J, K, N Class Destroyer

Advert

J, K, N Class Destroyer

Home Forums Steam powered models J, K, N Class Destroyer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    David Maloney
    Participant
      @davidmaloney42700

My father was an avid model engineer who served in the merchant navy on steam ships. Many, May years ago he acquired a hull and plans for a destroyer.

20200425_121438.jpg

20200425_124701.jpg

He never got anywhere near doing much to it. Real life always had a knack of getting in the way. He dreamt about making a proper steam model out of it.

If anyone is interested in taking this on and doing the magnificent hull justice, please contact me on 07740865266 or email [email protected]

Thanks

Dave Maloney

P.S. I have lots more pictures if needed

20200425_121443.jpg

20200425_124655.jpg

Advert
      David Maloney
      Participant
        @davidmaloney42700
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Ooh that’s a decent size hull, and all that work! Not for me unfortunately but I can see that it would be a good project for someone.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi David,

That looks like HMS Javelin, serialized in Model Engineer maybe late 1940's if it measures 70" long.

nice looking metal hull plans are still available, but it looks like you have a drawing already.

Regards Ray

David Maloney
            Participant
              @davidmaloney42700

Yes – that would make sense. Dad always referred to it as HMS Javelin and it is about 70" long. I have no idea who made the hull, but it is VERY impressive.

Noel
              Participant
                @noel26080

This would have been right up my street if I had not just bought that 1/96 Ark hull from ebay!

Do hope someone takes it on.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi David,

We don't know where you are in the country? You may have a local model boat club? obviously not much being bought and sold at the moment, logistics is a big thing with a hull that size.

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                  Participant
                    @timrowe83142

Come on Ray, I am sure you could sort out the logisticswink

I sure you would be excused for this one and anyway you wouldn't be starting a new project, you'd be finishing it off.

Looks right up your street.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Thanks Tim 😃

Lost for words ! Which is a rare occurrence !!

Have you been to the beach for exercise yet ?

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 27/04/2020 15:41:22

David Maloney
                      Participant
                        @davidmaloney42700

I am in Wigan

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Phew, that's a relief ! I'm in Kent & Tim's from a land far away 😄

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                          Participant
                            @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

Only allowed out for work until 2nd May. Expect the beaches to be crowded so might give them a miss for a few days until the novelty wears off.

Tim R

Roger Clark
                            Participant
                              @rogerclark

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd pop up the periscope and update you all, I have taken ownership of this hull with the intent of fitting it out with steam as originally planned by Davids' father.

The plans were drawn up by Norman Ough in 1956 at 1/8" to the foot giving a scale of 1:96? I think. The hull measures out at 70" x 8" beam and 1:48 would give 89" x 8.9" but it those hull dimensions scales at 1:61 x 1:53 respectively! I guess I could extend the hull by the 18" missing but that would be a heck of an undertaking so what I'm asking for are your thoughts on the scaling and what I could do.

The alternative is to look at another class ad the only one I have found that's closer in the length x beam ratio is the Daring class, that would scale out at 1:67 for the length and 1:64.5 for the beam, possibly close enough to 1:72 to 'look' ok.

So what do you think? original plans and 'lose' 18" somehow or Daring class or something else?

Looking forward to your comments laugh

Roger

Or a  Town-class light cruiser would come out  just slightly over the 1:96 scale if the hull shape was close enough!? devil

Edited By Roger Clark on 11/05/2020 12:26:09

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Roger

What you have there is HMS Javelin designed by Edward Bowness in the Model Engineer, I have the mag somewhere, the drawings are available from Sarik but are not full-size and are quite basic.

There is no way it's suitable for a Town Class Cruiser it's too narrow, but it will be great with a steam plant 😄

Regards Ray

Roger Clark
                                Participant
                                  @rogerclark

Hi Ray,

I know it was originally intended to be HMS Javelin but what I don't get is the missing 19" in it's length for a scale of 1/4" to the foot or 1:48?

The scale comes out at 1:61 for the length and 1:53 for the beam.

And as for too narrow for the Towny, the scale comes out at 1:105 for length and 1:97 for the beam, doesn't seem to be a great difference but I can't visualise the scale of things and I don't understand how you can lose 19" of length from a destroyer, it'll look all wrong to my eye?

