MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Advert

MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

Home Forums Scratch build MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Dave Harrison
    Participant
      @daveharrison24862

Hi Ray, I’m really enjoying seeing this model come together. I’m still gathering information scanning plans, deciding which project to start first. ( which would be the best “ first “ project back into marine modelling. )

So far on my list / under my bench I have:

Earl Sirgurd 1:48 ( Orkney steam supply ship ) grp hull plus plans

River class OPB 1:72 ( HMS Tyne ) grp hull no plan ( fleetscale I think )

M.v Miranda Guinness 1:72 ( Guinness tanker ) hull and plan

Monarch of Nassau 1:48 1930’s island trader / Nassau mail boat. ( plan only ) very little information on this one !

farmont 70 trawler yacht 1:48 free plan

and finally the mini luck / sea nass 1:75 mini bulker I mentioned a few weeks ago ! ( plans only ) I have been digitising the plans for this one in CAD as wanted to rescale it to 1:48 but I’m starting to think this may be a bit big to manage and will need a lot of ballast ( or a water tank ) which starts to get complicated for a first model back into boating ! I want to give myself a reasonable chance of completing the project wink 2. I seem to get lost studying plans and photos, I just need to pick one and make a start I guess !

Anyway keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you are enjoying the build, I tend to flit back and forth between projects I love the freedom to be building an aeroplane today and a boat tomorrow

You would appear to have been planning your return to model boating for a while to have accumulated such a selection of different projects on the cards to choose from, I suppose the question is are you in a rush to have a completed boat so you can go boating this summer or wether you are building for enjoyment ? The original idea behind Oldenburg was to have a longer build from scratch, If your trying to get on the water fast one of your GRP hulls would probably be the fastest way, but personally I don't really feel like I have built the model if I havn't built the hull ! having said that I have built 2 Thames Sailing Barges on GRP hulls but the rig & sails take foreverold name.jpg

Let us know what you decide to build and keep us posted.

Meanwhile I by chance found some white sticky letters about the right size so now she has a name

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Nice work Ray

Are you going to do a bit of weathering?

Liked your Lysander a lot.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Tim,

Yes I was pleased with the Lysander, seems a shame to cover it ? Do you have any KK Flying Scale kits ?? let me know if your up for the 1/16" square balsa challenge ! I'll send you one

Oldenburg will have some hints of rust but she is a well kept old lady, and currently having her yearly spruce up in a dry dock in Bristol I understand.

How is it out with you any improvements in the situation ? we are locked down, waiting of the vaccine & spring.

Kind Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
            Participant
              @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I have a good supply of 1/16 square kits although not KK. I have a Guillows Musketeer with a Cox 010 installed and the prop on back to front. Tiny tin fuel tank and covered with Litespan except for the bottom of the fuselage which is doped nylon for a landing surface rather than landing gear! Will dig out a photo.

The Balearics are the worst affected areas in Spain and we are hovering around a lockdown. That would need central government approval although I think that would be given if asked for by the local government. It is the unfortunate price of an overly strong hotel lobby that got the islands open for tourism but when 40% of the Balearic economy depends on visitors it is understandable. Tourism accounts for 10% of the total Spanish economy which puts things into perspective.

The superyacht repair and service centres are running at full capacity so there needs to be a radical change to our economy. I wouldn't recommend buying one right now but there are lots of hotels, restaurants and bars for sale. I may look for a discounted car though from one of the care hire fleets.

Tim R

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

coming on beautifully Ray……….looks superb.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi All,

She's back in the water this weekoldenburg at sea jan 2021.jpg and heading down the Bristol Channel to her home port of Bideford after her winter refit, she is owned and operated by the Landmark Trust, murky picture which gives you a feel for the conditions, thanks to Chris Blackmore for the photo.

Regards Ray

redpmg
                  Participant
                    @redpmg

Hi Ray ,

Up for your challenge re KK kits – but impossible to get anything here – would have to cut one on the laser. Have a few plans of the KK Flying Scale type – have to draw up the parts first .

You could send one on to my sister in UK – but it would take a while to get here as posting is impossible (3 months behind last heard) . She is already overdue to visit……….

Was going to build a KK Pixie in any event – but that's a bit bigger I believe

Good to see most of us still around although its getting a bit close to home as two lots of friends here have been tested positive. Was very sad news about Paul Freshney. – Magazine was much improved under him.

Edited By redpmg on 16/01/2021 10:15:25

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

old & others.jpgHi All,

The shipyard is getting rather congested these days, HMS Cossack on the top shelf has her radio fitted and ready to go, Oldenburg creeping along with the stanchions and handrails, some rigging and a RIB for the rear deck. With her skipper looking !!

Regards Rayold capt rib.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Well it had to happen, I have hit the wall Boat production suspended temporarily .

