Norfolk Broads

Advert

Norfolk Broads

Home Forums Soapbox Norfolk Broads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

A few photographs from our recent few days stopping in the Norfolk Broads. The first day we arrived was the one in the high 30s so we didn't stray too far from the bar!

If anyone one else wants to add photographs from The Broads feel free.

Chris

nb1.jpg

nb2.jpg

nb3.jpg

nb4.jpg

nb5.jpg

nb6.jpg

nb7.jpg

nb8.jpg

nb9.jpg

nb10.jpg

nb11.jpg

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Some lovely boats there. Never been but always meant to, maybe one day I'll get around to it.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Lovely pictures, one of my favourite places, I spend a lot of time watching the going's on at Potter Heigham bridge on the Herbert Woods live webcam, I will get back up there at some day

Regards Ray

Chris E
            Participant
              @chrise

Potter Higham bridge isn't so much fun since all the hire cruisers have to be taken through by a bridge pilot.

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Must admit I wouldn't fancy taking a boat through. Been a few years since I've regularly been on the water. That and some other bridges are really tight! We had some amusement at a pub on the Avon not far from us last year when a guy was taking a narrow boat under the bridge that had plenty of room. He hadn't got a clue and really smacked it into the side of the bridge – hire boat of course. He didn't have any shame though as he came back through and moored up at the pub and made a hash of that as well!

It's been about 35 years since we last went and hired a boat for the day with a couple of friends. Maybe hire one for the week next time though we do like our hotels nowadays!

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

Wroxham Bridge is good for a laugh if the water is high.

Some of the hire boat crews are a menace. They helm from the front ( a very bad idea) and of course when they steer the back swings. They haven't a clue what the back corner is doing and I have seen numerous boats damaged by being hit by the back corner of a hire boat. The hire company, of course, reinforce the back corners so their boats don't get damaged.

On one occassion we watched a hire cruiser back corner hit a private boat so hard it pushed it against the piled bank and lifted it up. We shouted at the skipper & pointed out what he had done only to be told not to worry as rhe hire company don't mind!!!!!. We made sure the private owner know who had caused the damage.

Edited By Chris E on 18/08/2022 14:49:52

Andy Stone 1
                  Participant
                    @andystone1

you've definitely put me of barging though the broads look like a slice of heaven

Andy

Stephen Garrad
                    Participant
                      @stephengarrad28964
                      Posted by Chris Fellows on 18/08/2022 13:02:15:

"We had some amusement at a pub on the Avon not far from us last year when a guy was taking a narrow boat under the bridge"

Bidford on Avon??   that one is a bit narrow but at least you can usually get a straight run at it.

Stephen

Edited By Stephen Garrad on 18/08/2022 22:12:25

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Bit before that. The pub being the Four Alls at Welford-on-Avon. I think initially he was trying to reverse up to the pub jetty against the flow but got tangled up in a tree. Not a good idea as narrow boats, well most boats, don't reverse very well.

So he then headed for the navigable arch on the opposite side at an angle, luckily not getting pinned against the bridge, and just got through after bashing hard into the side.

We used to have a cruiser on the Avon between Evesham and Pershore. Myself and a couple of mates spent a few days going down the Avon and then the Severn. We were already in one of the locks on the Severn when a narrow boat came in and ran straight into the back of another one! Good job it wasn't into us as our boat would have just been a load of fibreglass splinters! Happy days though.

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

The bridge in question at Welford-on-Avon, albeit it on a day with little current, which is a pleasant half-hour drive away via Stratford-on-Avon.

20220708_162428.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 19/08/2022 00:15:05

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

spent many a very happy time down there as my brother in law was the Methodist superintendent minister [c of e equivalent to a bishop], for the North Norfolk Coast diocist and was based at Acle.

a beautiful part of the world, which i visited at least twice a year.Loved Potter Higham

And now a very strong and serious message to all you men, A WARNNG TO US ALL…..my brother in law found a lump on his breast 18 years ago. it was dismissed as floating fat globules, then mis diagnosed as a cyst when it became painful,and which was removed under anasthetic surgery, and within 6 months my best pal and a lovely man who had served his parishioners and god all his working life from the age of 23 had died from BREAST CANCER six months short of retiring.

I was heart broken, as he was a wonderful man, father and friend………and boy, could he cheet at cards,

The worst and yet most easily mis-diagnosed cancer in men…………but almost always a killer unless diagnosed very early.

Sorry to bring such gloom to us all……….but the photo of Potter Higham Bridge was one of the last times i saw it just prior to his passing.

Cecil Webb
                            Participant
                              @cecilwebb96087
                              Posted by Chris Fellows on 18/08/2022 10:06:15:

A few photographs from our recent few days stopping in the Norfolk Broads. The first day we arrived was the one in the high 30s so we didn't stray too far from the bar!

If anyone one else wants to add photographs from The Broads feel free.

Chris

nb1.jpg

nb2.jpg

nb3.jpg

nb4.jpg

nb5.jpg

nb6.jpg

nb7.jpg

nb8.jpg

nb9.jpg

nb10.jpg

nb11.jpg

Lovely.yes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)