Looking for help identifying a boat

Advert

Looking for help identifying a boat

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Looking for help identifying a boat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig88
    Participant
      @craig88

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone here could possibly give me any clues as to the rough age and possibly make/model of a boat that my grandfather and I used to sail.

All I can really say with regards to its history and setup is that it was originally fitted with a little single cylinder internal combustion engine, unfortunately when we acquired it, upon inspection of the motor my grandfather discovered that the crankshaft had snapped and caused damage within the engine. It was also fitted with a rudder system that although technically steerable, it was non RC at the time. The steering system consisted of a tiller arm on top of the rudder shaft that connected to a little toothed bar, so it was logical to assume that before launching the boat onto the water you would set the rudder at the desired position angle and off it went across the water.

Due to these systems and the desire to make it RC my grandfather and I retrofitted a servo reciever motor and necessary hardware to convert it so some modifications and adaptations had to be made both internally and externally. With regards to the outside, you will notice the boxed sections in the rear deck area, these are non original and were designed and built by my grandfather to house some of the various hardware. Internally there were obviously numerous brackets and box sections added to mount running gear and the battery. Pretty much everything else bar a few deck details is original.

If anyone is able to shed any light as the the age and make/design of this model that would be amazing! All I know is it is very very old but also very well made and gave many days of enjoyable sailing.

Regards

Craig

Advert
      Craig88
      Participant
        @craig88

Vintage Cabin Cruiser

Craig88
        Participant
          @craig88

7b1c0f1a-8050-4b3d-9542-ed56318a9f6a.jpeg03761bba-65c2-4385-9cb1-442b819c4b52.jpegae4454ac-5e2d-4aa2-ab27-272803983f35.jpegcc201f83-3d4c-474a-8e8e-d885720a1aa4.jpegb9302c55-8f87-4cd4-bf41-ca8fe55dabd1.jpeg

Craig88
          Participant
            @craig88

15c4b177-2565-4e52-938f-0fa17c6dc318.jpegc9bc0961-d813-4718-9780-2aa7c8802c0f.jpegefe4d43f-7a58-4b5f-8dcb-77ffde8d64df.jpeg

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

That looks like an Aerokits Sea Scout.

Chris

Craig88
              Participant
                @craig88
                Posted by Chris Fellows on 18/03/2023 20:05:36:

That looks like an Aerokits Sea Scout.

Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris! After a bit of google searching your answer it looks as if you are probably correct. I’m finding mixed sources of information about the power plant and steering system so looks as if it was more up to the builder rather than a suggested design within a plan. The build quality certainly seems to match up very well with how people speak of its design so unless anyone else has any inputs I think you may have solved it.

Thank you very much!

Charles Oates
                Participant
                  @charlesoates31738

Yes, definitely a Sea Scout, once a popular kit. It has an extra lump added to the rear cockpit, presumably to cover the rudder servo which doesn't improve the lines. You could probably get around that with a modern small servo mounted on its side. It's well worth a little work to preserve and enjoy a nice old model and family memories.

Charles.

Craig88
                  Participant
                    @craig88
                    Posted by Charles Oates on 18/03/2023 23:29:20:

Yes, definitely a Sea Scout, once a popular kit. It has an extra lump added to the rear cockpit, presumably to cover the rudder servo which doesn't improve the lines. You could probably get around that with a modern small servo mounted on its side. It's well worth a little work to preserve and enjoy a nice old model and family memories.

Charles.

Hi Charles. Yes you are right, the box in the rear deck area was made and added by my grandfather to house the servo for the rudder. But yes you are also right that with the more modern miniature servos there may just about be room to squeeze it into the area to the rear of the deck where to rudder tube is mounted. Something I may look at doing sometime in the future and attempt to revert the model back to as close to its original design as possible.

Regards, Craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)