi All,

Remember this one ?? well the sails have arrived from Nylet, and very nice they are, this is the third set I've had made by Frank and worth every penny they come rolled in tube and take a while to uncurl once hung upeven sails mast.jpg. The original Eventide mast would have been made from solid or built up timber I have glued 2 pieces of spruce together and planed down to a slight taper at the top, fittings next

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                                                Participant
                                                  @timrowe83142

Very pretty Ray

Are the sails woven cloth? If so, do you know how many grams per square metre?

Like the cradle too. Very authentic

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Yeah, neat cradle.

I shall be using Nylet for when I need sails.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Tim & Chris,

The sails are white dacron, but I'm not sure about what the weight & if woven but I will find out for you

The yard cradle pinched from Wild Duck, she doesn't mind as she has her own shelf/stand over our staircase with my sailing barges, the management has lodged a complaint about the number of boats in the conservatory !! but if have put some Christmas lights on the Dragon Flite which has eased the situation

Stay Safe Guys,

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 123 total)