Sailing Section

Advert

Sailing Section

Home Forums Sailing Models Sailing Section

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1
      Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

In "another place", there are two sub sections about sailing craft, yet this forum has none. Why is that?

Martin

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Martin

Perhaps 'another place' need their hands holding more than we do

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Oh, judging by the level of debate and information held and given, I doubt that.

It would just be nice to see it all from a largely British perspective.

Cheers,

Martin

Dave Milbourn
            Participant
              @davemilbourn48782

"If you build it they will come"?

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 23/10/2015 20:12:40

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1

And what of those who are building, but need to discuss things, need info., etc.?

I can build, no problems, but struggle with the details of rig, R/C installation, etc.

Cheers,

Martin

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

If the demand is there I can set up a sailing section.

Might be more questions than answers though.

Colin

Martin Field 1
                  Participant
                    @martinfield1

That's what a forum is for in the main,I think.

Questions and answers.

Martin

Malcolm Frary
                    Participant
                      @malcolmfrary95515

If questions are asked, answers often follow. Sometimes the right ones.

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Well, who would like to see a separate sailing section then?

Colin

ashley needham
                        Participant
                          @ashleyneedham69188

Nah. Considering the percentage of posts regarding sail as opposed to anything else one might think there would not be much demand…
                          BUT…having a sailng section MIGHT actually increase the amount of posts regarding sailing???

Ashley​

mark69
                          Participant
                            @mark69

Seeing as the 65th Anniversary mag is showing a yacht on its front cover why would you not promote anything with a sail not all of us want an engine powered model, bit like RCME only catering for nitro planes ,come on Ed add some sail you never know you might get more subscribers!!!!!! Mark

P's im building a yacht and these not much help here !! look at my posts 300 + looking 0% help

Edited By mark69 on 24/10/2015 14:05:52

mark69
                            Participant
                              @mark69

Considering this mag has a yacht on its 65 th anniversary cover why not ,not all modellers build boats with motors ,bit like RMCE only showing nitro planes come on Ed you might even get more subscribers ,I for one am building a yacht and im getting no help here .thought this forum promoted boats of all kinds when I joined !!!! sadly if the above reply is anything to go by then us few don't get to join in. mark

mike farrell
                              Participant
                                @mikefarrell21522

Hi All ,I for one would like to see a sail build as I have no Idea about sailing or structure

If for example Dave ,Bob Ashley or Paul or any other designer came up with a plan for a sail ship I,m sure there would be many contributions from those who read on a daily basis but have only an interest in sailing.

Somebody may from your enquiry take up the challenge so in that case there would be no need for a separate section as a tread would followed quite closely .

Lets hope its taken upwinkMichael

Martin Field 1
                                Participant
                                  @martinfield1

OK, first question….I measured an ancient GRP yacht hull I was given a while back earlier today. Mysteriously the thing is 53" long, which prevents it being a Marblehead, so does anyone know which class may have measured to that LOA, with a 10" beam.

The moulding was a very early Bob's Models one. My old chum used to make display models for Bob many years ago and seemed to think this was modelled on an Uffa Fox design.

Cheers,

Martin

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

OK, I agree that a Topic for Sail might indeed focus interest so I have set it up – enjoy!

Colin

Martin Field 1
                                    Participant
                                      @martinfield1

I say, Colin!

Swifter than a wild boar!

I do hope people will use and enjoy it.

Thankee Zir!

Cheers,

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
                                      Participant
                                        @dodgygeezer1

..and may I suggest that this thread be moved there to be the first entry…?

Colin Bishop
                                          @colinbishop34627

And so it has – Voila!

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                          Participant
                                            @davemilbourn48782

If for example Dave, Bob, Ashley or Paul or any other designer came up with a plan for a sail ship I,m sure there would be many contributions from those who read on a daily basis but have only an interest in sailing.

I'm sorry, Mike, but it doesn't quite work like that. For example I have no knowledge of, nor interest in, sailing models. I never have, so I couldn't offer anything by way of meaningful contributions to a sail notice-board. Vic Smeed was probably the only real genius of the modelling world, with a sound grasp of just about every type of working model there was in his day. I can think of no contemporary model boat designer worthy of sharpening Vic's pencils – least of all me.

