Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Advert

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    James Howgego
    Participant
      @jameshowgego39404

Looking good Ray.

I reckon Easter as the speed you build.

Need to update on my starlet progress painted and started fitting out!

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

ver 5 140122.jpgHi James,

You maybe right, the woodwork to build the hull is is the easy part, the rig is something else !!

Well the first ply bottom panel is straight forward as with many clamps it's easy to hold in place but the second panel needed to be tacked along the keel with brass pins while the glue sets, the holes pre-drilled no. 70 drill helps the tacks not to bend as they don't like being driven through 1/16" ply

Pictures in the wrong order !!

Regards Rayver 4 140122.jpg

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

I suspect that Ray is planning to go AWAL again and start flying those 'things with wings' in the Spring . This may cause severe delays to nautical activities and launch dates. wink

George

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi George,

Yes your right about the flying, I've had 6 years of regular model boat sailing/racing with the AMBO barge boys through the summerspoppet 160122.jpg, but with the demise of the organised racing and Covid, I feel a change of direction is required this year. This was my Christmas project Vic Smeed's Poppet at 36" span and a .5cc PAW Diesel should be a bit of fun

My dear wife bought me the new Airfix 1/48th scale Chipmunk kit for Christmas which is my way of planning ahead for 1/4 scale version in 2023 for a 30cc four stroke I have tucked away somewhere

Building model boats from scratch is still a much cheap pastime than RC flying !!

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Ray

I take it you've got places you can still fly IC then? Nowhere round here.

Is your last sentence because you keep crashing them!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Plenty of clubs down this way where you can fly IC models, I was a member of a model flying club for 25 years, then electric flight became available so there was no need to drive 20 miles to the club to make a noise. Around this time I was dinghy sailing at the coast and could keep my hand in flying electric at a field 5 minutes walk from home, still a member of the BMFA for insurance.

I've been RC flying for 50 years and I'm still flying the same model Acrowot for the last 10 years, so no crashing is not the reason for the cost, more servo's, extension leads, covering, wheels retracts, covering material it goes on and on ………….

We also have some pretty good beaches down here in Kent were my grandchildren live which are great for flying.

Where does your neighbour fly ??

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

As you probably guessed my comment was tongue in cheek. smiley

I think my scratch builds would cost more than building an aircraft! Daren't think about the costs so far! Cheap compared with my motorbikes and even my photography though. I have been buying some more Proxxon stuff though lately so the "investment" is increasing!

Neighbour flies mainly at Avon Dassett hills (gliders only) and has recently joined a club near our boat club at Knightcote. Can also fly at Warwick racecourse and Newbold Common in Leamington Spa. None allow IC though.

I will only do electric if I do build a plane. I do have a diesel somewhere from my younger days. Must be over 50 years old now, must dig it out!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes dig the diesel out and get it running, I love the smell of the Ether based fuel, It takes me right back

Well to round off the weekend I have been planking with 1/16th ply cut into 1/2" strips, not pretty but once filled with P38 and glassed inside we are getting near to having a barge hull

Regards Stay Safe , Rayver 6 160122.jpg

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Ray, aircraft have always been my 'thing' too. BUT, the weather in SW Norway is usually windy/chilly and the summers are always short. Eventually I lost heart and gave up the fight against nature!

Yacthing fits the bill better for my wife and I at our age now. We can combine a few hours picnicing with some graceful sailing and whizz home again for afternoon…er….coffee… on the balcony. After this Colin archer build it'll be trainset in the store room i think.

George

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Well we have"lift off" in a manner of speaking ! not the the most fun I've ever had planking with 1/16" ply but does make a strong job in the end, even if I have to go and buy some polyester resin to reinforce the bows and stern. I didn't fancy my chances of making a neat job planking on the the stem, so block balsa will do the job

Off topic slightly I'm obtaining some drawings for a Victoria Frances 26 yacht if anybody has one or photo's ? nice looking design as a double ended yacht. I like the idea of a point at each end

Regards Rayver 7 190122.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Progressing on with the frame extensions having been cut off, and the main and fore hatch sides in place, which starts to give the hull some more strength, there are quite a few bulkhead doublers to install to receive the deck. I want to locate the keel fixing tube position next from my original Veronica built by Peter as she is going to have the GRP winged keel moulded by Mastman, who can supply most of the fittings If you need them.

Regards Rayver 8 200122.jpg

Chris Fellows
                          Participant
                            @chrisfellows72943

Taking shape nicely Ray, in your usual speedy manner!

And you're talking of starting another build soon! I've really got to start pulling my finger out!

Chris

James Howgego
                            Participant
                              @jameshowgego39404

Looking pucka ray

They are supprisingly shallow hulled boats tbh.

Though they would be deeper. Must have been hairy loaded in blow!

Cheers James

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Ray builds barges much faster than a barge can barge.

