Sailing Section

Advert

Sailing Section

Home Forums Sailing Models Sailing Section

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    mark69
    Participant
      @mark69

Hi martin this yacht is called a dragon of which I build the full size ,my method of construction is near true to our teak deck version , the hull is my firms own the mold we had the full size laser scanned and then turned into a scale plug ,that PIC is old now I've done lots more since …..mark

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

Mark,

I did honestly wonder if it was a a Dragon by the distinctive shape of that cowl. I've always loved the Dragon.

We had one at a nearby boatyard when I lived on my boat Vanity at Burnham-on-Crouch.

Any chance of any more photos?

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
        Participant
          @martinfield1

Just heard that the Marblehead is a halfway 'twixt a Madcap and a Pocahontas, which makes it a VERY competitive boat in "Traditional" M sailing …..if you live in Massachusetts!

Looks like my son and I will have the Dorade and the Marblehead on the canal up the road, or maybe Norwich (Eaton Park) sided pond.

I shall be picking them both up from my son's loft tomorrow.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited By Martin Field 1 on 24/10/2015 23:30:06

mark69
          Participant
            @mark69

Hi Martin we are still building them in Burnham on crouch ,we had the full size laser scanned the turned it into a scale plug ,I made the mold and this is the only hull in existence as we never did make anymore !! ,I build three types ,all GRP,wooden deck (which I'm doing ) and a teak on glass .In the pic the servo tray is in and station 10 traveller bulkhead not yet worked out the position for the boom servo img_20151025_170822803_hdr-480x853.jpg

Gareth Jones
            Participant
              @garethjones79649

Martin,

With regard to your dilemma on radio or Braine steering, it is possible to have both and quite easily swap between the two methods. My wife has restored a number of vintage model yachts and we now have several which are normally operated with radio control of the rudder and sails but can be converted back to vane or Braine steering.

Our normal approach is to fit a conventional drum sail winch and cable loop under the deck, usually built outside the model and inserted through the deck hatch. The sheets emerge via a through deck pulley, usually at the aft end as can be seen in the picture below and attach to the main and jib booms.

photo 17b.jpg

The rudder servo is mounted just under the main hatch and connects to either a Braine quadrant as in the picture above or to a tiller bar on the rudder pivot shaft. The picture below shows a typical rudder servo installation.

photo 13b.jpg

When sailing with Braine gear control the sheets from the sail winch are disconnected from the booms and secured on deck. The two lines from the rudder servo are disconnected and tucked back inside the main hatch, a bit more tidily than shown in the picture below. A second set of sheets are used to connect the Braine quadrant to the main boom as shown in the picture below.

photo 18b.jpg

The Braine steering sheets are normally stowed on the main boom, along with the adjustment bowsie, when the boat is being radio controlled. The method used for vane steering follows the same principle.

With regard the VMYG website, I realise it does not get updated very often these days. However there is a contact address for Russell Potts given on the website as [email protected]. To the best of my knowledge he is still very much alive but has retired as Chairman of the VMYG and taken up the post of President.

Gareth

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1

That's a very nifty method, Gareth. Thanks for the pics. I am sure I'll be pinching that one! I would love to see my Marblehead with the original Braine gear actually working, although I have no idea how it works or how to rig it, no matter how many diagrams and photos I see.

But I have a book coming that should educate me in the workings of Radio yachting.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

Mark,

do you mean you are building full size Dragons or models?

Martin

mark69
                  Participant
                    @mark69

Ha Ha both !but only 1model !!

Martin Field 1
                    Participant
                      @martinfield1

Nice!

But hasn't Burnham changed? And not for the better. I lived on Vanity in the "wine bar" days. Brian Kingston smoking licquorice papered roll-ups, the Icicle race on New Year's Day, getting steward-like service in the White Heart, etc.

Probably all before your time!

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                      Participant
                        @mark69

Yep still a dump !! Thats way before my time,I don't live there I drive from Rayleigh ,best drive to work (in the summer ) nice country road beats duel carriage ways or the train ….mark

Martin Field 1
                        Participant
                          @martinfield1

It was quite a nice place when I lived there, quite lively, but since that mob built the hideous marina it seems to have died. It looks almost run down even, which I never thought I'd say about Burnham. I've seen Ted Heath sail his yacht into town with all the entourage.

I used to work in Hockley and live on Vanity so our trip to work and back was similar. I knew every bump in that road and would give best to no man in my tuned GT6. Happy days.

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                          Participant
                            @mark69

Yes I suppose there all abit like big airfix kits realy ,any pics of what your building /sailing …mark

Martin Field 1
                            Participant
                              @martinfield1

I'll take a few pics as I work through both boats. I'll probably do the Marblehead first as it's the nearest to completion.

