Shandau

Advert

Shandau

Home Forums Scratch build Shandau

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    James Hill 5
    Participant
      @jameshill5

Coming along nicely Ray. That`s certainly some interior hull colouringsmiley It was interesting for me to see how you`d stacked the balsa in the last picture of the rudder assembly.

Jim.

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

Lovely job Ray. I always think the mark of a good planking job is how good it looks inside. I reckon yours looks neater inside than mine would look outside!

By the way, 8 channel radio for 65 quid, including 2 receivers! Wow! that's a good deal.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

I sort of hit the wall with this one when the hull was complete, and realised I need to go back to the drawing board and draw the plan view so I could mark the planks on the deck, on the basis that this design/plan maybe inflicted upon the British public at some stage the side view and plan have been drawn properly. The worst part is looming the mahogany upstand coaming on the foredeck to the bows !!

The conservatory has turned into my drawing office and boat store temporarily

Regards Rayshandau21.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 06/12/2022 16:15:02

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

shandau22.jpgHi All,

Looks like a workshop day tomorrow, about 5" of snow here now !!

I'm lucky my garage is in the house so I only need a small fan heater to keep building shandau23.jpg

The foredeck planking is now drawn on the mahogany sheet in black ink, with plenty of joints the planks on the fullsize are only 4" wide

Still I can crack on with the rest of the deck now, the mahogany foredeck bulwark is going to be laminated round a former, well that's the plan for now.

Local train pulled by the M7 passing

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi All,

5" of snow outside, still freezing !! good building times back on the deck and realised I needed to put the steering servo in place with it's linkage before it's lost forever under the rear section of deck, the clevice on the servo still allows for some adjustment.

3 interests of mine in one photo, the Hurricane in the background is finally receiving it's paint job, while my new second hand rebuilt West Country Class passes , always wanted another Wren example, my first one Barnstable was a christmas present in 1963 from my Nan

Regards Rayshandau24.jpg

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp
                Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 11/12/2022 20:33:36:

shandau22.jpg

The foredeck planking is now drawn on the mahogany sheet in black ink, with plenty of joints the planks on the fullsize are only 4" wide

Regards Ray

what pens did you use to draw the planks Ray, and where did you buy them please. cheers. neil.

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

and did you draw on to raw timber or did you seal it first before "planking" it.

cheers mate

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Interesting questions. I have just done exactly the same with a kit I'm putting together and trials on bits of scrap tended to weep slightly when I used either an ink pen or a Pilot roller ball type. In the end I had the best result with a black ball point pen. I only got away with it though because it is a 1/12th scale, anything smaller and the line would have looked too thick.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

whitemarlin foredeck.jpgHi Neil & Richard,

Well this maybe one of the only original idea I've had

I use some disposable Rotring drawing pens which are 15 years old and still going strong, and I bought a set of uni pin fine line pens maybe 6 different nib sizes, I used a 0.3 for the Shandau.

I rub the mahogany down with P180 Hermes SF 168 to lay the grain down, then after some marking out in pencil I make several passes to build up the line thickness this way the ink doesn't bleed.

The mahogany edge strips are coated with oil based varnish and brings out a lovely colour and the planking is coated with water based varnish, which I hope looks like oiled teak

White Marlin is still a favourite of mine

I have joined the local Gym, just off swimming !!

Regards & Seasons Greetings Raywhitemarlin rear deck.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/12/2022 10:38:37

James Hill 5
                      Participant
                        @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

The new build is coming along nicely. A wrenn loco and an H and M Clipper controller, wow, that`s a step back in time! I`ve still got an H and M controller in the loft which I think was the one you could add to the Duette. Could be the same one you have, not sure.

Regards, Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hello Jim,

Well you can tell by my choices that I do live in the past with my railway gear, keep it simple is my motto

I have treated myself to a Dapol B4 0-4-0 LSWR tank engine in Southern livery for my branch line layout for christmas.

