Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Advert

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

• This topic has 777 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Ray Wood 3.
Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330

Probably even easier to cut and shape than balsa but just as strong when it gets the glass treatment?

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Yes, I was thinking that as some of the big pieces I've used are surprisingly hard to sand.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

Just fancied get back to some woodwork last night, so here is the false transom and overlay from 1/16" ply glued and pinned in place, bulwarks next which maybe laminated round some formers.

Regards Rayver 14 180222.jpg

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

ver 15 240222.jpgHi All,

I like making jigs & templates to make life easier, here is a MDF former cut the shape of the deck with 1" holes drilled to take the clamps whilst the 2 lamination of 1/32" are in position to form the rear bulwarks, on a roll now

The clingfilm round the template ensures it doesn't become attached to the barge !!

Regards Rayver 16 240222.jpg

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

Veronica progress update, bulwarks complete now with the former used for the laminated bow sections, lesson learned so far – dont give the deck a coat of sanding sealer too early as the PVA Gorilla glue doesn't like it !! had to use epoxy in the end stated with the stern cleats from pine and the rear cabin upstand.

Pictures to follow, I forgot to upload them !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

ver 18 020322.jpgMust sort out this camera !!ver 17 020322.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/03/2022 09:33:51

tomarack
                Participant
                  @tomarack

Hi,

I'm slowly continuing to build the sb Kitty model, in Footy class (fun 12 "barge model class).
                  I currently have a finished fiberglas laminated balsa hull. ,in the picture the model before lamination.

SB Kitty

Breadth: Beam 19.38 feet (5.91 metres)

Length: Overall 82.13 feet (25.05 metres)

Depth: 6.59 feet (2.01 metres)

Tonnage: Gross 79.00

The resulting scale for this model  is 1/82 

Plans for simple Kitty model from Model Boats Magazine.

Greetings  !!!

Tom

more photos are in MB album – "Minikitty"

img_4151.jpg

Edited By tomarack on 02/03/2022 12:49:00

Edited By tomarack on 02/03/2022 12:57:21

Edited By tomarack on 02/03/2022 13:15:53

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi All,

Good news at last, Richard Chesney invites all barge owners 1/24th & 1/32nd scale to a day at the Phoenix Marine Model Club at Silvermere Golf Club Surrey for some sailing and maybe racing weed permitting !!

This as memorial meeting for our old friend Hans van Leeuwen who has recently passed, and was an great guy who we all miss. (maybe not on the start line !!)

Sunday 26th June 10.00am – 3.00pm all facilities available. Just off the A3/M25img_9187.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/06/2022 09:17:16

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

What an absolutely superb picture Ray. One day I might even be tempted to try a sailing barge but I certainly enjoy watching them.

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp
                        Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 12/06/2022 09:15:55:

Hi All,

Good news at last, Richard Chesney invites all barge owners 1/24th & 1/32nd scale to a day at the Phoenix Marine Model Club at Silvermere Golf Club Surrey for some sailing and maybe racing weed permitting !!

This as memorial meeting for our old friend Hans van Leeuwen who has recently passed, and was an great guy who we all miss. (maybe not on the start line !!)

Sunday 26th June 10.00am – 3.00pm all facilities available. Just off the A3/M25img_9187.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/06/2022 09:17:16

i just hope my sailing lifeboat looks half as good and sails haf as well as yout Barge on the water when i get it there, Ray.

its all ready but there is a lack of water in the lake ayt fleetwood…….so am hampered as to its maden sail

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 12/06/2022 21:25:43

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Neil,

I hope all goes well with your Lifeboat sea trials when you can find some suitable water

Richard,

You really should build a barge they are another challenge if you have a go at sewing your own sails, I did the ones on this barge by hand and it took a good few hours, but I was pleased with the end result.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Just a reminder that some of the old AMBO members and barge enthusiasts are getting together this Sunday 26th June to sail our Thames Sailing Barges at The Phoenix Model club at Silvermere golf club in Surrey, 10.00 am start

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Just a quick update, the Silvermere meeting was a great catch up with old friends but unfortunately the extent of the weed prevented any serious racing

However The Chantry MBC will be hosting a Barge racing day at the Bluewater shopping centre lake on 18th September starting at 11.00am, all welcome, lets keep the spirit of AMBO alive (we are weed free)

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

I never thought I would say this,but a Thanes Sailing Barge is on the horizon.

i will be re-reading some threads carefully soon…

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi Ash,

Now you have me worried will it be a Full Monty job ??

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

I wouldn`t break into a sweat just yet Ray…

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

The barge racing at Bluewater will not be taking place on Sunday18th September, the club is closed until after the State funeral of HRH on the 19th September.as a mark of respect.

God Save The King

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 11/09/2022 07:51:52

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

img_20200503_123456.jpgHi All,

As Robert Wagner had asked about the fixing of the removable barge keels, I thought these pics may help, they are both based on a 5mm stainless rod being fixed into the fin or wing keel with standard measurements to the locating pin to keep the keel straight. Here we have both a timber build Veronica and my GRP Portlight barges, it can be a washer soldered onto a tube if you don't have access to a lathe.

Regards Rayver 10 240122.jpg

tomarack
                                        Participant
                                          @tomarack

In the summer, I did a "swimming" test with my Minikitty model, now I have the rigging left, hopefully,img_4324.jpg the model will be ready over the winter. I put the photos in the album here, I also added some photos of the construction progress to my Piscataqua gundalow album..

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Good to get Veronica back on the water for the first time in 2023, she has been in my ownership for 8 years since I bought her from Peter Simmonds, although I have built a few boats over the years but she remains my favourite

Not much breeze at all this morning at the Mote Park lake Maidstone Kent, home of the Cygnets MBC , a good turn out of members, glad to have some reasonable weather, the sailing section are having a get together next Sunday 23rd to promote the sailing section activities.

I just remembered I have Portlight to rig & another Veronica to finish !!!

Jury Service for the next 2 weeks veronica 160423.jpg

Regards Ray

tomarack
                                            Participant
                                              @tomarack

Hi,

According to the calendar, we have spring here, but according to the weather it's still winter with morning temperatures below 0°C.No suitable surfaces for sailing now.

I have made some progress in building the MINIKITTY, but the work is going slowlyimg_5080.jpg

tomarack
                                              Participant
                                                @tomarack

img_5081.jpg

keep having trouble editing here

Edited By tomarack on 17/04/2023 17:39:56

Edited By tomarack on 17/04/2023 17:43:17

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hello Tom,

I like your MiniKitty very much, I hope it starts to warm up soon so you can go sailing again soon.

I'm building aeroplanes for the summer flying season,

Kind Regards from the UK

Ray

tomarack
                                                  Participant
                                                    @tomarack

Hi Ray,

I'm mainly curious to see how Minikitty will sail.

My wife resolutely told me – "this is your last ship…. you have several models of boats, so go and finally put them on the water.".well.. she's probably right…

A long time ago, I tried building model airplanes, but I wasn't very successful. Today, airplanes are really fast for me. I can still control the ships, especially the slower ones.

What I have .. a Lulonga 1:32 paddle steamer model,,(quarterwheeler)img_4901.jpg a small motor model completed last year(50 cm long), then two 1:24 barges, and finally two Footy sailboat models .. and now basically finishing the Minikitty as the third Footy class model.

greetings

Tom

img_4905.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Tom,

I have sent you a message.

No sailing this weekend, not much wind yesterday ! and raining today ! not keen on getting soaked to the skin these days

The next Thames Barge will look like this delight1.jpg

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 726 through 750 (of 778 total)