Of course I can't speak for either Bobable, Ashley or PT but from what I've seen of their output I suspect my inexperience/ignorance/apathy/whatever isn't unique. I'd be only too happy to be proved wrong.

Dave M

mark69
                                            Participant
                                              @mark69

hi thanks for the new topic guys here is the first PIC of my yacht I'm building any comments would be great img_20151012_200134277-480x853.jpg

Gareth Jones
                                              Participant
                                                @garethjones79649

Martin,

Your 53 inch yacht is a bit of a mystery. The only group it would be likely to fit in would be the 6 Metre class but I would not have thought there were many fibreglass 6M hulls ever made as it is a pretty old class and not that popular. You would probably stand a better chance of getting it identified if you put up some photos showing the hull profile side on and a plan view of the deck.

For a more expert opinion try posting the photos and question on the Vintage Model Yacht Group website here **LINK** The recognised expert on all things vintage model yachts is Russell Potts who can be contacted via the VMYG.

There are a surprising number of quite large model yachts that do not fit into any of the recognised racing classes, this may be one of them. I guess many of them were made as individual projects or were attempts to copy full sized designs without regard to meeting a particular set of class rules. My wife has a model named La Swan which is very similar to a Vic Smeed Marblehead design called Genie. However La Swan is 50.75 inches long and does not comply with the rules, being half an inch too long – why? – who knows, it was probably just the whim of the builder who decided to modify the design and was not interested in racing competitively.

Gareth

Martin Field 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @martinfield1

Mark, that looks to be a fine big craft. I'm assuming it's a GRP hull with your fit out and deck? Apologies if not.

Is it a Class boat or a free lancer?

Gareth, thanks for your opinions there. I was thinking it might be an older 6 metre, but nowhere can I find a length of what your average 6 Metre might be.

I am about to put the pics on the VMYG site if I can. My only concern with that site is the lack of any obvious updating since 2010, from what I can see. I hope I'm wrong and not reading it correctly.

I'm assuming , as the GRP hull was produced by Bob's Models in the West Midlands, way back, that he was trying a 6 Metre design for the local guys who still race 6 Metre. The length of the rudder area on the back of the keel is unusually large.

I'll be back with anything I discover on that mystery.

The Marblehead is certainly a proper one. But as to which design it might be, remains to be found out. It came from the loft of a house in which Tommy Sopwith once lived. He was known to enjoy model yachting amongst his more glamorous pursuits. Such a background, if true, would make it an even more special yacht than I already think it. It was given to me by a wonderful, generous, knowledgeable man called Ken Cooper. It was Ken who added the laid deck. He also intended it for radio installation.

Here I have a dilemma. I have, in a jar, the original brass Braine steering gear. I think the boat deserves to have it, but Ken deserves to have the boat finished as he intended. Perhaps I can do both, making the Braine gear easily removable to install radio gear and vice verse.

Unless the GRP boat can be proved to have any genuine provenance, I think I could do what I want with it. I'm not a competitive sailor by any means, in fact I'm unlikely ever to see another model yachtsman where I live!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @martinfield1

Well, I can only assume the VMYG is a dead duck. Last news dated 2010 and no way to contact them, much less Russell Potts himself. Didn't I read somewhere he had died?

But, can't click on anything that enables contact with them.

Shame,

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @martinfield1

Well, blow me down…the "other place" tells me with some authority that the GRP boat is none other than a 1/12th scale model of Dorade, the world's most famous and successful ocean racer. Built by Sparkman and Stephens in 1931, she has been winning races ever since including overall winner of the 2013 Transpac race!

I'm delighted, partly to have found what she is and partly because she is a 1/12th scale model, so well documented on the 'net that I can hardly fail to make an accurate model of her. She was also built as a yawl, so capable of being driven hard with mizzen jibs, etc.

Her lines appear in a book by Uffa Fox, so even that connection is largely proven.

So, the hull I thought would be a "do wotcha like with" will now be a scale model sailer.

I am delighted.

Cheers,

Martin

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 184 total)