Sailing Section

Advert

Sailing Section

Home Forums Sailing Models Sailing Section

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    mark69
    Participant
      @mark69

Martin polyester resin has been around for years it's what boats are made of and most other items that are fibreglass !! A tycoat primer is a barrier coat it stops acrylic and cellulose paint reacting !

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

Oh I thought you had some new poly in mind!! I hate polyester. Stinking stuff that really doesn't like wood very much and you will never, ever see me using acrylic paints, except to detail slot car drivers. And alas, cellulose is no longer easily available.

Martin

Martin Field 1
        Participant
          @martinfield1

Thinking through my Marblehead fit-out. As I will probably be selling all my model aircraft stuff, I might be in a position to spoil myself by buying an actual sail winch.

What would I need for a vintage Marblehead? I am not racing (never see another model boater round here!). I just want a fit and forget system as I am getting lazy in my old age! I will be using a Spektrum 5 function 2.4 that I bought for model aircraft.

Is it necessary to have an extra sail winch for the jib, with separate control?

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
          Participant
            @mark69

Hi Martin nice to read your getting on with you rebuild !! as for the winch servo ,if you having a jib boom then one servo will controller both sails ! I've two on mine as I want to be different a rig this as per full size !! got any upto date pics ??….,mark

Martin Field 1
            Participant
              @martinfield1

Just mulling it all over so far, Mark. The yacht is on the floor of the shed, in it's stand. I have to walk round it to get all the model aircraft out to give back to the old chum who gave me the stuff originally. I can't keep what I shan't use, but there's engines and such I can sell. Then the slot car hillclimb track, newly imported from my son is in the way, but as I still do odds and sods for that world, I need something to test them on.

In a way it'll be a relief to be reducing stuff in the shed. As soon as the Marblehead is up on a previously occupied shelf, I'll take some pictures.

What I was after was a recommendation for a particular winch /winch servo, by name and number as I am not normally a buyer of stuff, but a maker of things. RTR servos are a complete mystery to me!

You will ascertain from all the above that I am not a single type of model fan. I have too many interests. None of them currently blowing my frock very far above the knee if I'm honest.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1
                mark69
                Participant
                  @mark69

Hi Martin there is loads on eBay ,how many turns are you after ? Over the years I've had quite a few hobbies I started with RC boats then went onto cars n buggies then planes and now back to boats ,I've none of my boats but I do have my cars n planes gathering cobwebs ! ….mark

Martin Field 1
                  Participant
                    @martinfield1

I have no idea how many turns it would need. Does that matter? I just need the sails to go in and out!

More important I would have thought, would be the number of Kg it can haul in against a breeze, but I've no idea what that figure would be.

I suppose the best thing would be to buy a cheapy from Hobbyking and see if it lasts. I certainly won't be buying anything at the £65 – 290 mark!!

I built R/C cars in the 60s before there were kits…just bits, like clutches, available. I made a chassis with adjustable torsion bar suspension which handled like a dream, but couldn't afford a decent engine, so I gave that up.

Aircraft is too expensive and too seasonal for me, so I had to finally give that up.

Maybe doing it for a living till recently has spoiled it all for me, hence my last ditch effort with R/C sailing.

Static models take up too much display space.

Vintage cars are now the province of rich gits.

And no, I will NOT take up golf!

Martin

mark69
                    Participant
                      @mark69

Martin I've no idea ? But I've got the max turns I could get (6.5 turns ) and at a rating of 15kg it has a big drum and I need more than 400 mm ether side the pull the jib around the mast ,the end points on the transmitter will control that !! And we're only £18.50 each ,which isnt bad !! …..mark

Gareth Jones
                      Participant
                        @garethjones79649

Martin,

I have used a Hitec HS785HB sail winch servo in several yachts around Marblehead size. Typical cost is about £25 but when I looked on the internet earlier lots of places seem to be out of stock at the moment.

It will provide about 13 kgcm torque on 6.0 volts and a sheet travel of about 450mm if you use the full 3.5 turns. Typically you would need to attach the sheets about 39 cm from the boom pivot point to get the full range of boom movement of around 80 degrees. Its not very fast but if you are not after a competitive racing performance its not necessary to spend a lot of money on a high performance winch.

If you need to reduce the travel you can programme it into your transmitter or if that is not possible, use a Servomorph from Component Shop/Action Electronics.

I have always built up the winch assembly outside the hull and managed to manoeuvre it in though the deck hatch. There is usually enough room in a Marblehead hull to get the whole assembly in. Here are a couple of pictures of a typical assembly.

spindrift 1.jpg

spindrift 2.jpg

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 15/03/2016 20:49:45

Martin Field 1
                        Participant
                          @martinfield1

Gents, that's all very useful. Many thanks. That's the kind of price I was thinking of and that pull figure will be useful too.

