Folk art wood model boat. Please help identify this steam-type mechanism?

Advert

Folk art wood model boat. Please help identify this steam-type mechanism?

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Folk art wood model boat. Please help identify this steam-type mechanism?

• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by djmounts.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    djmounts
    Participant
      @djmounts

Can anyone identify this old looking steam-type of mechanism that is part of this folk art model wood boat? I know nothing about this but am interested in possibly restoring it if it is possible. The model is 37” long.IMG_2240IMG_2245IMG_2186IMG_2239

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

Hi There, I’m afraid I can’t help you as regards a manufacturer but it certainly looks like a twin cylinder oscillating, in line engine to me.  I couldn’t tell you whether it is double acting or single acting without looking at the ports but you will be able to determine that when you dismantle it.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to have any form of a lubricator, unless the large cylindrical component on the side of the engine plays any part in that.  I was trying to work out how the boiler works but then realised that I don’t think it is a boiler.  I think it is simply a pressure tank to be pumped up with air.  The air is simply stored in the tank to drive the engine when you open the outlet valve to the engine.  Probably designed to be pumped up with a bicycle pump or a foot pump or something similar.  If it was me I would probably use some sort of vehicle electrically driven pump that was fitted with a pressure gauge so I had some sort of idea of what was in the tank.

A very simple design and could possibly be home made but it would be interesting to see it running.  Is the engine free to turn?

djmounts
        Participant
          @djmounts

Thank you Richard for your comments. Additionally, the stem on the topside of the brass cylinder is a pressure relief valve, not an air stem to pump air into the tank. There is a flat reservoir beneath the cylinder for flammable fuel. The cylinders and wheels look and feel like some lead alloy. May well have been home built by its primitive appearance.

I haven’t attempted disassembly yet.

This will be my very first model project. I bought this at auction without knowing this motor was even in the boat. Before discovering this motor my initial thought was to simply rejuvenate the model and fit it with a modern RC motor. But now I’m conflicted in thinking it may be more appropriate to at least try to preserve the authenticity of the model in its entirety.

Richard, could you make a guess about the age and potential value (range) of something like this. I’m doing this for pleasure and social interest with the local RC model boat club in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks,

Jim MountsIMG_2253IMG_2252IMG_2254IMG_2255

Len Morris 2
          Participant
            @lenmorris2

Hi Jim,

The end of the boiler appears to be stamped with an inscription.  Can you read it?  It could provide many clues.

Len

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Hi Jim, thanks for the additional pictures, now we can see the burner!  As you say obviously a liquid fuel burner with wicks fitted to provide the flame.  How new wicks can be fitted is difficult to see.  From an operational point of view this would raise concerns for me as there is no pressure gauge and no sight glass so it is a very hit and miss process to run the plant and a bigger concern, the boiler is made of brass, rather than the more normal copper.  If you wanted to restore it and run it I think at the very least for your own piece of mind I would get the boiler pressure tested.  Not being familiar with testing requirements in the USA you might find yourself being asked to make modifications if you wanted to operate it in a public place.

While it does look almost home made it could have been produced by a small manufacturer, but it is very much in the style of a 1950s or 1960s model.  I don’t know of a manufacturer though who would have used brass for the boiler apart from Saito and it doesn’t look to be in their style.  As Len suggests though there is obviously something stamped on the end of the boiler so the plant could be manufactured.  Try a brass rubbing of the stamped mark.

Value with these things is always very subjective and the old addage, “It is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it” applies here more than ever.  It certainly has charm and character and would be a nice model if restored but that will require quite a lot of work.  As to whether the steam plant can be made operational you won’t be able to say, even after dismantling, and might require new parts making and possibly some repair work.  Certainly the market for such things is noticeably depressed nowadays and while there may still be demand for well known manufactured collectable models, such as Bowman, unidentified models or models from a small unknown manufacturer might struggle to fetch a reasonable price.  If I was selling it I would consider myself happy if I could get $200.00 to $300.00 for it.  That doesn’t mean to say I would though!  If you can get something from the stamped mark it might help improve its value.

djmounts
              Participant
                @djmounts

Richard and Len,

Indeed there isn’t a lot to go on here, just recognizing “it is what it is”. But that is exactly what caught my attention, a hand carved and shaped hull with extra patina. I appreciate your perspective and insights as to what I may expect if I actually get the boiler and engine to run at all. I did my best to research the two markings. The brass tank is stamped “J.W.R. Laxton, Hartford Connecticut. The internet coughed up J.W.R. Laxton as an inventor of amalgamating equipment. The other marking “McNab & Harlin Mfg. NY” is on the thumb-turn valve that would adjust the pressure to the engine. I found a history of this company as a manufacturer of fire extinguishing equipment such as fire hydrants. Did you notice the finial screw with the spring relief mechanism, it is adjustable, the small diameter stem is threaded to move the spring washer up or down to adjust the release pressure. Nothing telling to go on here.

Your estimated value of such an example was right on the money. I paid $200 for this beauty (ha ha) and I am very enthusiastic to see what I can make of it. My thought today is that it is an optimistic notion I could get the steam plant and engine suitably running (considering my less than novice experience). More pragmatic though, converting to a modern battery powered motor and RC for rudder control would get me closer to sailing it on the water.

Incidentally I looked at a couple posts by you and Len, I am truly amazed at the design and execution of workmanship that I saw in the projects you’ve done. Just astonishing!

Just a few more photos for the record…to show the hand chiseled solid wood hull and aged patina. My thought is to refurbish or rebuild what is necessary while preserving its original character. I’m retired at age 70 so there is no hurry on my part.

Thanks for your time and considerate feedback on my first model boat project!