Kind Regards

Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

shandau25.jpgHi All,

There seems to be a pre-christmas rush going on with the Shandau build, the removable rear access hatch is now in place, the portholes from fibre washers and the 1/16" X 1/16" obeche rubbing strip are attached, will have to start thinking about the wheelhouse superstructure soon !!

Regards Rayshandau26.jpg

James Hill 5
                            Participant
                              @jameshill5

Looking good Ray, the decking is impressive, giving it that luxury look.

The Jan edition of the magazine is a good read and some great pictures in there as well. You must be pleased to see the Cigarette on view? The variation on your original is interesting.

Agree with the comments on the Kirklees picture, ought to have a frame round it.

Regards, Jim.

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

just loving this…………the woodwork is superb.

and the shape is beautiful.

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Thanks Neil,

It's only a tiddler compared to your lifeboats

Hi Jim,

Your right about the Cigarette featured in the magazine, much more detail than my prototype but he didn't bother with the dummy outdrives so I think it's evens !!

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Neil’s right, that’s a nice shape for a hull, and worthy of the “gentleman” in the title.

Ashley

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp
                                      Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 26/12/2022 10:55:22:

Thanks Neil,

It's only a tiddler compared to your lifeboats

Regards Ray

Doesn't matter whether it's 5" or 5' long Ray, the same amount of thought and work goes into it, and we put in the same effort mate what ever size it is, small or large.

And your model is looking very smooth and shapely.

Someties small is good……..can't work on min at the moment as tp big to find space for……..sometimes a disadvantage.+

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 26/12/2022 16:49:43

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

shandau28.jpgHi All,

Well I'm at the stage I was dreading the mahogany bulwarks at the bow !! this is the worst part of the build so far,

If this goes ok I will proceed, If not it's going on the shelf

The 2 laminations of 1/32" mahogany have been soaked in water and left to dry round the balsa former, this is tricky because of the deck camber, but as long as I get the mahogany colour inside the bulwark I will be happy filler on the outside may save the day

Pictures out of sequence

Regards Ray

shandau27.jpg tell me I'm not the only one building boats at the moment ?

James Hill 5
                                        Participant
                                          @jameshill5

Your not the only one building Ray. I`m still scratching around putting bits together and I`m sure others are building as well.

The trouble is , we all have a job keeping up with youlaugh By the time I`ve worked my way through something on a build, you`ve built two boats.laughlaugh

Looking foeward to more of your progress.

Regards, Jim. Happy New Year.

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi Jim,

And Happy New Year to you I have PM'd you.

Well the starb'd side turned out ok, some trimming & filling lets hope once the port side is dry I can get on with the wheelhouse

Regards Rayshandau29 311222.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                            Participant
                                              @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful Ray. That is actually quite a complex shape you have generated there and not a gap in sight. This is going to look so good varnished on the inside.

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Thanks Richard,

The wheelhouse is rather like a marquetry iigsaw puzzle, which is really an easier way of construction with all the windows and openings, I can't wait to varnish it to see the grain of all the panels as the fullsize

All the 1.5mm mahogany planks cut on the bandsaw using the fence, must be the best thing I ever bought !!

Regards Rayshandau30.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

I think she's beginning to look like a proper yacht now, some card templates to be made to fit for the 3 sections of the wheelhouse, lots of deck fittings and stanchions to consider next, and the copper vent for the fordeck !!

Great morning sailing with the DF65 very blustery conditions, I came 3rd in each of 3 races, it was the first time racing against the experienced BWshandau31.jpg racers, so room for improvement, mainly me remembering to steer all the time !!

Regards Ray

James Hill 5
                                                  Participant
                                                    @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

As you say, it`s coming along nicely Can just imagine drinks being taken on deck on a nice sunny daylaugh.

Good to see you`re giving the other racers a run for their money. Only two places to get top place on the podium!!

Best wishes , Jim.

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

shandau32.jpgHi All,

Well at least the owners have a seat to sip their Cocktails on now in the Med !!

What a difference a drop of varnish can make I'm enjoying this part .

Regards Rayshandau33.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)