Although he saves a bit of time by not having to make buckets!

Impressive construction work Ray,

George

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

sailing barge (large).jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

ver 9 240122.jpgver 10 240122.jpgHi All,

Thanks Bob she's a little beauty ! I think I'm going to need a bigger pen for 1/24th scale

Quite productive building weekend, grotty weather as usual so cracked on with the woven glass cloth & polyester resin to the internal bow & stern planking messy horrible business, but to tight to buy West epoxy !! @ £45.00

The keel support tube turned down from 5/8" brass bar with a shoulder to stop the keel falling out, drilled M5 clearance for the stainless studding in the wing keel, this will also have a cross brace with a washer soldered on to form a handle for lifting the weight of the barge's 6 lbs keel, the hull currently weighs in at 3 lbs.

Fitting the deck panels next which is straight forward but scribing the 6" wide planks in the ply at 1/4" intervals is tedious but will be effective in the end I hope

Regards Ray (couldn't find our Parker pen !! )ver 11 240122.jpg

jeffrey mundell 1
                                    Participant
                                      @jeffreymundell1

hi Ray.

you have worked very quickly on Verona and a super job.

will be looking at your posts

regards Jeff

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi Jeff,

Yes she is coming on nicely I estimated a month for the hull.

This is probably the main structural element of the whole build so far is the ply cross brace which makes a good carrying handle with the main hatch cover off, the 300watt soldering iron made short work of attaching the brass washer to the turned tube which helpsver 12 270122.jpg take the load of the keel.

(The Bakers Flux paste is probably as old as me !!)

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

lh1 280122.jpglh2 280122.jpgHi All,

Some times I have to get out and see a real barge to remind myself how impressive they are and take a couple of snaps

Here is Edith May owned and operated by the Gransden family, based at Lower Halstow on the tidal Medway, she is protected under her winter cover from the rain, which I believe is most harmful to the deck and upper works, she is sitting up on her blocks and looks quite cosy waiting for the spring, as we all are

Regards Raylh4 280122.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

Looks like she could do with a repaint though Ray before going back in the water?

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Chris,

She's floating twice a day on the tide, the blocks give give her a nice level platform to sit on rather than sitting in the mud berthlh5 280122.jpg, I'm sure she will be spruced up around Easter, as she races regularly during the summer.

I've seen on Facebook the Brightlingsea Model Boat Club have model sailing barge racing on the 1st Sunday of the month visitors welcome, which will be worth the trip for me, as they are on the coast there should be a good breeze

Regards Ray

Steve Hodges 1
                                              Participant
                                                @stevehodges1

Edith May is owned by the Gransden family but they have set up a not-for-profit company to operate both her and their smack Thistle, which is called Tiller & Wheel. They are trying a new funding arrangement which involves "patrons" making a monthly subscription payment via Patreon which then gives sailing opportunities. They are also trying to widen the support base for barges by offering free trips to people – especially families -in the hope that they will become patrons and get children involved. Lowest level of "patron" is just the cost of a cup of coffee per month, i both sail on barges and make models, and I think they deserve support. Details on the Tilller& Wheel website http://www.tillerandwheel.com

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

ver13 300122.jpgThanks Steve,

I think I may become a patron, as I can only imagine how expensive the upkeep must be !!

I used to race dinghies at the Medway Cruising Club with Geoff Gransden back in the 80's, but all of a sudden that's 40 years ago !!

The Veronica build is getting there but I'm not a fan of the suggested ply planking which I did, it has needed lots of car filler and a power belt sander to knock into shape in the outside building facility (Shed).

If I get round to producing a build plan for a 30" Westmoreland I will use Styrofoam for the bow and stern & glass cloth it, maybe 2024 project ?

Regards Ray 

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 30/01/2022 18:33:12

tomarack
                                                  Participant
                                                    @tomarack

Hi Ray,

I have to say … styrofoam needs – to use your own words – belt sander and lots of car filler too.

Moreover … those brushed polystyrene balls have an electric charge and hold on to everything … but I still use this material a lot…but the work is fast. I mainly use extruded polystyrene, it is harder and has a finer structure. It works better than conventional soft polystyrene…in addition, it is easier to shape.

I use polyurethane wood glue for gluing polystyrene (and almost everything). In our country, it is the Soudal brand, slightly foaming.

> https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Gundalow/1408763567

> https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Gundalow/1408938133

> https://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Gundalow/1408938142

regards

Tom

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Tom,

I use the grey close grained Styrofoam these days because it's easy to cut & sand, for many years I used BlueFoam insulation for aeroplane building as I'm in the building trade and easy to liberate a few sheets, but seems to not be available now , now the foam I use is relatively expensive from an architectural modelling supply company in London. 

Regards Rayold foam bow block.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/02/2022 11:33:11

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 778 total)