Gareth, I didn't realise it was a loop arrangement to which the sail line was attached. But once I have the right servo I can play around with various systems.

I have plenty of space inside the hull and a very large hatch to put it all in through.

It'll be a while before I get this all going as the shed needs organising first.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                          Participant
                            @mark69

img_20160401_212349607-480x853.jpgHi I've been a bit busy at work so I've not been able to update my build but ,here's some more pics the aft deck is now planked now I'm onto the front ……mark img_20160401_212559485.jpg

Martin Field 1
                            Participant
                              @martinfield1

Mark, I somehow missed that post. Very nice planking my friend, as befits such a lovely model.

I have the Marblehead on the bench at last and only today I ordered a sail winch as I put my Austin 7 books on ebay to cover the cost (and then some, I hope!). I'll be epoxying soon if this weather keeps up. It was very warm in the shed tother day, but I had doctors, shopping, etc. and missed the opportunity.

I also have a steam launch on the end of the bench! That arrived last Sunday. I swapped it for a Stuart Double 10 that I couldn't get to work. I got the tug with a sweet single cylinder engine and a boiler and a lovely 1888 horizontal engine that turns on a whisp of air. It is actually a tug hull, but if you change the details and the scale, a Sun tug becomes a very acceptable steam launch. That got some decking and repairs today, but the yacht will soon be progressing. I should have the sail winch servo next week some time. Then I have to see if i can make head or tail of the R/C gear. All that "bonding" stuff twixt Tx and Rx….Ugh!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                              Participant
                                @martinfield1

Well, an odd free hour before lunch, so I hoiked the Marblehead out and dropped it on the Workmate and epoxied it. Using my favourite (tight wad) method of putting epoxy on an old credit card with a cheap Chinese bristle brush and squeegying it on the hull, this way and that, until it all shines. You always have some over, so I did the inside of the main hatch, the undersides of the new steam launch's decks and finished it off with a few more compartments of the Darby One Design structure. Yes, I have a strange mixture of tastes! must be the weather. But t's getting colder next week, dammit. Just as I was getting going.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                Participant
                                  @martinfield1

I have a Litre of HMG primrose enamel, which is intended for a nameplate for my son's Triumph Renown car restoration, but he only needs an eggcup-full, so that's the colour of the boat decided with a nice pale blue hatch top. The 2 colours compliment each other perfectly and say "vintage" so well.

Lots of prep. to go yet.

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                  Participant
                                    @martinfield1

Here she is with mast temporarily attached (held up by son-in-law).This is the deck, Mark, that you wanted to see. Nothing like yours, but it's what my late friend had so recently fitted when he died, so it stays.

Still couldn't get it all in!

I think my friend's suggestion of building a swish custom trailer for carting around these models is a valid one as the mast would not actually fit in our car!

Martin

Edited By Martin Field 1 on 21/04/2016 17:27:54

mark69
                                    Participant
                                      @mark69

Hi Martin nothing wrong with that my friend fine looking yacht nice deck ,that last pic make the mast look 10feet tall ? ….mark

Martin Field 1
                                      Participant
                                        @martinfield1

Odd isn't? I think it's actually my son-in-law who is obviously 8 feet six in his socks.

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                        Participant
                                          @martinfield1

I will have to add a decent covering board to this. There is evidence of some cracking around the area, so a new covering board is inevitable.

Martin

mark69
                                          Participant
                                            @mark69

Hi all I have now finished the planking its been a long process bit testing sometimes I must admit !glad I've done it though (I blame Martin ) I was just going to cheat ,anyway now i I have to stain the mahogany again and start to varnish ,…..markimg_20160424_192358578.jpg

Martin Field 1
                                            Participant
                                              @martinfield1

That's right, blame me! You'll have to be careful staining just the mahogany, if that means doing the covering board and king plank.

But that is such a lovely job. Well done, Mark. I like the radiused ends of the planks where they joggle into the king plank, too. Never seen that before.

Martin

mark69
                                              Participant
                                                @mark69

Thanks Martin do do seem to remember one our previous posts where I did mention I was just going to sheet the deck with teak ,but you posted "that would be a shame if I didn't plank it " so I do blame you for all this ha ha sorry ,but no staining wouldn't be to hard there's a gap between the planks where I will tape over !!!!! …….mark

Martin Field 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @martinfield1

Oh I remember, alright. And I wuz right, if I say so myself<G>

Looking forward to seeing the finished deck.

Martin

mark69
                                                  Participant
                                                    @mark69

Hi Martin you were right and I'm pleased how it's turned out so onwards with the prep for staining. ……mark

Martin Field 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @martinfield1

Hell, you should be delighted how it's turned out!

Those radiused ends are summat else!

Cheers,

Martin

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)