What I’ve been up to – Many boats and many pictures

Advert

What I’ve been up to – Many boats and many pictures

Home Forums Scratch build What I’ve been up to – Many boats and many pictures

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Participant
      @andyf73386

For a variety of reasons I've not visited this forum for over two years. My PC 'lost' a load of bookmarks a while back and my phone won't allow me to access the site properly but I think I've solved the issues now so here we are, back again after an enforced break.

I've been keeping myself occupied during my 'break' by building boats. Lots of them. In fact, it's getting to the stage where my wife is threatening things… for some reason she seems to think that 16 is "quite enough thank you".

All my boats, with one exception, are scratch built, mostly from rough plans gleaned from the internet or occasionally drawn up by myself. The majority are models of actual prototypes but there are one or two 'imagination' models there too.

Lots of pictures. Enjoy.

abc-ferry.jpgMV Staffa. Imaginary fourth Calmac ABC ferry. 1/72 scale

css-albemarle.jpg

CSS Albemarle. Confederate Navy ram 1862. 1/48 scale

feodor-golodkin.jpg

Feodor Golodkin. Semi-freelance Russian bulk freighter. 1/144 scale.

helpless-dancer.jpg

Helpless Dancer. Used to be an Aeronaut Diva (kit built).

heviz-visibusz.jpg

Heviz. 1960's Hungarian water bus. 1/72 scale.

hms-vigo.jpg

HMS Vigo. Royal Navy Battle Class destroyer. 1/144 scale.

marinef?hrprahm.jpg

Marinefährprahm F47 – German WW2 Kriegsmarine Tank landing ship. 1/76 scale (WIP)

napoleon.jpg

Napoleon. Imaginary fourth ship of the French Navy Charlemagne Class of battleships of the 1890's. 1/144 scale.

ps-mouselow-castle.jpg

PS Mouselow Castle. Again an imaginary fourth ship of the LNER Castle Class of Humber ferries. (WIP) 1/76 scale

sugar-magnolia.jpg

Sugar Magnolia. Freelance Mississippi paddle steamer. 1/43 scale.

thomas-omalley.jpg

Thomas O'Malley. Freelance 1/24 scale powercat. (WIP)

uss-cincinnati.jpg

USS Cincinnati. ACW Union Navy City Class gunboat. 1/43 scale.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that all these models (with the exception of the Kriegsmarine landing craft and the USS Cincinnati) are fully RC fitted, only one of them has ever got wet in anger and that was only because I gave it to a work colleague for his kids to play with. There is a severe shortage of suitable boating areas around where I live and I work some very strange shift patterns so I would end up being a solo operator – or sad old man depending on how you look at it and that's a shame but whatever, I enjoy building boats and it keeps me out of the wife's way so I'm happy.

I fully intend to take a kit of parts over to my house Spain with me so that I can 'keep out of her way' over there too and maybe join the sunday morning team at the lake in Torrevieja some time. Who knows?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the huge amount of pictures.wink

Edited By Andy F on 09/08/2023 01:23:16

Advert
      Andy F
      Participant
        @andyf73386

Fleet additions over the past two years

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Andy. That’s a good looking fleet you have there. Love the civil war boats, love the Froggy Victorian battleship.

I guess the civil war boats are more common in America, but they are an interesting class of vessel and not something you often see over here..same with the Napoleon and ditto seeing more in France!

Lots of people have issues trying to find sailing venues, and it’s difficult to know what to suggest. Rivers or streams are a possibility but require you to have a full size rescue craft for obvious reasons.

although not the same as proper boating, but a large shallow pool could be easily constructed in the (assuming you have a) garden to at least test the boats and see what they look like on the water.

Dont be afraid of being a sad and lonely git if it means you can actually sail some boats!

SUnday morning team in Torrevieja?? Make some small boats and take part!

Ashley

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Lovely fleet there. I always think a working model boat deserves to get it's bottom wet at least the once, just so you can see how well it performs and consider it, working!

I used to turn up at my own club around half an hour before everyone else, before I moved ten years ago, and would thoroughly enjoy the half an hour of peace and quiet and the pond to myself.

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Blimey Andy, you have been busy! I can point to this if my wife mentions anything about the number of boats I have! Saying that I'm not too far off I if I include my RTR plastic boats.

An interesting and varied selection. Like you it's more about the building with me but it's great giving them a run for the first time and then now and again, so it's a real pity that you are so limited on water.

So, what's next!

Tim Cooper
              Participant
                @timcooper90034

Andy

I have 4 boats in my workshop which have only been in the dogs paddling pool

I aim to take them to the pond this Autumn but I think I said that last year. Can't take them at the present as it's full of kids in canoes till Sept.

Tim

Andy F
                Participant
                  @andyf73386

What's next?

general-plans.jpg

Latvian Navy Skrunda class patrol boat in roughly 1/35 scale.

The model is being built for a Latvian friend of mine and he intends to take it back with him when he returns home next year. No pressure then.

It will represent a ficticious tenth vessel of the class and will be named P-10 RIGA.

Andy F
                  Participant
                    @andyf73386

…and here it is, finished and working perfectly.

20231021_1

20231021_3

or at least it was. One of the propshafts appears to have developed a slight kink and it’s binding. Looks like I’ll be taking it to bits again soon.

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

They don’t get much more unusual than that.  Lovely job.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)