Shandau

Advert

Shandau

Home Forums Scratch build Shandau

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330

I do like that A10 Ray. I've dabbled in RC planes a couple of times, both of which ended in disaster after around 30 seconds. I've always been tempted in trying again but not sure I could handle disappointment a third time. That A10 does look superb though. Have you tried it yet?

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Richard,

Not flown yet I need some larger capacity 4 cell 4000mh Lipos, my standard 3 cell 2200 haven't got the grunt or volts for the A10.

I started flying 52 years ago with a single channel McGregor set and a Veron Deacon with a 1.5cc PAW, If you managed to land back in the same field it was a good flight. Than a few years later my wife bought me 2 function proportional set and I learned to fly a rudder and elevator slope soarer, then a 3 function radio set was borrowed from a friend with a high wing trainer. So it was a gradual process learning to fly it doesn't just happen

Of the 150 airframes I have built since 1970 , I have crashed a few but still love the flying.

I try and fly twice a month to keep my hand and eye in at my local field, you need to practice.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

Planking nearly complete, at some stage it's best to let the planks lay straight without too much twisting , just the tricky tapered steelers to complete

Regards Rayshandau9.jpg

James Hill 5
          Participant
            @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

Watching your planking with interest, (for future referencesmiley) Looking good.

Regards, Jim.

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 02/11/2022 08:10:12:

Hi All,

Planking nearly complete, at some stage it's best to let the planks lay straight without too much twisting , just the tricky tapered steelers to complete

Regards Rayshandau9.jpg

always in awe of modellers who can plank like this, Ray………superb……..sadly i learned with ol;d Billing Boat kits…………and tbh……..they were absolutely no joy to build.

superb workmanship and looking forward to seeing more of the same.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

shandau planks 10.jpgHi All,

Strange how people enjoy the process of model building, I enjoy creating the hull shape as Neil says Billings kits must have put more folk off boat building over the years with the strip wood they provide for planks !!

Well the planking is complete to the centre section, but will need plenty of lightweight filler and sanding before glass clothing with water based resin, now just started to balsa block the stern, decided on sticking with balsa sheet cut to infill and carve to shape on this one.

Regards Rayshandau stern blocks 11.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 04/11/2022 15:40:52

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi All,

This is coming along nicely now

Photo's for Jim (the Puffer)

Regards Rayshandau11.jpg

James Hill 5
                  Participant
                    @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

Following this with interest. Do you use templates to get the final shape with the balsa or do you have a good eye?smiley

Looking good, Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Jim,

I use the deck radius as a template and make sure there is a good overlap for carving, another photo today the stern is complete and filled, and the bow is making progress, I must order some mahogany sheet for the deck ! already thinking about the next build a tug most likely

Regards Ray

James Hill 5
                      Participant
                        @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

Another build in the pipeline? I`m beginning to think you work on auto pilotsmiley.

I`m still cutting out bulkheads at the moment, still solid, nothing out of the middle yet. I`m thinking of using an M600 motor, in which case I`ll take the Cigarette motor out just to get some sort of positioning and prop shaft length. It`s a very low shaft position on this boat and horizontal. If it builds as well as the pilot boat did, I`ll be pleased.

Best wishes, Jim.

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

I know Jim, he embarrasses the rest of us!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Jim,

Plan ahead you may need a cut out in the keel to get the motor low enough ??

Well, the stern is complete now with some help from this lightweight filler from Amazon

Just the front to do now, will have to make a stand soon.shandau12.jpg

Me on Auto pilot, no I'm great at starting stuff but get bored really easily, still have 2 sailing barges to rig etc but tomorrow I may play trains ?? who knows

Best Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Beautifully sanded to shape.

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

lovely work Ray…..you have a feel for the timber, and great respect for it.wonderful.

James Hill 5
                                Participant
                                  @jameshill5

Nice match between the planking and balsa Ray.

As you say, my keel will need to be cut down to accomodate the motor, ( already marked out ) but I`ll line the motor up before any cuts are made,also measure for prop shaft length. Progress is being made, but nothing exciting.

Work on the lifeboat is looking good Neil. Certainly an interesting project.

Been reading the current magazine. Some nice articles in there. Particularly interested in Richards write up on painting figures. I`ve always managed to make faces look scared witless!!! Hopefuly now I can improve.

Best wishes, Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

shandau13.jpgHi All,

Thanks for all the kind words, Shandau is off the board now and sitting in her cradle, next stage some final filling and then the glass cloth, then onto the deck and superstructure

Regards Rayshandau14.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

Lovely smooth contours around both ends Ray. All too frequently you see a tell tale step between the solid ends and the planking but you have a superb flowing line.

As Ernie Wise used to say, "You can't see the joint!"

Edited By Richard Simpson on 11/11/2022 09:36:52

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi All,

We are at the lightweight glass cloth stage It's great stuff as the weave allows it to follow the shape and be brushed through with the water based resin over the compound curves , about 5 coats will be required to build a good surface for primer.

Regards Rayshandau15.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Was going to plank my Faun with bass but have decided to follow your lead and use balsa, especially as I'm going to use balsa blocks at the bow.

Following on from Richard's comment do you find it easier to get a smoother transition from balsa block to balsa planks than say from balsa block to ply?

Do you have to steam balsa planks or do they bend Ok?

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

I think the choice of balsa grade is the key, Hard,Medium & Soft is normally available from SLEC. try and get medium for planking if you can ? Soft bends well but will suddenly break, try and keep you planks laying straight, I didn't have to damp the outside of any of the planks on this one, It's more a case of twisting them as you get near the stem and loads of pins & gorilla wood glue

Just started installing the cambered deck beams from 1/8th ply.

My new wireless set in the background standard set 8 channels dry cell no frills just servo reversing, comes with 2 receivers about £65.00 well happy with that for the A10 Tankbuster.

Regards Rayshandau16.jpg

James Hill 5
                                            Participant
                                              @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

That`s a nice build. Going to be another winner when completed.

8 channel radio?, way out of my league. I have enough trouble dealing with twosmiley

Jim.

Chris Fellows
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ray, I meant to ask about the hardness of the balsa as well.

As well as my Hitec stick Tx's I've got a Radio Link trigger Tx that I use for my race boats which I've been pleased with.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Thought I'd better get on with the working parts motor and rudder/servo etc, but here we have the deck beams in place with 2 large openings for internal access, mahogany has arrived from Mantua Models for the deck so the tricky part is approaching the planks are only 5/32" wide at 1/24th scale so will do a trial piece with the black pen to see how they look.

Regards Rayshandau18.jpg

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

just gets better and prettier Ray……superb

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 24/11/2022 16:21:59

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

shandau19.jpgHi All,

I thought I'd install the 400 brushed motor and tiller arm after a couple of coats of yellow Humbrol enamel, It certainly makes it easier to see what's going on inside before I start the deking. The faithful 13amp pin cut andshandau20.jpg with a brass arm soft soldered on does the job

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 27/11/2022 20:16:41

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)