Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Advert

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

• This topic has 777 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Ray Wood 3.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Evening All, if it was OK for Dixon, It's OK with me !

My new 30" barge sailed well today at Bluewater, lovely sunny day fair breeze which increased through the morning without the staysail fitted she suffers with little weather helm, which shows how balanced she will be with one. Photos to follow.

Hi Tom, Lady Daphne looking good

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 21/03/2018 21:00:02

Advert
      tomarack
      Participant
        @tomarack

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your opinion.

Today morning, the first day of spring we had 2 cm snow outside, temperature -3 ° C, this afternoon was really spring – about + 3 ° C, and snow melted. At Radhošť hill there is at least 10 cm of new snow .. winter..

Now– 22:30 .. temperature dropped to -4 °C again. I will have to wait maybe one month to put my models to the water.

for interest..Radhošť is the highest mountain in the surroundings of Ro?nov .

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK** > webcam Ro?nov square

greetings

Tom

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Tom,

It is interesting to see where you live, a fair distance from the sea ! but you must have good lakes to sail your models, we live in Maidstone around 60 miles from London. We have local model boat clubs to sail our models, the AMBO racing starts on Sunday 8th April at Bluewater shopping centre here in Kent around 20 miles from me, l will let you know how my new barge performs we have the River Medway 15minutes walk away which is handy for testing models in the lock.eden 120516 014.jpg

Regards Ray

tomarack
          Participant
            @tomarack

Hi Ray,

I'll be happy for any news and photos, ( I'm also interested in watching FB> Thames Sailing Barges <blog , which I can recommend it to you..))

We have problems with water, there is very little water in the Becva river in the summer. I go with the models to a local park where there is a bigger pond. It has the great disadvantage that there are tall trees and virtually no wind.

This does not make my paddle steamer a problem, but sailing boats have a steady problem with the wind .

Here in our country are plenty of aeromodellers,maybe car and railway modlellers too, but very few shipmodlellers.. I tried to build aircraft models, but it did not fly. Also, these models are fast enough for me. I prefer slower models of ships. This siuts me well. But I am the Lone Sailor here…

Greetings

Tom

tomarack
            Participant
              @tomarack

H boys,

I gave some new photos to my album TSB Gusty Cat .

Tom

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Tom, It's been raining for weeks here, but hoping to take Veronica out for a practice tomorrow to make sure she is all working before the first races of the year on sunday, good to see your fine work on the new barge, that is an interesting name ? I've named my new 1/32nd scale barge Gertrude after my grandmother

Regards Raybr eh ambo may 16 070.jpg

tomarack
                Participant
                  @tomarack

Hi Ray,

Veronica is very nice barge model.

Gusty Cat.. it is a cat from Douglas Adams book >The Salmon of doubt< ,respective .the front half of the cat..It's so unlikely that I was thinking of naming my second model like that. The cat behaved as if his other half was not missing..

The story, such as it is, is cryptic and surreal even by Adamsian standards. It begins with Dirk Gently, the con artist / private detective last seen in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, being asked to investigate the disappearance of the back half of a woman's cat (the cat, strangely, is just fine, and seems not to have noticed that he's only mostly there).

Gusty Winds in "Salmon of doubts" is an incarnation of Schroedinger´s cat . Considering that it's a cat that's half alive (specifically, the front half), we don't know if the back half is still alive, and he passes a sign reading "GUSTY WINDS MAY EXIST"…

In our country we had more winter weather, until the last days brought us spring.

I do not have a suitable water surface yet …

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 04/04/2018 17:23:39

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Morning All,

The first barge match of the 2018 season is being hosted by the Chantry club at Bluewater Shopping Centre, starting around 10.30 tomorrow Sunday 8th Aprilv&a ambo finals sept 17 031.jpg, if wives,partners,children are not interested in watching many retail & eating opportunities in the warm & dry. Come along see the fun, and if you fancy a go on the sticks see me during the lunch break.

Will my new 30" barge Gertrude be any good ? Time will tell Peter S & Richard C battle for position at Herne Bay last year.

Kind Regards Ray hoping for a fair breeze

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/04/2018 08:55:12

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi All,

The much anticipated first race day was a non event we didn't mind the light rain, but the main ingredient was missing No Wind, shame some skippers made very long journeys, oh well better luck next time

Regards Ray

tomarack
                      Participant
                        @tomarack

Hi Ray,

nice photo .. Peter´s Haughty Belle ….a description of the construction of this white model was in MMI magazine September 2016. I am not sure about Richard´s model( Lady Dawn?).

As to my model Gusty C. ..I putI put on the model (hull) almost the last remnants of special putty.. and now again grindiing..but first I have to fulfill my duties and work in the garden ..

This year we have a big problem with water .. there in our area is no rain and a drought .. This year we have a big problem with water .. there is no rain and a drought .. I do not know what will be with tomatoes,

Greetings

Tom

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

img_9238.jpgimg_9187.jpgHi All

My new barge Gertrude, based on the Giralda 30" hull in full flight ! Photos courtesy of Graham which as always excellent

Regards Rayimg_9179.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2

Hi Ray

Nice summer time shots………In the sunshine for a change

Bob

Eddie Lancaster
                            Participant
                              @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, lovely shots of a lovely boat, not much leeway though!

