Yachting Monthly Eventide

Advert

Yachting Monthly Eventide

Home Forums Sailing Models Yachting Monthly Eventide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Lancaster
    Participant
      @eddielancaster

Frank only lists 3.5 oz Dacron so I assume that is the weight he uses for his sails.

Eddie.

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Ray – One of our sons has been back with us since the start of the lockdown which meant that my ARTR yacht and Club 500 race boat moved out of his bedroom and into the lounge. They were then evicted to make room for the Christmas tree and are now in the guest bedroom along with two more race boat aquisitions and were joined by the River Cruiser and Huntsman 28 builds. Sometimes the bed also enjoys the company of the Huntsman 31 and Swordsman when space is required on the building board. The management hasn't said anything so far (apart from the odd sigh and glare!) but give it time! The immortal words "and where's that one going?" have been uttered though on more than one occasion when either another build starts or a large parcel arrives!

One of DM's Huntresses did take up residence in the lounge on top of the bookcase about 2 years ago and seems to have made it itself a home there!

Eddie – good to hear from you again, not heard much from you on here for awhile.

Chris

guest bedroom.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 17/12/2020 22:02:02

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Hi Ray…..Nice 'yard cradle'! Everyone seemed to notice that first! Nice sails too! Boat's not bad either!smiley.

Sails looked at first to have been starched with built-in 'camber' (can't remember if that's the right word so early in the morning) but see from your text that they've been rolled up for a while.

For what it's worth, the sail sailcloth that I have, came from CMB. Armati -"sail cloth for modern yachts". I think it's nylon -not sure- but deffinately synthetic. Bought also some dark blue cloth from CMB, that's from CAP Maquettes and is 100% cotton. It'll be a few more months before the sewing maskin needs to be plugged in.

Is your Jet Provost / aircraft arsenal pictured in some other forum? I'm impressed by the number of different projects you have goingsmiley

George

Edited By gecon on 18/12/2020 07:28:35

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Chris/George,

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with model storage issue's

I sneaked a couple of aeroplanes into the picture of Eventide, the little Tony Nijhuis ducted fan JP & a Flying Scale Serieseven jp lysander.jpg KK Lysander, bit of a test build really to see if I could still build with 1/16" square balsa

Regards Ray

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

Well Ray, I think you'll be pretty buisy keeping that J-P straight and level ! -unless you have a giro or two in your R/C system?

George

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi All,

Taking a break from the fittings and painting Oldenburg, not the a finished job just yet but pretty close, almost ready for me to sail off into the sunset The foresail will be self tacking on a horse, and the lever arm servo will control the main sheet also from a horse across the back of the cockpit as did the original.

Next sailing project to rig & sew the sails for will be my Thames Barge Portlight !!

Regards Rayeventide sails jan 21.jpg

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

With two horses on board you'll need some hay and oats available in the cockpit! Sorry, just had to say something daft before the Bristol Cream sets in.

Come to think of it, we're on a diet so it'll be straight to the Pinot Noir at sundown -which was a while ago in fact. Oh it's a hard life!

Wish all a pleasant weekend,

George

PS, The Eventide really is an  attractive subject. Very well done, Ray.

Edited By gecon on 29/01/2021 16:28:47

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi George.

As long as the sun is over the yardarm your in the clear, Alcohol sales everywhere must be going through the roof ? drinking our way to the spring

Glad you like Eventide, I'm thinking about something more modern next maybe a Spring 25 from Howards Way the tv series !!

Regards Ray

Chris E
                    Participant
                      @chrise

That is going to look really nice on the water. To my eye it is much more interesting than more modern shapes.

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes I have to agree with you she is a pretty little boat, I had forgotten how pleasing a timber mast can be compared to these days of aluminium & carbon fibre spars, my dad was always building boats in the garden back in the 60's & 70's some of it must have rubbed off on me

Regards Ray

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

Ray, you do realise that building a Spring 25 will entail 'stooping' to an aluminium mast?wink 2.

I must say that I'm very impressed by the alu' spars I bought for the Fisher. Although I did have to compromise and use the same dimension for main and mizzen.

Have a fine weekend,

George

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Nearly finished this build with the detachable aluminium/lead bulb keel 2 lbs fitted, the build stand is extended with ply to allow her to sit higher up in the world, I'm thinking Easter could with luck be the beginning of our season at the Chantry MBC at Bluewater Shopping Centre in Kent

Regards Rayeventide on ext stand.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                            Participant
                              @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, she does look good,I like the colour scheme.We should be able to meet in pairs from next Monday as we can spread ourselves around the lake and not everyone will want to turn out just yet.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe
                              Participant
                                @timrowe83142

Bags of character Ray. I like it a lot.

Are you the jigsaw fan or your dearly beloved.

Tim R

timg
                                Participant
                                  @timg12590

Well done Ray , another quality build .

Can you post a few pics of her maiden sail pls

Thanks

Timg

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

Lovely traditional lines and a very smart looking boat. I’m sure she will look perfect on the water.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

eventide bw 1.jpgHi All,

Just to let you see Eventide finally on the water this weekend for her first proper voyage, I think she will need some heavier crew in the cockpit to lift her nose slightly, All in all pleased with the bigger sister to Wild Duck, who by the way I met one of our new members Phillip AKA ( Philby on here) at Bluewater Chantry Club eventide bw2.jpgwho is building WD, good luck

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

I do like the look of a scale yacht and especially one in a larger scale such as this. It just looks so relaxing on the water!

One of my all time favourites was a model built by a gent from Kirklees many years ago which was a scratch build of a real vessel by the name of The Brian Hartley. The vessel had been converted from a trawler into a yacht and made a very interesting and attractive model that sailed beautifully.

12-10-08-63wiltonparkyachtbrianhartley6.jpg

12-10-08-65wiltonparkyachtbrianhartley8.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Looks really good Ray.

Are the sails self-tacking or servo operated? Looking to nick for the Fisherman!

Chris

Tim Rowe
                                          Participant
                                            @timrowe83142

Another gem Ray.

Chris. I think Ray is controlling the main only leaving the jib to self-tack. The main is much larger than the jib so shouldn't affect the downwind performance that much.

Looking forward to seeing your Faireys on the water.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Chris/Tim,

Yes only a self tacking jib on a horse, she hasn't have much sail area really, and yes a standard good quality AVOX servo with a 3" brass extension lever lets the main out enough for reaching & running.

Yes lets see on of the Faireys finished and the Fisherman started

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 08/06/2021 08:19:20

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

The eventide looks really super Ray.

If you can get at the inside of the transom, maybe you can glue on wheel ballancing weights? Halfords?

George

timg
                                                Participant
                                                  @timg12590

Hi Ray

She looks beautiful on the water ( and off the water ), the perfect weather for sailing st the moment.

It would be great to see your Wild duck sailing with her .

Timg

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi Den,

This will show you what's involved in building an Eventide.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All

Happy Christmas to all forum contributors and followers

Sorry about the photo it was dark !!

Looking forward to fair breezes in 2023.

Regards Rayeventide lights.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)