Shandau

Advert

Shandau

Home Forums Scratch build Shandau

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

shandau ym 2.jpgHi All,

Well enough of the recent plywood bashing, time for a nice balsa planked displacement hull with some nice mahoganyshandau ym.jpg brightwork, the actual boat resides in the Netherland and is in lovely condition, on the drawing board at the moment drafting the bulkheads

Regards Ray

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

1/24th Scale Gentlemans yacht – James A Silver – Rosneath

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Lovely looking boat Ray. I thought you were going to build a PT Boat next?

Out of interest what were the four you sold?

Chris

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

A cracker Ray

What edition of the Yachting World Annual?

Tim R

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Great choice Ray, just right for classic balsa construction too. How big will the model be?

There are some nice photos and other details of the vessel here:

**LINK**

Colin

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes I've had the drawing for the pt boat printed fullsize at 40" long from Harry's pdf but it's knowing what size to build it maybe 1/32nd scale being 30" long ?? too easy in 1/16" ply may double diagonal plank in 1/64th ply, I have a stash

The 4nr boats which have gone are :- HMS Cossack, Silver Mist, MTB 71 & Invictus of Allington the narrow boat.

I just don't use my motor boats down the lake

Hi Tim,

1957 Yachting World Annual, came across it at a charity shop in Maldon Essex a couple of years ago, Gold Dust like winnig the Lottery

Hi Colin,

Yes those brokers photos on lineshandau2.jpg clinched it for me, but non of the deck I'm going for portlights, I don't like the modern long window as it is now  she will be 30" long 1/24th scale.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 04/10/2022 18:52:46

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely beautiful boat Ray, I'm sure you will make a stunning job of her.

Stephen Garrad
                  Participant
                    @stephengarrad28964

If anyone wants a Yachting World Annual, have a look on abebooks.co.uk, there's 147 for many different years listed for £2-81 + £1-20 shipping for 1966 upwards. I've found it to be a great source for out of print books.

Stephen

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for that information, I may have to invest in the 1955 edition, as that was the year I was launched

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

Some more pictures from a later sale to add to your portfolio:

Shandau Sale

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for that link, I'm going to have fun with the copper cowled vent !!

She really is a lovely yacht, no getting away from the details now

Just having a printing session, I'd better get onto my mahogany man !!

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi All,

The first bulkhead traced from the sections and transferred on to cereal packet card so if she ever gets to being published as a plan I only have to draw round the template, first of many !! 6" beam

Regards Rayshan bulkheads.jpg

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

That's one very nice vessel, hope you download the pictures of the real boat for reference.

MWSnap 3 is a good free screen capture program .

Harry

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi All,

Well that's the tedious part done of tracing the bulkhead shapes onto card for the templates to draw round will go with my cross laminated balsa 1/16" sheet bulkheads & ply keel, which worked well on MS Oldenburg

This approach maybe of interest to anybody who fancy's next month's Jim Pottinger's free trawler plan to build, rather a shame he doesn't draft the bulkhead & keel shapes on the plan ! I think many more people would build them ?? I have built 2 of his designs the Spanish fishing boat & FT Everard's MS Stability.

Hi Harry,

I just "Control" & "Print Screen" screen for photo's and paste into a Word document to print them

Regards Rayshandau3.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Well, I could have gone boating this weekend but seem to be happier cutting out the bulkheads, I went over see Rob at the Chatham Dockyard Model Shop and bought the expensive bits , 10" prop shaft, 35mm 3 blade brassshandau4.jpg prop & Huco type coupling so total spend so far around £30.00

No trains running at the moment, so the track makes a handy shelf !!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/10/2022 09:45:11

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Good progress as usual Ray and looking good. I'm just doing a bit on the painting now and again but will spend more time once the weather turns more.

Do you have Windows 10? If so there is a great program built in called Snipping Tool which enables you to select and copy exactly the area that you want.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes I think we are on Windows 10, but as you know when you work with them all day I don't do anything clever with a computer it's a means to an end

I hope your painting goes well. Which one's going to be completed first ??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/10/2022 13:31:41

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Yes, when I was working and now too, I only learn what I need to, to do what I want to do. The Snipping Tool is worth seeking out though unless your work IT has disabled it if using their kit. You find it via Start and the Search/Find function. I've put a short cut on the bottom bar along with the other icons etc.

I don't know which one will be completed first! Have started on a couple of the hulls and will move onto the rest. Plan is to finish the hulls so that I can try the boats out on the lake and then finish the superstructures afterwards. I'm keen to start on some other builds though!

Chris

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330
                                          Posted by Chris Fellows on 16/10/2022 19:46:58:

Hi Ray

Yes, when I was working and now too, I only learn what I need to, to do what I want to do. The Snipping Tool is worth seeking out though unless your work IT has disabled it if using their kit. You find it via Start and the Search/Find function. I've put a short cut on the bottom bar along with the other icons etc.

I don't know which one will be completed first! Have started on a couple of the hulls and will move onto the rest. Plan is to finish the hulls so that I can try the boats out on the lake and then finish the superstructures afterwards. I'm keen to start on some other builds though!

Chris

I'm pretty sure that 'Paint' still comes bundled with Windows 10 and that has a cropping tool included as well. I find it quite useful and nice and simple for basic picture cropping and labeling.  Always plenty of ways to skin the cat.  Poor cat!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 17/10/2022 09:25:05

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

she has a lot deeper draught than i had imagined, but the lines show that she is going to be a superb looking vessel.

I shall watch with much interest on this one .

Plenty of woodwork to varnish too.

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Yes, she has lovely lines and looks very fast !! the attraction is in the varnished timber and has some interesting challenges ahead with curved hardwood handrails !!.

All the bulkhead's have the mounting peices glued across from scrap timber cut on the bandsaw, the adjustable fence is brilliant

Keel from 1/8th plywood next and cut the notches in the bulkheads to suit.

Regards Rayshandau5.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi All,

Shandau is starting to look boat shape , next stage planking the centre section with Styrofoam bow & stern blocks.

And Ooops my new toy behind it !! Built as the prototype model for an RCM&E free plan recently published, this is an A10 Tank Buster with twin electric ducted fans, designed and built by Tony Nijhuis who was having a hanger clearance

Regards Rayshandau5 a10.jpg

James Hill 5
                                                Participant
                                                  @jameshill5

Looking good Ray,

When planking do you need stringers or do do you plank straight along the bulkheads? Is there a right or wrong way to plank a hull? The reason I ask is I`ll plank the Puffer but my experience is in diagonal planking.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Regards, Jim.

The A10 looks good.

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

shandau6.jpgHi All,

I know most of you have seen me do this before ! but the 1/8" balsa planking is coming along at a pace now

One of the most useful items I have is a 1m steel rule metric and imperial ideal for cutting the 1/4" wide planks from sheet. It was £48 many years ago when I was building steam locomotives, but well worth the money

Regards Rayshandau7.jpg

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

nice lines Ray……..lovely curves……..almost lifeboatish!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 121 total)