Eddie.

tomarack
                              Participant
                                @tomarack

Hi Ray,

very nice model , indeed.. !!!

My model Capricorn should finally get to the " big water" at the end of May .

I will race in the "Footy" class with the "Buta 1" model, and with the barge Capricorn in the free race "About Znojmo cucumber".The races are held at the Vyrovice dam near the town of Znojmo, South Moravia. So I'm curious how it turns out .. it's my ship's virgin cruise – and right now the race.I can not test the models before the race, we have little water, the Becva River has only 10% of the flow at this time. It is said that it is the biggest drought in our country in 500 years. The trees in our garden are starting to dry … sad

The work on my barge Gusty C. continues only slowly. Some next photos are on >modelbarge info <=> gallery.

greetings

Tom

tomarack
                                Participant
                                  @tomarack

please look at >

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2060962510851432&set=p.2060962510851432&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Giralda rig in colour

picture from > https://www.facebook.com/groups/1491060737778004/

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 14/05/2018 17:43:21

https://vimeo.com/248075652?outro=1&ref=fb-share&nbsp;                    Red Sails / Vimeo

Edited By tomarack on 14/05/2018 17:50:48

Edited By tomarack on 14/05/2018 17:51:38

Eddie Lancaster
                                  Participant
                                    @eddielancaster

Hi, Ray Just picked up the latest issue of MB, Silver Mist is a lovely boat and a very nice build, if this doesn't get some newcomers into building from plans nothing will!

At the moment I am like a kiddy in a sweet shop as far as my next boat build is concerned, as you know I have two or three builds in mind but at the moment I am drawn to building a Thames Barge, I think it will keep me occupied for quite a while, especially in 1/24 scale with the amount of detail that can be added.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Thank's I hope it inspires somebody to build one

I would recommend Veronica at 1/24th scale by Richard Chesney, I bought mine from Peter Simmonds and I value it more than the boats I've built myself ! always trying to get her to go faster. Sarik do the plans which details the hull, spars,sails and rigging, 7 sheets of drawings, so that may slow you down a bit

If you would like the build DVD to borrow, let me know I'll send it to you.

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                      Participant
                                        @eddielancaster

Thanks for that Ray the plans for Veronica are on order from Sarik, it did read as though all the build information should be there and you have confirmed that for me. I will let you know about the DVD. I bought some cotton material yesterday and some dye so the sails are already covered, but they will be he last thing to make, as reading your posts and Mattias they need to be fitted to be fitted to to the masts and spars as made.

Eddie

Andy Stoneman
                                        Participant
                                          @andystoneman15177

Hi Ray, Ive just seen the pics of your new barge, Well done, you've made a really good job of building it. It looks like its flying along and looking very realistic. About time you had some nice sailing weather, you must have been champing at the bit waiting for it to change.

Andy

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Thanks Andy

I think she will be competitive, we haven't raced yet this year, the weather and prior engagements have conspired against me, we have a match in couple of weeks at Mote Park Maidstone near me I've got my fingers crossed and batteries charged how's it going down under ? New model on the stock ?

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

Hi Ray, just got the drawings foe Veronica,frown they will certainly keep me occupied for some time, but not necessarily quite, I could be asking quite a few questions, especially about the rigging, here is the first one, the rigging as drawn I am assuming is for a true scale model, is the actual sailing rig simplified?

Many thanks in anticipation of your continued help.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Eddie

The rig is all working as per the fullsize barge, that's the main reason I bought mine from Peter Simmonds of the Isle of White, he was a shipwright by profession he has built 11 Veronica's so far and many other fine ships & yachts,

He estimated 2 1/2 months fulltime to produce one barge including the rig !!

I reckon I'd knock out a hull in a month of evenings, but the bitts and bobs take a lot longer, have a look on the AMBO website for useful articles and photographs. Joining AMBO is a good idea, Richard Chesney produces a quarterly news letter

Regards Raybr eh ambo may 16 072.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                                                Participant
                                                  @eddielancaster

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will keep you informed of progress, but I will not be starting just yet, i will study the plans for some time so that I can understand how everything works and fits together.

Regards.

Eddie.

tomarack
                                                  Participant
                                                    @tomarack

Hi Eddie,

For quick orientation I can recommend a booklet by Peter Henin – sailing a Thames sailing barge – sail – by – sail, and maybe Masting and rigging by R Beckett.

For more information at beginning and detailed introduction and more detailed familiarization with barges there is very interesting book by Cooper and Chancellor – A handbook of Sailing Barges. ….of course there are other publications …

Good luck !

Tom

Eddie Lancaster
                                                    Participant
                                                      @eddielancaster

Hi, Tom, thanks for that info on reading matter, I think I am going to be fine with the hull but the rigging is a totally different matter and is going to be an interesting learning curve, but then I do like a challengethinking.so those two booklets seem to be needed!

Regards.

Eddie.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 778 total)