Now building a plastic 1/48th scale F14 Tomcat, just for a change, roll on the end of lock down I'd like to go boating !!

Regards Rayms oldenburg jan 21.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                        Participant
                          @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, just thought I would drop in and say hello. I second your comment to be able to go boating, I have a new boat that needs its first outing, a 42” Pilot Cutter. I am also waiting for some warmer weather so that I can get the topcoat of paint on a new IOM, a Graham Bantock Nimbus 3.

I like the look of the boat so much that the shadows are now setup for a second build but using spruce for the planking, to be finished with the bare wood varnished, the wood arrived about five minutes ago from SLEC, I will let you know how it goes. BTW I have had my first jab.

Keep safe.

Eddie.

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Nice wall shot Ray! I invested in the slotted strip stuff you hook arms on to for my shelvingwhen ire-did the shed. Although more expensive itenablesypy to position the shelves for the densest possible packing, and getting rid of excess vertical wasted space…BESIDES being replaced-positionablelater on.

Previously like you I had brackets, but when the shed had been stripped, the walls were full of old bracket holes so I bit the bullet and splashed out.

Eddie…yes..boating.. we all have at least new boat to test over here, if not three, or likely four if this malarkey goes on!

i will have to sneak down to the pond at some time for a very quick secret project test as the others want to get going and build their own versions….and I don’t know if it works yet!

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Good to hear from you and you have had the jab, lets hope it's the beginning of the end and we can get back to normal soon

The spruce will look good in varnish finish, I have always fancied building a planked Cedar kayak, we have a plastic 2 seater down at my daughters which is good fun.

Yes quite a few new boats to test this year, even bought a new radio set for HMS Cossack.

Ashley,

I must get rid of some of my boats this year, but it's rather like selling your children ??

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                              Participant
                                @eddielancaster

Hi. Ashley, we can go for a walk around the pond but if we take a boat to sail that is classed as recreation and not allowedfrown.

Good luck and best wishes.

Eddie.

redpmg
                                Participant
                                  @redpmg

Don't make the mistake of giving away any boats Ray – unless someone is begging you for a particular one – they are never appreciated . Let someone pay good money for them and they are much more likely to be looked after. I have done so and might as well have burnt them – out of the dozen or so only two remain intact.

My friend Ken from Hout Bay who tries to preserve full size boats passed on one of his Miami's (R 9 ) to a 'friend' 'who was going to work on her and live aboard.- Instead she was left to rot and he has just sent me some very sad pictures of her sunk at her moorings north of Port Owen and subsequently destroyed – a sad end for a boat that had a long history and was the last Miami in service with the SAN.

He unfortunately also had to scrap his one Ford Class SDB (SAS Rijger) as her hull had thinned to a point where she was beyond economical repair and sank at her moorings twice. He is trying to save the other (ex SAS Oosterland) and is currently working on her and renovating his other Miami "Circe" (ex R18) which he started off his boat trip business with . The business continues with a steel 82' boat using an enlarged Miami design hull which he built himself – but due to Covid max 60 pax instead of the normal 120…………

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Ray. When you REALLY have no more room, then it’s time, but I find that optimally packing makes loadsmore room…

Box ‘em up, they can stack floor to ceiling then.

Ashley

Tim Rowe
                                    Participant
                                      @timrowe83142

Ray has a unique problem though. He builds at five times the rate of us mortals.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

True, very true! laugh

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

My production rate is due to not watching TV but I prefer the Wireless !! Home Service of course.

Although making an effort not to listen to the news .

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

old stairs.jpgHi All,

A couple of evenings work and the the passengers will be able to access the aft deck, bit of a fiddle with a jig to keep the stair strings parallel while gluing in the treads , cocktail sticks and 1/16" mahogany capping rails, rather a shame they will be hard to see when the rear shelter is in place !!

600 Wet & Dry paper non slip treads.

Regards Rayold stairs (2).jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray, those steps and that deck look good.

Eddie.

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

Nice work Ray,

luckily you don't need the cocktail sticks in the Bristol Cream season!

George

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

I think I achieved my goal with this build ! I wanted something to take longer

Well at a critical moment I ran out of brass stanchions ! but hopefully Cornwall Model Boats will come to the rescue.

There are an awful lot of slatted seats to make, I'm using some corrugated plasticard for the seats and backs, I think I may have got away with it once painted?

Regards Rayold rear stancions.jpg

ashley needham
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Look great Ray and a good match for the big picture.

i think corrugated card will look the part..perhaps a dark wash and then lighter just for the “slats”?

I shed this for the rear engine louvred on the Farman, and although I was going to paint black in the grooves, the light takes care of the dips.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

This may be the one and only passenger vessel I ever build as there are so many slatted bench seats to make but with a small production line going I think I'm getting there

Regards Rayold bench seats.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 95 total)