Yachting Monthly Eventide

Advert

Yachting Monthly Eventide

Home Forums Sailing Models Yachting Monthly Eventide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi All,

Yet another furlough build from my favourite era the Maurice Griffith's Eventide a classic 24' home build design from the early 1960's

Regards Rayeventide 1.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

24 ft Sloop 1/12 th scale

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Hi Ray, so there it is! I had to go back to Google to find out what 'furlough' was blush . I must start reading more.

What scale are you going to build to? 1:12th? 1:6th ?!!

George

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi George,

Sorry I should have explained, here i n the UK 8 million of us are being paid by our government to keep the economy going until our work becomes available again.

Eventide will be 1" – 1 '. 1/12th scale the same as my other Yachting Monthly design Wild Duck 😄 and will use my standard detachable fin keel for sailing.

Regards Raywd48.jpg

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

OK, I was going to mention that it reminded me of your 'Wild Duck' -which also has a cosy, traditional look to it.

Looking forward to even more photos of the forthcomming increase in your arsenal of modelsyes. Launch in a couple of weeks I suppose!

George

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi All,

Nice wet weekend weather, good for drafting the sections of the hull for the Eventide which I'm hoping will be a pretty little yacht 😀⛵ it takes as long to draw as the build will !! img_20200725_153427.jpgonce I have all the bulkhead s we will be cutting wood 👍

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

Another great subject Ray

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Tim,

There are so many classics overlooked by modellers, I will do my best to put that right 😀 Percy Blandford's Lysander at 17ft long and double chine hull has to be done at some stage 👍

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 25/07/2020 21:13:55

Boiler Bri
                    Participant
                      @boilerbri

Hi Ray. Glad your all well down there below the Thames.

That’s a nice looking yacht. I have a book somewhere on building yachts of this kind. I must dig it out as it has line drawings in it that could be scaled. I have been doing a bit on the sparrow of late but it’s a fiddly job planking the hull.
                      I will probably end up with a bit of filler on it. I bought some of the resin and glass cloth that you recommended. Is the resin air cure?

I like the chine hulls as they are easier for me to make. I will keep an eye on the build. Be interesting to see how you make the keel removable.

Brian

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Bri,

It maybe the same book I'm using Building Chine Boats by Michael Verney 12/6p in 1963 😀

I don't recall recommending a resin ? Which sort did you buy ?? There are 2 part like West epoxy or my preferred water based resin now with lots of coats.

Regards Ray

Boiler Bri
                        Participant
                          @boilerbri

Hi Ray. I will have to look for the book. I bought the water based type resin.

Bri

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Bri,

Yes I prefer it now it's not so fussy about overcoating times 😀 I have had epoxy which never dried !!I

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

As others have said a nice little boat. I suppose you are going to embarrass us again with the speed of the build! smiley

I haven't done any building for weeks blush though have done some drawing and I'm just about to mark out some ply for my new build – you will soon overtake me though!

How did you find going back to work! cheeky

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

My experience during my 3 month trial retirement was the longer it went on the less I did !! I'm sure your in the same boat ? I could never really understand you building 3 boats the same but different shapes 😉 perhaps you need to get on with the sailing boat your planning ??

Work is fine, at least I can enjoy the weekends again,

All the best Ray

Boiler Bri
                                Participant
                                  @boilerbri

My Book was Complete amateur boat building by the same author. I cant seem to place it, however i did send a lot of books to the charity shop in Porthmadog and it may have gone there?

Had a look up of your book and ordered a copy to have a look at.

Happy Sunday sailing.

Bri

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Whilst the time has flown and I've been busy for the last 12 months or so the temptation is always there to leave things until tomorrow as not going to work.

Wasn't intending to build a similar boat at the moment but the Huntress with a stern-drive sent me down that route but with something different to get the enthusiasm going again. The motor sailer will be a winter build as to be honest I never intended to do any model building in the summer as there's other things to do outside. The Huntress is a lot simpler (well apart from the drive) and I can do a bit when the weather is not so good.

Cheers, Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes I can see where your coming from with building in different seasons, I have always been in a rush to build a model before I loose interest and start something else !! But I do need to relax at some stage, and will probably go back to locomotive building as it takes longer 😀 but the price of castings is staggering these days !!

Keep going with the flow 👍⛵⛵⛵

Regards Ray

Peter Vinton
                                      Participant
                                        @petervinton69315

Ray, a nice model to build, could I ask where you obtained the plans from? I've often thought of making a model of the YM Senior.

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Peter,

The book is Building Chine Boats by Michael Verney 1962 12s 6d lines drawing of the YM Senior is included, another classic home build 😀

Regards Ray

Boiler Bri
                                          Participant
                                            @boilerbri

My book arrived to day. Its an easy read as there are not too many pages.

Ray,

How are you scaling the drawings? Measurement taken from the book?

Brian

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Brian,

I photocopied the general arrangement and plan view enlarged to the 1" – 1 ft then trace onto tracing film, and using those views measure and draft the bulkhead s, I have 3 left to draw plus the transom, then we can get building 😀👍⛵

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 29/07/2020 18:53:14

Boiler Bri
                                              Participant
                                                @boilerbri

Ah that’s a good way. Do you get the deck lines as well? Or is there a bit of modellers licence involved.

Bri

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi Brian,

I think if you have the book everything is shown to build a real boat so it's all there 😀

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

Now with bulkhead s all drafted I have spray mounted photocopies onto some card to make templates to draw round, I find this a good way of checking the sizes & positions of the chines etc before I start cutting wood 😀

My wife forced me to go to Maldon in Essex this week 😉⛵bought a great book, Yachting World Annual 1957 with loads of classic yachts & motor boat designs, happy days 👍img_20200801_151628.jpg

Regards Ray

gecon
                                                    Participant
                                                      @gecon

Hi Ray,

wish I'd thought of spraymounting my tracing paper efforts when drawing the frames for the Fisher. I cut out in card from the tracing paper but spraymounting would have increased the accuracy and saved me some agro. Still, I'm not tempted to start a new scratch build just so I can use the spray!

Looking forward to following the build of your Eventide.

Regards, George

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 123 total)