Fairey Huntsman 28

Advert

Fairey Huntsman 28

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Huntsman 28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

I knew it was going to be tight fitting the servo under the floor and to the side of the rudder, even using a low-profile servo, but not this tight! Obviously the further from the rudder it is positioned the higher it becomes.

With 1mm clearance between the top of the servo arm fixing screw and the underside of the cockpit floor the distance between the servo and rudder is less than I would have liked. After trying various fittings I used this approach which enabled the arms to be kept at the same height.

I cut about 1.5mm off two spring connectors to shorten their length and cut the threaded part of a connecting rod off and connected them together. I had thought about just bending the end of the rod but this way is better "engineered"!

Chris

servo6.jpg

servo7.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Something to lookout for, which would make your life easier are :- Zed bend pliers which gives you a double bend in 16 g brass wire in a second, and your can use a clevice with a grub screw on the other end. 😄😎,

Standard equipment for rc aeroplane building 👍

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

I shall look for some. I did try a clevis on the rudder arm but it had to go upside down due to the lack of height above the arm. Then it would have needed a double bend in the rod because of the difference in arm heights (the servo can't go much lower) and with such a short rod was getting messy. In other builds I should have more space.

I connected the servo up to try it and all moves freely so happy days.

Chris

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Another option to think about some time is to use a bell crank. This converts the motion by 90 degrees and using a pushrod between the servo and the bell crank you can have a much greater choice of where you locate the servo.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Tim

The Fisherman might benefit from that solution.

Chris

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

I must say that I use garden wire nowadays, with a double bend either end, or perhaps a quick-keeper one end (think that’s the right term). The inserts from electrical strip connectors are great to connect two bits of wire together for easy adjustment.

Not so well engineered perhaps but cheap and effective. Double bends in the wire easily cope with differing heights.

Ashley

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ashley

A quick-keeper would have done the trick but I've never seen them anywhere online. Fortunately there's usually more than one way to skin a cat.

Chris

Andrew Waters
                  Participant
                    @andrewwaters50002

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782

Here you go Swingkeepers

Z-Bend pliers

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 01/06/2020 11:15:49

Andrew Waters
                      Participant
                        @andrewwaters50002
                        Andrew Waters
                        Participant
                          @andrewwaters50002

Beware of the short type in my first picture they will only work on the very end of a servo arm but ideal in limited space 

The SLEC ones are fine as Dave posted

These are similar

**LINK**

Edited By Andrew Waters on 01/06/2020 11:24:45

Andrew Waters
                          Participant
                            @andrewwaters50002
                            Posted by Dave Milbourn on 01/06/2020 11:13:11:

Here you go Swingkeepers

Z-Bend pliers

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 01/06/2020 11:15:49

I’ve never seen those pliers before Dave, must have some thanks

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Dave, I'll order a pair of those and get some Swingkeepers when I make another order with SLEC.

Thanks for the info. as well Andrew. That's a novel way of dealing with a space problem in the lobster boat!

Chris

Andrew Waters
                              Participant
                                @andrewwaters50002

Sorry I don’t post very often but I’ve been subscribed to your thread a long time. Lovely

Andrew Waters
                                Participant
                                  @andrewwaters50002

This may be useful too.

Using 2 pre threaded servo rods with these 2mm barrel nuts gives me fine tuning for length on very long reaches

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Andrew,

Very neat installation, what's on the other end of those push rods ??I

Looks fast with the water cooled esc's

Regards Ray

Andrew Waters
                                    Participant
                                      @andrewwaters50002

Thanks Ray

The water cooling isn’t employed as the brushless motors are drawing less than 25amps at full chat

**LINK**

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Wow,

That's pretty impressive set-up 😄 is that the stern of a Shannon ?

Regards Ray

Andrew Waters
                                        Participant
                                          @andrewwaters50002

Yes indeed it’s an MBD full blog is on Mayhem

apologies to Chris as it seems like a Hijack blush

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

I'm sure Chris won't mind 😉 he just wishes he had a jet drive on one of his Fairey's 😄

Regards Ray

Dave Milbourn
                                            Participant
                                              @davemilbourn48782
                                              Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 01/06/2020 17:20:34:

I'm sure Chris won't mind 😉 he just wishes he had a jet drive on one of his Fairey's 😄

Regards Ray

There was an attempt to ressurect the Fairey brand a few years ago and the proposed range included a boat with a Hamilton jet-drive. Unfortunately it never really got started as a business and I've no idea what happened to the prototypes. Shame – I'd love to play with one of those!

Dave M

Andrew Waters
                                              Participant
                                                @andrewwaters50002

That's an interesting challenge /concept I might be interested in doing something with that.

At the moment upgraded prop tubes with ceramic bearings are in transit from Hong Kong. Landed today at Gatwick

This will be the catalyst to restart the Shannon to completion. I will have to do a complete dismantle with deck off to change the parts but I would have to have done this anyway to commence painting.

My whole build is easy to take apart as I built her with that intention 

Edited By Andrew Waters on 01/06/2020 18:14:05

Chris Fellows
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrisfellows72943
                                                  Posted by Andrew Waters on 01/06/2020 14:41:02:

Sorry I don’t post very often but I’ve been subscribed to your thread a long time. Lovely

Thanks Andrew – sorry it's been so long! As usual other things get in the way. My servo connection was a walk in the park compared with those on your Shannon. Lovely bit of engineering. Don't worry about hi-jacking, most of us do it. smiley

Chris

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943
                                                    Posted by Dave Milbourn on 01/06/2020 18:06:14:

Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 01/06/2020 17:20:34:

Regards Ray

There was an attempt to ressurect the Fairey brand a few years ago and the proposed range included a boat with a Hamilton jet-drive. Unfortunately it never really got started as a business and I've no idea what happened to the prototypes. Shame – I'd love to play with one of those!

Dave M

All is not lost Dave!

I thought I remembered reading something about a waterjet in the "bible" and a quick check confirmed it. There was a Spearfish that was bought by Sheik Ali Sabah for his BiL and had the twin diesels replaced with twin 500hp petrol V8's and Castoldi water jets and could do over 55 knots! The BiL didn't like the smoke from the diesels on start-up, shame!!

So whilst you can't play with the real thing you could build one! As you know the Spearfish is based on the H31 hull so no problem. smiley

I hope Harry isn't reading this or he will be getting ideas! laugh

Chris

Andrew Waters
                                                    Participant
                                                      @andrewwaters50002

The problem as I see it is the hull does not have enough draft for jets

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 193 total)