Shandau

Advert

Shandau

Home Forums Scratch build Shandau

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

Looking very nice Ray. Nothing like a bit of good wood trimmings. The boats of that era were so much more attractive than the subsequent plastic bathtubs.

Did need more maintenance though!

Colin

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

looks gorgeous Ray, as Colin says……

Wood is so special, warm to look at. lovely to work with, satisfying to view once finished, and gives a lovely sence of traditionalbeauty once finished

No other material gives such natural colour and satisfaction when used with finesce and loving care.

you've nailed it. great stuff.

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

Top job and real gentleman's boat .

Harry

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Just my sort of model Ray, beautiful woodwork, brought to life with a lovely finishing job. I've always thought that one of life's simplest pleasures is applying varnish to wood and watching the colour come out.

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

This wintery weather is really great for building, I was supposed to be yacht racing this morning, good luck with that I thought !!

The bulk of the wheelhouse is built, its going to be tricky glazing it ! so I think a funnel next with a balsa core litho plate covered, that should be fun as the top section is recessedshandau34.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi All,

Well this is a nice part of the build, the designer must have been an Architect ? Round deck lantern light & rear rudder access hatch !

The funnel went beter than I expected with a balsa core and Litho plate wrap

May go over the varnish areas with satin as the gloss shows all my mistakes with the brush

Regards Ray (pictures to follow) !!

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

shandau35.jpgshandau36.jpgshandau37.jpgAlways helps if you upload the photos, before posting shandau38.jpg

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

Stunning Ray………..hope the woodwork on my lifeboats comes out half as good.

Anthony Stance
                    Participant
                      @anthonystance12355

Beautiful boat Ray reminds me as a kid watching swallows and amazon's and the big motor crusier similar to this stunning boat

Edited By Anthony Stance on 20/01/2023 13:40:05

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Anthony,

Yes I know the one you mean Uncle Jim's houseboat AKA Captain Flint in the book, I hold Arthur Ransome responsible for my life long interest in boats and sailing, he wrote a series of 12 books in all starting with Swallows & Amazons in 1930, when kids were allowed to have adventures How things have changed.

The graphics were limited in my 1964 edition !!swallowsamazons.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

shandau39.jpgHi All,

I don't know if I'll get away with a plastic cowled vent painted copper ? but made the last big outlay at the weekend on 30nr brass stanchions 35mm high, they should be chromed but artistic licence coming into play but they will have the mahogany top rail !!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 23/01/2023 11:17:54

James Hill 5
                          Participant
                            @jameshill5

Looking the business Ray, A nice elegant looking boat. It`ll look good on the water on a nice sunny day.

Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hello Jim,

Yes roll on the spring and some going out weather ! I'm fed up with these freezing days

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Ray the Alclad metallic finishes are very realistic but they are very expensive for a single job, particularly as you also need their own black primer and clear topcoat. The challenge I have always had with enamel metallics is that, even the gloss variety, seem to be more of a matt finish. I did once though use Humbrol enamel metallic paint followed by Tamiya clear acrylic 'Smoke' paint. The enamel must be left for a good few days though to be completely hardened. This gives a more used patina rather than a highly polished finish but it can be quite effective.

17-08-07-05benainconstruction181.jpg

17-08-07-21benainconstruction188.jpg

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp
                                  Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 23/01/2023 15:05:06:

Hello Jim,

Yes roll on the spring and some going out weather ! I'm fed up with these freezing days

Regards Ray

you and me too, Ray…………hate winter with all my strength.

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

shandau40.jpgHi All,

As Neil says this cold weather is depressing !! no wonder Life boat models are so expensive look at all those bits to make it go !!shandau41.jpg

But the Skipper has visited his new vessel to chase up the progress, he was pleased to see the first section of handrail in place, the builder told him this was very tedious but going well so far ! the waterline is now marked so the paint shop crew are coming soon

Amazing how small a 60 foot boat actually is with the scale crew aboard.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

A slight delay in productionshandu42.jpg waiting for Stanchions from Howes mail order, brilliant service 2 days and I have enough to finish the job

If you need a challenge try building a LEGO catamaran , far more complex than scratch building !! my daughters Christmas present with working foils and steering, I now just have to fathom out how the sails are attached

Regards Ray

Stephen Garrad
                                      Participant
                                        @stephengarrad28964

Hi Ray,

I can ask No1 grandson if you need some help.

Shandau looking VERY good.

Stephen

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Stephen,

yes your right, my grandson helped me get that far !! he reads the instructions which is not me at all

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi All,

The laminated handrails have been a slow process, but the stern is in sight

The top ball and hole have been nipped off the stanchion and the rail is fixed onshandau43.jpg with thick cyano glue

Regards Ray

James Hill 5
                                            Participant
                                              @jameshill5

Lovely work as usual Ray. The elegance of the boat increases with every picture.

Best wishes , Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

shandau45.jpgHi All,

I'm going slightly further with the detailing on this build with screen wiper and clear view screen to the front cabin windows and a drop of paint is bringing her to life now

Regards Rayshandau44.jpg

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

BEAUTIFUL Ray, just stunning……….hope she sails as well as she looks.

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

shandau46.jpgHi All,

The small details seem to take the longest ! cabin doors & bitts & bobs, using Sir Bob Wilson's copper wire rigging, the best idea since sliced bread, I tried stainless fishing trace & various cordage in stock but they all looked rubbish ! There is a horrible bow fitting/roller/anchshandau47.jpgor to make next

Regards Ray

Spot the deliberate mistake ??

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/02/2023 19:47:48

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

she looks beautiful Ray……….the whole boat is stunning!

superb looking model.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 121 total)