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 11/05/2020 13:19:57

Roger Clark
                                  Participant
                                    @rogerclark

Hi all,

The information is gradually coming together Have now got most of the M E mags concerning the main build of HMS Javelin and it was designed to be built at 1" to 5ft which I believe is 1:60, and the hull would be correct at 70" long. Obviously the beam is greater to give stability at 8".

Once I start repairing the hull and start the build I will do it in a new thread, will let you know when I'm ready to go. devil

All the best, stay safe.

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster
                                    Participant
                                      @eddielancaster

Hi.Roger, nice to hear from you again, I will look forward to your build.

Regards and keep safe.

Eddle.

Roger Clark
                                      Participant
                                        @rogerclark

Hi Eddie, have been following along with everyone's builds with interest. I have been more involved with repairing my decking as some joists had gone rotten along with a couple of decking planks, problem is they don't make that profile anymore so needs must, missus will have a planter now. smiley. My workshop roof stated leaking over the winter and as I couldn't get/afford to pay for labour and with the lockdown couldn't have any family to help I had to do it myself over a couple of weeks during our recent sunny period smile d, just managed to complete it before the rain come. Now to tidy the shop back up where I moved stuff away from the wet area.

The build will be an extended one as I need to consider whether to buy or build the power plant, what size it needs to be to drive the destroyer at a decent rate of knots without running out of puff, what to use for the decking and for the superstructure. Might try my resin printer for some of the parts devil.

I won a little steamer at a bereaved auction just before the lockdown and can't wait to collect it, soon hopefully. laugh

steam launch .jpg

Yo ho ho.

Roger

Eddie Lancaster
                                        Participant
                                          @eddielancaster

Hi Roger, I’m pleased to hear that you are well and keeping busy, even if it is not on boats.

Would a Stuart Turner double ten fit in that hull and what I think was a No. 3 boiler, about 3” dia. x 9” long?

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark
                                          Participant
                                            @rogerclark

Hi Eddie, The double 10 would probably be the biggest I could shoehorne in as I do have superstructure above the planned location for it, again the boiler size width and length is fine but I can't picture the boiler as I have a Stuart 504 factory recon boiler which is giiiiinormous. Why do you know someone who has one for sale cheap? winkdevil

Just spent today adding a kitchen extractor fan (I replaced it with a new one + points with SWMBO angel) to my spray booth for extra suck. laugh, knackered now crying.

Roll on when I can go boating.

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

Sorry but no I don’t know of a second hand steam plant. Oh to have a nice quite hour or two sailing.

Eddie.

Roger Clark
                                              Participant
                                                @rogerclark

I have a few options, I have a couple of twin v oscillators, one part built and one kit, both self-starting and reversing, just need to check whether they will run 2" props and assess how steam thirsty they'll be, or how messy they'll be! The boiler will probably be a 4" x 10" with cross tubes for fast steaming, not sure if I'll buy or build.

I do want to get an hours steaming if possible but will have to look for help from them that knows. smiley

Regards

Roger

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi Roger,

I think you would need a geared down drive from the twins to a boiler feed pump, and a big gas canister.

The double ten is the ideal engine, but the castings are well expensive last time I looked 😢,

I had the ME designed centre flue boiler 3" diameter in a 50" TID tug.

An hour's steaming is an awful long time, I get bored after 10 mins 😄

regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/06/2020 19:55:31

Roger Clark
                                                  Participant
                                                    @rogerclark

Hi Ray, yes that's the plan as the Javelin has 2 15" water tanks each side of the boiler hence having the longer in steam time.

The D10 is £194 + vat for diy or a hefty £877.20 (ex. VAT) if you're rich & lazy (I'm definitely not in the rich category laugh)

If I don't build the boiler I might go for the Clevedon Libra Horizontal Boiler @ £405 but not making a decision on that for a while, I'll start the build thread and the actual build and take it from there.

Cheers

Roger

Roger Clark
                                                    Participant
                                                      @rogerclark

Hi All,

I've decided to build this as HMS Kelly, same design but with a longer aft housing which will give me wriggle room for the engine.

I am after a copy of ME vol 90 issue 2228 or a scan of the 'Ships Modeller corner' about HMS Javelin, this would complete the build description as it stands.

I'll create a topic for the build log for probably HMS Kelly but it might be Jervis or Napier as these were the flotilla leaders with the extra accommodation aft.

I'll do a wanted post for the ME mag as well.

Regards

Roger

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)