Jim Mounts

Portland, Oregon

IMG_2267IMG_2268

IMG_2280

IMG_2281

IMG_2283

IMG_2284

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

She’s certainly quite a model Jim and, if it were mine, I would defenately be looking at getting it operational on the water again.  The good news is that everything appears to be there and everything appears to be sound.  Testament to how well built it was in the first place.  I think you are quite right in trying to preseve much of the original look and character and, with that firmly in mind, I would defenately try a restoration of the steam plant first.  It might only need a thorough clean up to get it working but you are going to need to do a complete strip down to check everything.  I would also ‘pickle’ the boiler to ensure the internal surfaces are completely cleaned up.

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

It is certainly an impressive model and much of the charm lies in the patina it has accumulated over the years. I supspect that if immersed, the hull would not be found to be waterproof or water will find its way under the existing finish and into the wood maybe splitting it as it will be very dry now.

Waterproofing the hull can only be done on the outside and I would be concerned that sealing it would ruin the patina and much of the appeal of the model. It would probably also substantially reduce its value.

As Richard says, it is certainly worth cleaning up and renovating the engine and boiler but I do wonder if it would meet today’s safety standards.

Maybe there is a halfway house whereby the boat is kept as a static antique but perhaps the plant could be run dry on air for demonstraion purposes.

It is a named ship and I would not classify it as ‘Folk Art’ as it is clearly meant as a scale representation of the full size vessel and makes a good job of it too.

There is an online reference to a steam tug Columbia of 1910 but no image. It might just be the one…

https://warshipsresearch.blogspot.com/2021/05/american-steam-tug-columbia-1900-in-1910.html

Colin

djmounts
                    Participant
                      @djmounts

Well, much more to consider thanks to your comments of experience. Until now I haven’t thought of a plan of action. Seems like two projects now, the steam engine plant and the boat condition. My level of understanding this project has quadrupled now based on these few conversations. So, I will be wading into this slowly. Colin, I like your idea of running the plant as a dry air demonstration, either in or out of the boat. This would bring a lot of interest to this type of model and its history, in addition to, but much different than what I’ve seen at the local RC boat club events. Whether or not I attempt to float the boat or not could be a decision a little later on as I have a chance to see what else is out there and how its managed. In any event thanks so much for your thoughts, I will be thinking twice about the restoration work to preserve its authentic qualities.

Colin, I followed your link and added the word “image” at the end, it produced several photos of tug design boats on the Columbia River. (I don’t want to leave this post to copy and paste the link, I’m afraid I will lose this entire conversation) I’ll follow up in another post tomorrow, gotta go now.

Thanks

Jim Mounts

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

It makes sense to tackle the powerplant first as if that can’t be restored then no point in making the hull waterproof.

Colin

djmounts
                        Participant
                          @djmounts

Colin, I agree, that will be phase one of the plan!

As I indicated in my previous post, I added the word “image” to the link you sent. The new search yielded about 100 very similar design tug photos. Here is a picture of the Tatoosh which bears a strong similarity. The Tatoosh shows more rigging detail that is missing on the Columbia model. I also notice the lifeboat on the Columbia looks strangely mismatched and out of proportion.

I’ll be taking photos before and after of my work progress and reaching out for comments if I get to stuck. Thanks so much for sharing an interest in my project.

Regards, Jim

Tatoosh

search: American steam tug Columbia (1900) in 1910 Image

Len Morris 2
                          Participant
                            @lenmorris2

Jim,

You could consider making a modular electric motor unit that has the same footprint as the steam plant and simply lifts in and out without any significant internal modifications.  Gives you a choice of propulsion if the steam plant is viable.

How you tackle the exterior is the million dollar question.  Personally, I’d keep her as she is after a gentle wash and some waterproofing.

Len

djmounts
                            Participant
                              @djmounts

Ahhhh Len,

You’ve been reading my mind! I’ve only had possession of the old girl since Jan.1st and I’m getting fond of the way she looks “as is”. A pinch here and a tuck there with some new dancing shoes and she will stand out in any pond.

I believe there is more than enough room in the bildge to slip-in an alternate modular electric motor and servo for rudder control. I can imagine it would be the best of both worlds to be able to run the steam plant in the boat while on dry land for demonstration, then swap the propulsion for water motoring.

And yes, you may have noticed the crumbling material along the full length of the lead keel. Mending this area will take some study and the “right” material. The Prop shaft fits snug and turns with a little resistance but I think it will loosen up nicely with lubrication and hold water out with some waterproof grease injected into the stuffing box. I am thinking this is part of phase II.

I’m still getting acquainted with the details of the “as is” condition before I get too far ahead of myself. Other items that I see as needing attention are the fit of the house structures and all of the rigging. There should be blocks, cleats and pulleys, of which there are none, and at least port and starboard lights!

Thats it for tonight, thanks!

Jim

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

I was particularly interested as it reminded me of the steam tug Master preserved in Vancouver which I visited in 2010 and saw again in 2014.

Colin

Master

djmounts
                                Participant
                                  @djmounts

Thanks for that Colin, what a delightful sight! The “Master” is certainly a classic time capsule of history!

I do appreciate the design and workmanship of vintage boats and cars. I am somewhat familiar with vintage boats (just not models of any nature). For fifteen years I owned and worked to refurbish a 1932, one-off classic cruiser 32′ “Winikin” in Seattle. Fortunately for me, I became very good friends with the shipwright at Lockhaven Marina who managed the heavy work on the boat. We ended up sailboat racing a 25′ Thunderbird class boat for the next ten yeas.

Winikin motor

Thats us in the green bottom boat.

Sailing World 1990

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)