I'm a beginner where yachts are concerned. Rigging, control systems, etc. I'm hoping my new book on it will be here tomorrow.

First job will be rubbing the hull down and probably epoxying it. That seems to have been done inside already.

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                              Participant
                                @mark69

Can I ask ,why are you using epoxy !.mark

Martin Field 1
                                Participant
                                  @martinfield1

To fill and waterproof the hull. I don't know what's under the paint, but the hull could do with a bit of smoothing and I have epoxy left over from when I restored our wooden narrow boat. I also have some colloidal silica left to mix a thicker coat where the dips need filling a wee bit.

Martin

mark69
                                  Participant
                                    @mark69

Epoxy and silika will make a rock hard filler ! Prob not the best choice if you want a fair hull ! If you going to re- paint the hull maybe use something else that sands easier ,only my opinion though !!! Like I said before some pics would be helpful ,stay away from automotive cellulose paints as the solvent will pucker up some paints ,most car paints from motor factors like cars southern in Maldon will mix what you want into a spray can and they are water based !

……mark

Martin Field 1
                                    Participant
                                      @martinfield1

Mark, I will NOT use water based anything unless I'm painting a picture!

I have a decent compressor and a selection spray guns and airbrushes. I have a few cellulose paints, but tend to use enamel (oil) paints exclusively. They thin with white spirits and retain a lovely gloss whilst also being tougher than cellulose as celly can chip easily. I even paint my model aircraft with enamels and all the chassis components of a couple of car projects.

The cars have gone and the aircraft are too expensive, hence the return to boats.

On the many static models of power boats I have made, using pearwood veneer for planking, I even insist on spirit based diestuffs, which I hand mix to look even more like mahogany in scale than steamed pear already does. Water based dies, stains, and paint just lift the grain unacceptably for me. And I love the stink of proper paints and stains<G>

I have machinery for sanding and smoothing the hull from my car days, so the epoxy/silica mix won't be too bad, but it all depends how waterproof the hull looks once I rub it down. It may be that cellulose sanding sealer will be sufficient.

Here's one of my Rivas, done as above. Entirely scratch built in 1/12th scale.

760 hours work!

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                                      Participant
                                        @mark69

Hi martin very nice ,good to read you know what your doing seems like you know you stuff when it comes to finishing I've seen lots of models not just boats (I also fly aeroplanes ) ruined because of the wrong filler or paint was used ,hope you don't think I was doubting your ability !! I'm finishing mine with a few (6) coats of international yacht varnish ,……….mark

Martin Field 1
                                        Participant
                                          @martinfield1

No problem, Mark. Call me Old Skool<G> Comes from being a part of a family which includes a top cabinet maker and a grainer/marbler. I grew up with the many marvelous smells of both trades and where the word acrylic meant Perspex if it meant anything at all. My Grandad made his own stains from heaven knows what, but it smelt like Chateau Margot! I've just finished the last of it and he died in 1964! Stain, not the Margot, alas.

I used a Spar varnish on the Riva, but I'm damned if I can recall what it was called. Lovely golden tinge, but got a skin even while I used it. The base of the Riva display is waxed American walnut, matched to look like the wake from 2 Big Blocks. All the fittings are hand made in brass and nickel plated. Windscreen frame was a bitch!

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                                          Participant
                                            @mark69

Hi all does anyone know if there is a cap maquettes supplier in the UK other than Cornwell models ?? ta ..mark

Martin Field 1
                                            Participant
                                              @martinfield1

Problem with Cornwall Mark?

Martin

mark69
                                              Participant
                                                @mark69

Yes phoned yesterday don’t the bloke I spoke to could be bothered mate did not come across as helpful thought there might be somewhere else for the bits I want prob the best part of ?300 going to someone else ..mark

Martin Field 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @martinfield1

Some shops seem to think the world owes them a living. No wonder internet shopping has taken off.

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @martinfield1

Got a chance in the lovely sunshine to sand the Marblehead hull down, by machine…that old enamel is hard!

Looks to be have been nicely made in pine and mahogany.

Filling the keel lead next to smooth it from all its old mods. and repairs, then epoxying

Cheers,

Martin

mark69
                                                    Participant
                                                      @mark69

Hi martin nice job how long is it ? got any more pics topside ,here is where I'm at with mine ,the deck is 1.5 obechi ply onto which I will glue the teak veneer , after some under deck fitting are onimg_20151101_192828750.jpg

Edited By mark69 on 01/11/2015 20:11:16

Edited By mark69 on 01/11/2015 20:12:08

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)